Bagless Theme Park Days- HOW???

We made a somewhat spontaneous visit to Animal Kingdom after a day at HS a couple weeks ago, and since we were only going in for a couple hours, I left my backpack locked in the trunk, and took with me just ID, my phone (we were just at Disney for the day, so no magic band for charging, but Apple Pay is just as convenient) detached my car fob and about $20 in cash. No cargo shorts, just plain pockets.
It was okay, but I found myself sort of stressed over the possibility of losing my phone or ID or key from my pocket, especially when sitting on rides. (It didn't happen or come close to happening, but I was still thinking about it all the time)
I carry a big handbag every day of my life, so a backpack at Disney is no big deal for me. Going bagless is just not my cup of tea.

I lost a cell phone many moons ago when it flew out of my pocket on a roller coaster (not at WDW). That was the day I learned that pockets in men's jeans are longer than those in women's. I haven't tried to go bagless for this reason. I do always attempt to travel light though. Generally, I've taken a cross body bag.

Of course now I travel with a baby which means I have to tote around a huge diaper bag, it's paired down as much as I can get it, but it's still way more than I like to cart around.

No bag (mom with two teen boys (who carry nothing)): shorts with zippers (ll bean). I put credit card, $20, AP and car key in one zippered front pocket. Phone in another zippered pocket. (Checked new phone would fit before buying it.) I wear a hat and magicband. That's it. I don't need anything else for a few hours. We drink water at fountains or hold a cup from CS. I can see someone who stays all day and night at the park needing more.

That said bag check was far faster this trip. The one time we do have a bag is when it might rain- then we'll pack ponchos.

I can't do it. I'm usually going early and staying late at the parks without going back to the resort. That means sunscreen, water bottle, camera and extra batteries, phone, a monopod for the camera, a light jacket for cooler evenings, and assorted other things.

Phone, credit card, id, room key (I stay at the Swolphin), cash, and a lip gloss is all I need. (I'm now thinking about the jerk.) I take long mid-day breaks at the pool and nap, change clothes for the evening, take a bath, etc. or I'd have carry sunscreen. I put on sunscreen before leaving in the morning, before the pool and depending on how much daylight, for the evening. I put my things in a small wristlet which easily fits in a dress pocket, or if I'm traveling with a guy, I'll ask him to put it in a backpocket. Then I wear it on my wrist, or under my arm.

Phone: pocket
Credit card, annual pass, a little cash: pocket
Sunglasses: on, or on head
Magic band.

If you want to carry more, google Sparkle Skirts! Running skirts with 2 very large pockets on hidden shorts, & a large hidden zip pocket in front. Genius!

No bag here. Incredibly liberating! Try it. You really don't need all the stuff. You just think you do.
Totally right. Since our kids outgrew the stroller and left diapers and sippie cups behind, we haven't carried anything bigger than a small cross-body purse into the parks. My husband chooses shorts with big pockets (and men have the advantage there). The kids carry their own things -- again, in fanny packs or small cross-body purses.

What do we carry?

Always:
- Tickets and money in a zippered portion of the small purse -- looking forward to Magic Bands for our next trip
- Eye drops -- I have a pretty bad case of dry eye syndrome
- Prescription sunglasses -- I push them to the top of my head for indoor activities or restaurants; I personally can see well enough without them to manage these things, but if I needed to "trade glasses", I could add a small hard-sided case to my small purse

Sometimes:
- Phones -- not really all that necessary or useful in the parks
- A small camera -- as a photography teacher, I can't take phone cameras seriously; anyway, we already have so many Disney pictures
- A chapstick-type sunscreen -- we aren't "bad burners" and really only need a touch for our faces occasionally.
- Usually a hat

I never thought I could do it, but I did! Surprised the heck out of me.
My husband asked me "what do you ACTUALLY touch and need in your purse while we are in the park?"
Turns out, not much. A couple of Advil fit in my phone case/wallet that fits in my pocket. A few other little things and that's it.
My purse was mostly an emotional thing. It just felt comforting to have it. I'm pretty minimal too, I don't carry much in my purse and it's very organized.

I think if you have kids with you, that's a completely different story.

I also see these huge backpacks, stuffed to capacity as if the family is going to summit Everest. Now that I don't get. Who needs all that stuff? I assume it's jackets for later, lots of snacks and water, etc.
We go rogue, buy drinks and food at the parks. No little kids with us so it's just easier.

It's incredibly liberating and light. I was not a believer until I really thought it through.

Now we've gone bagless the past several times. I usually wear cargo shorts, and try to minimize what I put in them. Nice to know that bag check has gotten better though

I just don't think we're cut out for going bagless. There's too much stuff I want to bring. I don't mind carrying our backpack, either.
Its not so much the carrying, I was used to carrying what seemed like the contents of my house when the kids were small (thank goodness for strollers and kids that liked to walk ;)). It was more to avoid the security bag lines, I had heard that they were getting really long and tiresome.

You guys are awesome. I think we'll be able to do it. must find small wallet and buy some cargo shorts. :thumbsup2

We take everything in with us either carried in our hands or in pockets (love SkirtSports). Then after we get through security, we head straight into a store and ask for a small bag. All of the hand held stuff goes in there for ease of carrying it around all day. As we purchase things during the day, we can just put it in the bag we already have.

I tried going bagless but had issues with my prescription glasses and sunglasses...they did not fit in a pocket or got scratched if in my DH's pocket. I have a small Dooney pouchette cross body that has only one zippered interior pocket, holds phone , credit cards, cash, small sunscreen, glasses and I can go thru security in a flash. Have a carbiner for my magic band puck that attaches to the bag.

We must be Disney twins! I use the Haunted Mansion pouchette bag, and carry my phone, a small wallet, and some individually wrapped hand wipes and mosquito wipes. I attach the carabiner with the puck to the key strap that is attached to the inside of the bag or to the crossbody strap. It would have room for a small poncho, but I have a nylon poncho, so it's not as compact as the disposables (I use an Overland Equipment Donner bag if there's a high chance of rain and need to carry the poncho). I don't have to carry separate glasses, as I have Transitions lenses.

I used to go bagless, with just the items listed above in pockets, but with the advent of the metal detectors (and going solo, so no one to keep an eye on my phone and wallet while going through the detector) it's just easier to use the small bag. I don't carry water, since it's readily available at any QS, and since I'm constantly searching for A/C, I don't tend to spend a lot of time in the sun, and my morning application of sunscreen usually lasts all day.

We got back from a fabulous wdw and I used a thin / light cross body bag my dd used on her grad trip to Europe. It folded so it fit in my pocket and I held my phone as we walked through security. It was the best purchase. Once through- I unfolded it and it carried some cash/drink crystals packets. The magic band is a godsend. I got it at a travel store - Sail- in the Gta(Toronto area).

We're a family of 6 and try to go bagless whenever possible. DH often wears cargo shorts so this helps some, but we have a rule, "if you can't carry it or it doesn't fit, it doesn't go to the parks".

We bring the bare necessities with us.
Phone= pocket
ID, credit card, small amount of cash =pocket
Magic band =wrist
car keys = pocket

We rarely bring water. You can find water fountains easily.
If it's raining then DH might carry a few ponchos in this pant pockets, but only if the forecast calls for rain lasting several hours at above 70%. Anything less we'll chance it. We won't melt.

I would love to join the bagless brigade! Quick question for those mentioning small cross body bags, do you use the bagless line or the bag line? I always thought that anything other than perhaps a wallet in a pocket counted as a bag. TIA!

I'm surprised more people don't bring sunscreen. I burn easily and usually end up in wdw during the summer so need to reapply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter