Balto "The animated movie"

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
For Christmas many moons ago I got the animated movie Balto and I would like to know if anyone had ever watched it when it first came out in the 90's? I saw clips of Balto on Youtube and I thought they did a wonderful job turning a real-life story into a great animated film and Steve Winwood's song Reach For The Light is such an inspirational song about never giving up on a hard task. I found it hard to believe that Kevin Bacon voiced Balto so well. And I am surprised that Balto got two sequels which I also have as well. Next to arctic foxes Arctic wolves are my second favorite animals

We’ve recently been learning a lot about Alaska & included the Iditarod and the inspiring true story behind it in our homeschool. We included not only a watch of the original movie but the 2 sequels (my kids like 1&3 best) and books from the library where we learned that Togo was actually the main dog who led the heroic medicine journey & Balto finished it towards the end-and got all the credit. The movie is available to rent on YT with a small fee or watch for free in a playlist of 27 clips-or borrow from library, that’s how we got all 3. After returning dvd kids wanted to watch again and I was so mad that after paying YT to rent it I couldn’t use my HDMI cord so my kids could watch it on tbr car dvd player. In an attempt to prevent piracy it wouldn’t allow it to be shown the wit accessory-but we could use the accessory to watch the actually pirated 27 clip playlist on the screen 🤷🏻‍♀️

I do remember when this came out. It was an attempt to crack into that Disney style animation, but it just didn't click. I never really watched it, but I remember playing on the overhead TVs when I worked at Blockbuster.

Yes, one of my favorites. I used to watch it quite often.

It has an excellent score as well composed by James Horner.

For Christmas many moons ago I got the animated movie Balto and I would like to know if anyone had ever watched it when it first came out in the 90's? I saw clips of Balto on Youtube and I thought they did a wonderful job turning a real-life story into a great animated film and Steve Winwood's song Reach For The Light is such an inspirational song about never giving up on a hard task. I found it hard to believe that Kevin Bacon voiced Balto so well. And I am surprised that Balto got two sequels which I also have as well. Next to arctic foxes Arctic wolves are my second favorite animals
Good lord I must have seen that 132 times 😉. Son was born in 93 and that was one of his favorites

Yeah, Togo was the real hero of that story. I have always like him a lot more

In 2011, Time magazine named Togo the most heroic animal of all time:

"The dog that often gets credit for eventually saving the town is Balto, but he just happened to run the last, 55-mile leg in the race. The sled dog who did the lion's share of the work was Togo. His journey, fraught with white-out storms, was the longest by 200 miles and included a traverse across perilous Norton Sound — where he saved his team and driver in a courageous swim through ice floes."

For the live action real story version, Watch "Togo" on Disney+

It's my husbands favorite movie and he tells absolutely everyone to watch it.
Thank you for sharing! While I have D+ we don’t watch a lot of TV and didn’t realize this was on there! In my previous post I mentioned that we have learned about Togo so my kids will be thrilled to have a new show to watch about it! Thanks!

We’ve recently been learning a lot about Alaska & included the Iditarod and the inspiring true story behind it in our homeschool. We included not only a watch of the original movie but the 2 sequels (my kids like 1&3 best) and books from the library where we learned that Togo was actually the main dog who led the heroic medicine journey & Balto finished it towards the end-and got all the credit. The movie is available to rent on YT with a small fee or watch for free in a playlist of 27 clips-or borrow from library, that’s how we got all 3. After returning dvd kids wanted to watch again and I was so mad that after paying YT to rent it I couldn’t use my HDMI cord so my kids could watch it on tbr car dvd player. In an attempt to prevent piracy it wouldn’t allow it to be shown the wit accessory-but we could use the accessory to watch the actually pirated 27 clip playlist on the screen 🤷🏻‍♀️
They have the Balto Adventure Pack which I have that includes Balto and the three sequels on DVD if your kids want to own it and you can find the set for a cheap price too on Amazon

I just watched Balto last weekend with my four year old granddaughter. I rented it through prime. She loved it.
We used to have it on DVD when my own kids were little and they loved it, too!

How well did Balto do at the theaters when it debuted? I had seen preview trailers of it and thought to myself this could be an awesome movie and how did Kevin Bacon get the role providing Balto's voice because I had never seen Kevin Bacon do animated movies before so was Balto his first animated cartoon voice?

How well did Balto do at the theaters when it debuted? I had seen preview trailers of it and thought to myself this could be an awesome movie and how did Kevin Bacon get the role providing Balto's voice because I had never seen Kevin Bacon do animated movies before so was Balto his first animated cartoon voice?

It did not do well at the box-office with around $11 Million total, but was a pretty solid seller on video which is why they made a couple of straight-to-video sequels.

I think with Balto they wanted to create a movie that was inspirational and wanted to base it on a real story as movies based on true stories were huge at the time. And with Kevin Bacon Bridget Fonda and even Phil Collins providing voice talent in Balto they knew that this was the movie everybody would like. But I think with the Balto sequels being released Balto soon became a popular movie due to the sequels

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter