Bag suggestions for first timer

Do you know what you need to swipe to get back into your locker? Is it your park ticket? If yours is on your phone, do you just need to print it out for the rides that require you to put phones in the locker? If you had zip up shorts could you zip your phone in there?
We always used our ticket - it's the bar code on it that you need to access the locker. We had the hard plastic cards - if your ticket is on your phone, you'll have to get a card from a locker attendant. Nope, no phone in your pocket on the three metal detector rides not even with a zipper - not sure about the rest of the " no loose items" rides as I always use a fanny pack so not an issue for us on those.

Would you say that stopping for a locker is a big hinderance at the park? Does it cost you time and is it a big pain to stop for them? Debating between a Fanny pack and small backpack and curious how big of an advantage avoiding lockers would be. Thanks!

Do you know what you need to swipe to get back into your locker? Is it your park ticket? If yours is on your phone, do you just need to print it out for the rides that require you to put phones in the locker? If you had zip up shorts could you zip your phone in there?
I used my park ticket, but I think room key might work . Must've 'accidentally,' used my room key at VC, because when I went to open locker after the ride w ticket, it wouldn't open. Attendant was so nice, and suggested I try the room key. worked. But I use a plastic park ticket in the lanyard everywhere else.
I know I had phone on Hagrid's, MiB, Gringotts, since I have pictures all through the queue. Definitely not on VC, RIp RIde, Hulk. Hubby had to go all the way back to lockers at Hulk one time, because he'd forgotten he had a carabiner on his belt.
I mostly dont' mind the lockers, because the rides are such fun and intense, and I really, really want to bring all my stuff/backpack to the parks. Hubby much prefers a fanny pack. I think lockers at FJ and MiB, take a few extra mins, because they're way off to the side of the entrance Gringotts is still a bit of a cluster/madhouse. Don't like those. Hope they'll change that set up one day.

If your park ticket is on your phone you can get a paper locker ticket from the ride attendant. We have also used our room card - the Premier resort cards have a bar code for the express pass that works for the lockers too. Not sure about non-premier hotels.

I carry a small/medium size backpack with me and can always get it in the locker. I usually take my big refillable water bottle and umbrella out of the backpack and stick those in separately and everything fits. Only issue I’ve had is the straps sometimes getting caught out of the locker. Had that happen at velocicoaster and the team member had to go release the locker on the other side when I took my stuff out.

Rent a big old locker at the front of the park and leave all your "just in case" stuff there. You don't really need immediate access to most of that stuff so free yourselves up and leave it behind. Carry something small with your absolute musts with you.

So just to clarify... if we used a fanny pack, we could use a carabiner to attach the freestyle cups to it and then we could take them on all rides except the metal detector ones without getting a locker? I’ve been looking at some pics of freestyle cups and it looks like they might not have handles anymore so maybe that’s not an option?

Last edited:
We just got back. On our first day, I had my three-prong fanny pack and one of those thin, packable backpacks, which I brought to put souvenirs in since I knew the kids would be getting wands and would want to take off their robes when it got hot. Well, after one day of paying for the big lockers and stuffing the backpack in and out of them, the backpack completely ripped along multiple seams, and I had to throw it away in the hotel room. From then on we only used the free lockers. The kids kept their wands in their robe wand pockets for rides that they could keep them, and we put them in the free lockers when needed. It was honestly a relief to not have to deal with the big backpack anymore.

I will add that we had a stroller where we kept bottles of water, but I never left souvenir bags under it because I didn't want them to get stolen. I found using the room key on my lanyard to be the easiest thing for the lockers. We didn't need the lockers our last time on Hagrid's, and we skipped past a lot of folks who were in there dealing with them. The lockers at Gringotts were by far the most crowded and unpleasant, every time.

This is all good info. to know, as we are also a WDW family going to Universal for the first time. We usually each carry a backpack or drawstring bag to keep our phone, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, water in.

A drawstring bag should be fit into the lockers at Universal without a problem. If that's what your normally take to WDW, I see no reason to alter what you normally carry around with you day to day in the parks. I think it will work just as well at Universal

Would you say that stopping for a locker is a big hinderance at the park? Does it cost you time and is it a big pain to stop for them? Debating between a Fanny pack and small backpack and curious how big of an advantage avoiding lockers would be. Thanks!
Stopping for the lockers is practically part of the line. The lockers are always incredibly close to the ride. It is not something that is a massive waste of time. I always bring a bag with me and I never felt like I was wasting a large amount of time putting the back into or taking the bag out of the locker.

We just got back. On our first day, I had my three-prong fanny pack and one of those thin, packable backpacks, which I brought to put souvenirs in since I knew the kids would be getting wands and would want to take off their robes when it got hot. Well, after one day of paying for the big lockers and stuffing the backpack in and out of them, the backpack completely ripped along multiple seams, and I had to throw it away in the hotel room. From then on we only used the free lockers. The kids kept their wands in their robe wand pockets for rides that they could keep them, and we put them in the free lockers when needed. It was honestly a relief to not have to deal with the big backpack anymore.

I will add that we had a stroller where we kept bottles of water, but I never left souvenir bags under it because I didn't want them to get stolen. I found using the room key on my lanyard to be the easiest thing for the lockers. We didn't need the lockers our last time on Hagrid's, and we skipped past a lot of folks who were in there dealing with them. The lockers at Gringotts were by far the most crowded and unpleasant, every time.
Thanks for the first hand report! That is such helpful information!

So just to clarify... if we used a fanny pack, we could use a carabiner to attach the freestyle cups to it and then we could take them on all rides except the metal detector ones without getting a locker? I’ve been looking at some pics of freestyle cups and it looks like they might not have handles anymore so maybe that’s not an option?
The freestyle cups definitely do not have handles, at least last summer and fall they didn't. While they fit in my small day pack (Osprey hiking pack) outer side pocket, (they did spill a bit on the bag) when my daughter and I went back for horror nights we brought a cup holder with a strap we bought ahead of time on etsy made out of neoprene and found it was super useful! We also used the strap for masks and other items with loops.

Last edited:
I used a mini loungefly and it fit. I would use any bag that has material you can shape easily and Not anything too big. I also recently got into LUG. They have great bags. I got a small one that will hold a water bottle as well as my phone.

I also say a small backpack will work really well! I remember the Incredible Hulk lockers being the smallest but i could fit my smaller backpack inside easily. I borrowed some information from the internet which should help!

three different sizes: Forbidden Journey’s lockers are standard-sized (11 in. wide x 11 in. tall x 16 in. deep), which is good for holding smaller items, like purses, phones, and small backpacks. At Men in Black, Mummy, Hulk, Rip Ride Rockit, and Escape from Gringotts, there are two locker sizes available: standard (14 in. x 5.5 in. x 16.9 in.) and large (12 in. x 13 in. x 16.9 in.).

The “standard” size locker is free for the duration of your ride, but the larger ones cost $2 upfront. Furthermore, any ride locker will start to charge an additional $3 per extra 30 minutes, up to a $20 maximum.

And some photos of the incredible hulk, these are smaller letter box style lockers, although you can see they do have larger ones too, but i've found even the smaller letterbox lockers are quite deep and can fit a small backpack (not a stuffed backpack). :-)

Also you can have as many lockers as you have tickets, so you could try splitting down some things into multiple lockers, but might be a bit of a hassle.

lockers2.jpg

lockers1.jpg

My teen and I were there a couple of weeks ago, but we travel light — glasses/sunglasses, hats, wallets, phones (sunblock applied at the hotel before we head to parks). On days I did not wear cargo shorts, I had a fanny pack for sunglasses on rides, so we rarely had to use the lockers. We did the lockers last trip and found the locker rooms were often chaos and could take up to 10 minutes before and after a ride. We picked a day we wanted to ride the water rides in IOA where we used ziplok bags and the fanny pack, knowing we would be soaked for a solid 3-4 hours that day. For the three coasters that use metal detectors, we would dump everything in our hats (or fanny pack) and place those in the locker. People who use their phones for tickets had to find the attendant and pick up a card to scan for locker entry. Large free lockers are limited in number (and, for Velocicoaster, in a different location). Lanyards came in handy, and made it easy to access and keep our ticket and show our hotel key/Express Pass. There is no amount of money saved that would make me want to carry a cup around a theme park all day, or any other item I won't need.

We travel the same for WDW parks, except with my wife, and have ever since my kid was grew of stroller (age 4?). Sometimes we have a day backpack, sometimes I just hold her wallet in my pocket (because women are cheated out of real pockets in their clothes)

Last edited:
And some photos of the incredible hulk, these are smaller letter box style lockers, although you can see they do have larger ones too, but i've found even the smaller letterbox lockers are quite deep and can fit a small backpack (not a stuffed backpack). :-)

Also you can have as many lockers as you have tickets, so you could try splitting down some things into multiple lockers, but might be a bit of a hassle.

View attachment 663529

View attachment 663530
So helpful! Thanks for taking the time to post!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter