ballet slippers or jazz shoes

zoemurr

DIS Veteran
Ugh.. my DD is in a play next weekend and they really want her to have black ballet slippers or jazz shoes. I'm having a hard time paying over $20 for something she will likely never wear again. (It is a camp, but they put on a professional type show.. she has a lead so I want her to look nice, but she is not a dancer.)

Anyway, I thought we would just run to Payless and pick them up, but none of the stores around here have her size (ladies 8.5) Are there any other chain stores that sell these at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Payless is really only good for kids ballet/jazz shoes. once you get into adult sizes you need to go to a dance shop to buy them. Sorry.

try a dance store. they usually have discontinued or gently used in a special bin.

Have you checked if ballet flats would be okay? The last play I was in, we were given the option to wear just black flats if we didn't have a dance part. Payless has some plain black ones for $15. Others with bows and stuff cost a bit more. Its worth checking to see if they are okay for her to wear. Those ballet/jazz shoes are expensive. I think I paid like $50 for my last pair and they only lasted through one show.

She is not dancing in them they are only for the look.

I realize she is not dancing in them, but I have never seen adult ballet shoes at payless. My dd17 is a dancer and once you outgrow the payless shoes (which are for the beginner dancers) the only place I have ever found adult ballet shoes is at dance stores.

The pp had a good suggestion, can she just wear ballet flats?

Check Walmart. They had some ballet slipper style shoes with soles on them, which I imagine would be fine for the play. They show them on clearance online, so I guess it would be a gamble whether or not they have them in the store, but worth a shot. They were under $10.

Discount Dance Supply has canvas ones for under $20 online, but it doesn't sound like you have time to wait on shipping. Although in my experience with them, they are pretty quick about getting things out.

does she have any friends who dance who would be her same shoe size? Maybe she could borrow a pair?

What about those Dr Scholl's Fast Flats? They look very similar to ballet shoes. Target has them for about $10.

Or what about isotoner slippers? They have a style that looks like a ballet slipper.

What about those Dr Scholl's Fast Flats? They look very similar to ballet shoes. Target has them for about $10.[/QUOT

Those look perfect thanks! I could even sew in a piece of elastic. I'll check out the isotoner too. We've asked friends but no luck. For a PP: Payless does sell adult ballet and jazz shoes they just didn't have her size in stock. I would not buy them if she was a dancer of course but for this they would have been fine.

What about those Dr Scholl's Fast Flats? They look very similar to ballet shoes. Target has them for about $10.[/QUOT

Those look perfect thanks! I could even sew in a piece of elastic. I'll check out the isotoner too. We've asked friends but no luck. For a PP: Payless does sell adult ballet and jazz shoes they just didn't have her size in stock. I would not buy them if she was a dancer of course but for this they would have been fine.
Be careful with isotoner. Some of them are VERY slick on the bottom. On a stage, that could be a big problem. What about getting a pair of used shoes and painting them? We paint or dye shoes black quite often to go with a particular costume for recitals. They look just fine for the one performance.

For a PP: Payless does sell adult ballet and jazz shoes they just didn't have her size in stock. I would not buy them if she was a dancer of course but for this they would have been fine.

Well then, I apologize. I have never seen adult ballet or Jazz shoes in Payless around here, only the kid ones. My dd17 dancer is only 5ft 1inch and she is a size 5 in shoes. So she actually shops in both the adult and kids section at payless!

Fast Flats and will sew a piece of elastic across the top so they look just like ballet shoes. I was afraid they would be slippery but DD tried them out on a small stage we have and she said they are not. She really didn't like the feel of the cardboard cutout on the bottom of the "real" shoes.. this one is a bit wider and they were $10 cheaper.

Thanks everyone! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter