• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Baffled at Target

MIChessGuy

(Almost) Too Old for Roller Coasters
I had another shopping experience at Target today where I could not get an eGift card or a Target Circle credit to work. My hope is that someone with a proper understanding (as opposed to my understanding) of the Target app can chime in on the following--

(1) The other day I added a $25 Target eGift card to my store account.
(2) Some leftover Target Circle earnings were already in there, so I had $28-something dollars that I thought were ready to go.
(3) I ring up my stuff at self-checkout and open the "Wallet" thing in the Target app.
(4) Both the eGift card and the Target Circle are toggled green, which I assumed (hah....) meant they would apply to my stuff.
(5) I scan the barcode in the Wallet and tap my credit card to the checkout pad, assuming it would be about ten bucks after the eGift/Circle funds applied.
(6) Upon reviewing my receipt, nothing applied--not the eGift and not the Target Circle. My credit card ended up covering the entire amount due.

Now eventually I will get them to work somehow, but what baffles me is how challenging it is to *get* these pre-existing funds to work. I log in, I add things, I toggle switches to green, I open a barcode and scan it, and by this point I feel like it would be faster to learn to pilot the space shuttle. And it still doesn't work.

I must have left out a step, but what? Any thoughts?

I basically do what you stated above but I have my RedCard loaded into my Target app already. So it always takes off the Circle earnings, GC balance, and then uses my RedCard to cover the rest. Maybe next time, wait for the Target wallet to go through first and then it will most likely tell you that there is a balance left that you need to cover with another type of payment.

Picking target wallet from the payment options and then scanning the wallet doesn't finish the transaction. You still need to tap something in that box, it's like finish and pay or something. Then you would pay any balance left with a card. I don't know why they have this additional step but they do. I just paid with a gc in my wallet yesterday but it's been this way for as long as I can remember. I don't think it's an option if you go with a cashier but try may also have an equivalent button to push after the scan the wallet barcode.

Scanning your wallet at Target is initially for coupons, offers and Target circle points. You have to select to pay with your wallet after scanning. If you have a red card attached, it will use the gift card and circle points (if toggled on) and then your red card. If you don’t have a red card, using the wallet will take your gift card, points, and then ask for another form of payment.

It’s set up that way because there are coupons, and that way people can use the coupons but choose to pay in a different way from the red card even if you have one in your app.

I did have the RedCard toggled off because I preferred to use another card to pay the final balance. But everything else was toggled on (even though it ultimately didn't work). Sounds like I missed a step right after scanning the barcode. In any event, I will be back for Round Two in the near future and will pay more attention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter