Balcony Cleaning

jekjones1558

Always happy at Disney
I noticed a comment about this on another thread, and since we have just returned from BWV I am wondering: Who, if anyone, is responsible for cleaning the balconies? I have taken this responsibility because I don't know the answer. This trip there was LOTS of bird ---- on the balcony floor and railing and some on the furniture. This is not the first time I have noticed this problem. Who is supposed to keep these maintained -- mousekeeping, engineering, guests???? It is not a huge deal, but it does seem to be an ongoing issue.

mousekeeping - but if they cleaned your room early like at 10am and you don't check in until 4 pm - guess what the birds can make a mess.

while you are there if you want the balcony cleaned then you do it.

Mousekeeping only cleans DVC units when they are paided for it or you are staying longer than 7 days.

We actually checked in early, and, believe me, this was NOT 1 days worth of doo-doo. It was LOADED!

We were at BWV last month, and I believe it was maintenance cleaning the balconies with Power Washers and a Cherry Picker. These were the Villa units right behind the pool slide stairs. Im sure Housekeeping is supposed to check the balconies and clean them, but the serious cleaning is probably done on a rotational schedule using heavy equipment.

with the hurricane in the area - I bet there are a bunch of sea gulfs - these things (while lovely) are a pain. they come in groups - BIG groups.

that say if you are ever unhappy with the cleaning of your unit - just call housekeeping/maintence - they will generally come up and try to fix it for you.

Hmmm, no bird doop on our balcony earlier this month. I guess they must have done a clean before we got there. We were in a GORGEOUS top floor, BW view 2BR (5011-5013), the last unit of the last red building on the BW - just before the "Crest o' the Wave building.

I can't imagine cleaning the balcony on the 5th floor on the BW side with a power washer and a cherry-picker. I think it must have been cleaned by Mousekeeping (who were great!).

jekjones1558, maybe the previous folks left food out for the birds, or maybe Mousekeeping didn't have a putty knife and brillo pads they needed to do the cleaning after a gull party on your balcony a few days prior to your arrival(yuk!). ;)

pumpkinboy said:
Hmmm, no bird doop on our balcony earlier this month. I guess they must have done a clean before we got there. We were in a GORGEOUS top floor, BW view 2BR (5011-5013), the last unit of the last red building on the BW - just before the "Crest o' the Wave building.

You got the villa I've always wanted!!! I've tried to get it, but it hasn't been available when we've checked in. Did stay next door in 5007-5009 once though. :)

Jean,
I think it is a bit of a problem. Last year when you were kind enough to give us your lights, you saying that you thought the balcony was really dirty....we were just so happy to be there....we didn't care!!! Not even dd's diahrrea could cause us dismay....bird poop....that was definitely no problem!!!

:rotfl2:

Beca

pumpkinboy - we were practically right next door ! - but 2 floors down - last villa in Crest of the Wave right up against the red building! Momoftwins+2 was right above us on the 5th floor - we ran into her at the pirates cruise! Our balconies did not have any bird doo - but they were filthy with mold (the floor, railings and trim - the chairs and table were clean) - they really need a good power washing!

I would definitely not be happy to find a "dirty" balcony - I think it is our (the owners) responsibility to make sure they hear about it and send someone to clean it - I agree with the OP - anything more than recent droppings would be unacceptable to me and I live at the shore - I'm very used to seagulls and what they can do.

On our last trip at BCV - when we arrived in the room I went out to the balcony and leaned over to see the view. After a few minutes I had a bleach stain across my tummy-area of my t-shirt - so I guess they clean those balcony railings with bleach.

Jekjones, this is a very good question. I've wondered it myself. Last year our studio at BCV was so nasty you couldn't even sit out there. There was mildew everywhere and bird poop too. No one had touched it in quite a while. We ended up wiping it all down so that we could sit out there and enjoy the epcot fireworks one night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter