Balancing strengths and interests with profitability when choosing a major

sk!mom

DIS Veteran
Yes, another college thread since it's that time of life for some of us and it consumes our thoughts.

Had dinner Friday night with DD's boyfriend and his family. The conversation turned to them catching us up on many of their friends- who was changing majors, schools, etc... In this conversation, DD's boyfriend referenced a couple of articles on the worst college majors.

It got me to thinking, how do you help your high school/ college student balance what they are interested in and what will be profitable?

Would you let your student pursue something on the "worst" list?

With my own DD, I put a premium on her strengths and interest and then helped her find a good school for those. She's a fashion design major with plans to get a masters in business. Her boyfriend is an engineering major. They are at different schools as they both chose their school based on the strength of their major at a particular school.

Tough question. Neither of my kids asked to pursue one of the worst majors, but my DD came close. Yes, I did nix the idea because it was not practical. It also wasn't necessarily one of her strengths. In the end, my DD got a general studies type degree because she never did find something she was really strong in.

My son started out in engineering but has recently switched to computer information systems. He personally cares about being in a profitable major.

Yes I would let my child pursue something on the worst list. I would encourage them on a different path, but its their life and their decision. Besides, they are so young when entering college that they have plenty of time to make mistakes and change their mind. There is no guarantee anywhere, I know very successful art majors and I know engineering majors who aren't.

So I'm currently in a position that I loathe, hate and despise. I took it because it was a 10% pay increase and also the formula that they use to calculate my pension is higher. I left a position that I loved to do so.
The new position is causing me sleep deprivation, I get sick like clockwork on Sunday nights because I'm dreading monday morning. When I come home from work I feel like a limp noodle.

Don't get me wrong this is probably a great position for some one who likes this type of work but its horrible for me.

I can't imagine my kids being stuck in a job like this for 5, 10 20 years. no matter how great the salary.
I'm wishing my days away. Seriously, my coworkers laugh at me because I actually went to my boss and volunteered to be the next person laid off.

I am a total follow your passion convert. lol

My limits to my kids' career choices are self supporting and legal. I would make sure they are aware of the financial aspects of their choices, but it is up to them as to what they want to pursue.

Kids today are so much smarter about their majors than we were back in the 1960's. Then, it was "education for the sake of education"; we would have torn our throats out before we would admit that we actually wanted to make money - that would have been so bourgeois and establishment. Thus, many of us got degrees in "art history", French literature and the like. That diploma and 25 cents would get you a cup of coffee (remember, this was back in the 1960's - nobody had heard of a double mochachino with half-caf foam and an extra shot of espresso for $7) and the first thing a job interviewer asked you was, "How fast can you type?" In the early 70's, my sister's college boyfriend was a "trust fund baby" and was getting his degree in folklore and film history. He was going to go to Hollywood to be a cutting-edge director. Last we heard of him, he was in his seventh year of college and was working in a record store (trust fund had run out).

I've been poor and I've been, well, if not rich at least not-poor and believe me, not-poor is better. If I had it to do over again, I would have picked a major that would have given me a better chance at "rich".

Op- they offer Fashion Design at our Uni
A friend went back to get that degree - stocked shelves at a boutique for a while
She's now the secretary in Eng dept at Uni
I think that is a super hard career to succeed in
Interior Decor is another- it has 3x the students of that than any other arts degree at our small Uni- like 250!

I work in education, but I am not a parent. So I have a little bit different perspective on this topic. I am an advisor at a small career college. I talk to prospective students everyday who have a 4-year degree but are unable to find employment in their field of study. They are college/university graduates working minimum wage and/or temporary jobs. They are unable to make ends meet on their own. Many have moved back in with their parents because they can't afford to live on their own. They come to see me to get into school to earn a diploma or 2-year degree in a field where they can go straight to work when they get done. Many times students pick their college major based on their life's passion. If they are passionate about writing, they major in English. If they are passionate about studying people and cultures, they major in Anthropology. I could go on, but you get the idea. There is nothing wrong with being passionate about something. But it is also important to be realistic about career possibilities. I coach people to pick a career they will enjoy, but also a career that is in demand. If they are gainfully employed, they will hopefully have the time and money to pursue their passion as well.

I have respect for anyone working for a living. There are low profitability jobs/careers that we absolutely must have to keep our country running. Huge respect for those going into social work or becoming clergy, for example. In my own family, though, I absolutely will guide them into a profession with a high salary. I've stated this before, but I would never tell my kids to pursue their passion if it meant they couldn't afford to live and do the things in life that are important to them. I'm actually hoping all my kids come to work for me in business administration. There really is no salary cap and being your own boss gives you flexibility to pursue your passion outside of working.

I checked out some of the lists and some of the things on them are majors that I would assume many people are fine with- teaching (I'm a teacher), pastoral studies.
http://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/college/T012-S001-worst-college-majors-for-your-career/index.html
http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2073703_2073654_2073673,00.html

DD's interests growing up were theater and the serious study of ballet. Three of her friends are forgoing college and pursuing professional dance at an expense certainly greater than a state Uni. I was privately thrilled when she decided that she didn't want to go down that path so maybe that's part of why I was OK with a less clear major (at least she's in college.:rotfl:) I also know that she would be miserable in a STEM major and career.

Her boyfriend is interested in engineering and personally concerned with future profitability. His parents didn't push him in that direction.

I'm enjoying the responses as, of course, this is a concern to me and I see (and think about) all the perspectives.

My neighbors DD has Ballet degree
She still traches at the small dance studio in town- same job she had all thru College- she planned to go to NYC but it didn't pan out

My degree in Music Education is serving just as much purpose as my degree in underwater basket-weaving. NONE! Well, ok, it says I'm college educated, that's about it. I'm not teaching anymore (thanks budget cuts) and honestly I have no desire after being in the classroom to ever go back to teaching (now working with marching units and such, bring it on!).

The area that I live in is also mostly warehouse work or you work the tourist trap nearby. If you aren't picking/packing/shipping for one place, you're doing it for another. There's some government, a little bit of education and retail. Nothing overly exciting, nothing that really pays well (unless you know people to get you into the government jobs). So it's a struggle. Also, this area isn't the cheapest. So to try and hold your own, but then look for work outside your area, only to not be able to afford to move if offered better, yeah, it sucks.

As far as kids going to school. No one knows what life will be like 4-5 years down the road. The recession killed my teaching degree in that all districts were cutting everything they could. I graduated college in 2003. So to try and scope out what will be profitable and "in demand" 4 years ahead of time is a very hard thing to do.

When looking to go to college, I was told that music teachers are in demand and they kept feeding that to us throughout our 4 years... When we graduated from college, we all said, ok, where are the jobs? Why? There weren't any.

Last edited:
My dd is a film production major/creative writing minor. She excelled in high school in all areas, including science and math. She can't stand them however, and arts have always been her passion. She knows she may not make a lot of money in her choice, but I would rather her be poor doing something she loves, than end up like her parents. Neither of us have jobs we really like, and still don't make a stellar paycheck.

OP, I think it's a great question and certainly one parents should discuss with their children. I've seen kids get a degree in a major that had no job prospects while accumulating $60k plus in loans, and I had to wonder whether the parent just didn't discuss this with their kid, or they were clueless too? Yes, it's nice to follow your passion, but maybe after you're a little more financially secure?

Interesting topic. Yesterday we attended a college fair with DD that was an assembly of small liberal art colleges. The opening speaker addressed the issues of what are thought to be the non profitable, non employable majors ie anthropology, archeology, humanities and social sciences etc. I think some of what she had to say might have some validity but I think a lot of what she had to say was marketing to calm fears of parents whose kids say "I want a liberal arts degree" and the parent immediately pictures their kid living in their basement forever.

MY DS is 4 months away from being done with graduate school and will enter into a very lucrative career path - Physical Therapy.
We looked at his strengths, weaknesses and passions when he was in high school and explored labor statistics, wage surveys and education requirements. He went to college non declared, he explored and looked a round a bit. He spent 5 years finishing his undergrad but we were confident he had chosen a good path. There was a brief blip on the radar when he was a Freshman in college and political science caught his interest, that lasted a semester and he returned to his roots. Exercise, fitness, nutrition health sciences and helping others.

DD is a completely different creature. She is super smart, very socially minded and far more apt to want to follow a passion than to be practical and find a career path that is self sustaining. She is almost 17, a Jr in high school. Over the past 6 months she has wanted to be an Editor, a Writer, a Baker, an Athletic Trainer and a Neurologist. Currently, we are back on Neurology. This means med school, perhaps a liberal arts education will be beneficial, we are exploring that topic now.

I would steer my kids away from what we deem to be a useless degree. I am all for find a career that is sustaining and pursue your passions as a hobby. One must be realistic I think when guiding their children towards independence.
I am not one of those parents that says "you can do anything you set your mind too" I don't believe that, its not realistic. Sure, some goals are harder than others but some are impossible and parents need to keep their kids feet on the ground, IMO.

I also think there are gender issues at play on this subject. Males have been the traditional breadwinners and it's more acceptable for females to pursue their passion and not have the pressure of supporting a family.

I definitely think there is a balance between picking a career you like and making sure it is one that will allow you to pay the bills. Would I say I am passionate about my job? Probably not, but I think loving or being passionate about your job is at one extreme end of the spectrum much like hating your job is. My job matches my strengths and interests and allows me to be successful in my career. It also pays pretty well and there is a definite demand for people with my background.

I am my no means saying money is everything, but it is also very liberating to have a career which pays well, even though it is demanding. There is freedom involved with not worrying about how to pay bills every month. My job also allows me to pursue my hobbies and interests to the fullest outside of work. I suppose I could try to find a job that I "love" more, but not at the expense of giving up the financial freedom of having excellent benefits and being able to spend on my interests.

deciding on a major early on wasn't something we pushed w/dd-the majority of people I've known either changed majors one or more times in college or if they didn't like working in/couldn't survive financially on the major they had went back and got an additional different degree. we figure that the first 2 years of college are the general ed years and actually a pretty good way to be exposed to different options. we've also always stress to dd that 12 units is the minimum for full time status at her school-but so long as she's knocking out those general ed classes she can always take 1 or 2 other classes in something just because it catches her interest.

dd has always had an interest in the arts so she would make comments in high school and early on in college about some of those 'worst' degree options. all I ever counseled her on it was that she needed to keep in mind and research the percentage of people who majored in it that actually were able to become fully employed WITHIN it (not perm. p/t while doing a minimum wage job to make ends meet), what the average person in that industry earned (not the 1% of top achievers) and if she really wanted that which she loved doing for enjoyment to be her J-O-B (or would she rather have that as a side aspect of her life for personal fulfillment and enjoyment). as it happens dd took a general ed class that sparked an interest she never really knew she had (and a talent for)-computers. she's decided that she wants to major in computer science. she's still hoping to get into the artsy aspects she enjoys by taking the different classes in animation and such but she's done enough research to know what skills her degree will provide to make her marketable in the short term post graduation while she hopes to continue taking classes and getting the experience she needs to meld her prior passion w/her current.

I work as an academic advisor at a 4 year university. I see students on a daily basis that are only in the major because their parents want them in it, or for the money. Many of these students are academically unprepared for the rigors of the major. They struggle in the math and entry level courses, and if lucky certify into the major. They then face an upward battle of struggling through their classes. Many continue to do poorly by the departments standards and some will not make it to graduation due to decertification from the major due to failure to maintain minimum eligibility. We talk to these students about alternative majors/pathways to graduation. The challenge is to get these students to understand that there are other pathways to careers in the field. While this might not always be true, it's important to show that there are alternative pathways to careers. The dangerous thing is their fixation on a career due to money alone.

While the degrees that don't make money might not be ideal for everyone, you need to look into what companies hire individuals with these majors and why? Where are they used? It requires thinking outside the box. You might be surprised to find who is hiring anthropologists and why? Likewise individuals with backgrounds in education.

My own children are still in elementary school, so we are no where near to having this conversation. However working as an academic advisor has led me to keep an open mind with regards to what my children major in and why. To understand that everyone's academic abilities are different, and that some major/career paths are just not right for them.

Here's my two cents for those whose children will be starting college this fall or next year; look into the requirements for the degree. Evaluate what your child's strengths and weaknesses are. Have a realistic conversation about what the expectations are to obtain the degree. If you know that your child struggles in math and the major is math heavy, talk about it; is this the major for them, what other degrees can lead to careers in the field? Where did your child place in their math placement scores? Did they place in basic math when the university's 4 year plan starts with them placing in pre-calc? If so have a conversation about how they will be spending the next two semesters working towards the pre-calc class that they should have started in. How will that impact their timeline to completion? Having a realistic idea of what is expected of them from both the school and you is an important component of supporting their academic endeavors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter