Bad service and rude employees at Disneyland

old lady

DIS Veteran
I had a bad experience at Disneyland. I paid to get photos for my family’s day at the park. The photographers were rude and when I complained the management didn’t seem to care. The park was dirty, some of employees had piercings, weird hair coloring, and tattoos over their body. Some even had unkempt beards. Knotts Berry farm and Magic Mountain parks were clean, but Disney.

I know that Disney previously had strict (some might say… outdated?) dress code requirements but I think with Covid, staff shortages and the fact that it’s 2022 they have loosened up. Some of your complaints may be legit but I’m not sure how hair colour or tattoos would impact your visit. For your issues with the staff demeanour and cleanliness I would suggest contacting them via the online form.

That's a little strange. We were there 12 days starting just before Christmas, and we actually commented how clean the parks were. Yes, I noticed a lot of changes in cast guidelines, but my feeling is they are long overdue. Nails can now be painted most colors, changes to hair, beards, jewelry, but nothing that affected my visit. In fact, with one exception, I really didn't even notice until it dawned on me it had changed.

Disney updated their cast member dress code back in April, to be a more inclusive environment.

"Disney has announced that they will be allowing flexibility in how Cast Members identify and personally express themselves. This means that gender-inclusive hairstyles, jewelry, nail styles, costume choices, and appropriate visible tattoos will be a part of the permitted policies for those at work. " (bold not mine) Disney says it's updating its dress code to "not only remain relevant in today's workplace," but to also enable employees to "better express their cultures and individuality at work."

Though we run conservative minded (DD got her own ears' pierced at 18); we welcomed the dress code changes and ability for CM to identify themselves as they are. This is step forward, not backwards IMHO.

The cleanliness had improved since reopening with our visits, last being in November. Another pegged for MLK weekend.

Edit - agreed - survey and online in specific reasons for rudeness would be helpful feedback to give for your experience.

I had a bad experience at Disneyland. I paid to get photos for my family’s day at the park. The photographers were rude and when I complained the management didn’t seem to care. The park was dirty, some of employees had piercings, weird hair coloring, and tattoos over their body. Some even had unkempt beards. Knotts Berry farm and Magic Mountain parks were clean, but Disney.

Not sure what the bold has to do with bad service or rude employees.

The photographers were rude
Did you purchase PhotoPass, and are you saying all the photographers were rude?

I could understand being frustrated if there was one unpleasant encounter, but since I have always found the photographers to be very friendly, it’s hard to believe that every photographer was rude.

Can you elaborate on your experience?

I didn't know about those changes in policy, glad to hear ppl can have beards now and fun hair. I've always found it silly that there was that clean shaven rule. A+ for keeping up with the times Disney.

Not sure what the bold has to do with bad service or rude employees.

Nothing, obviously. Was only commenting on the point I knew something about, hoping it helps the OP or whoever else is reading understand why it's different from when they perhaps were there last. As I mentioned, bolded portions weren't mine.

Nothing, obviously. Was only commenting on the point I knew something about, hoping it helps the OP or whoever else is reading understand why it's different from when they perhaps were there last. As I mentioned, bolded portions weren't mine.

The person you quoted was directing their response towards the OP. Not your post. That's why they quoted the OP and not your post.

I was responding to the OPs comment on tattoos, piercings and colored hair. None of that has anything to do with how one performs their job.

I will be honest and say that there was a time when I would have agreed with you about what I considered an appropriate "look" for a Disney employee. I used to like the squeaky-clean ideal. Well, honestly, I still do, but I'm the mother of 2 almost-19-year-olds, a 21-year-old, a 39-year-old, and a 41-year-old. When the older 2 were kids and we went to DL, I expected the "wholesome" Disney CM look. It's what I grew up with and I equated it to the Disney image. Well, times change. I've grown with the times, though I'll admit that it hasn't always been easy to let go of those older views of appropriateness as my mother had very strong thoughts on that. But having kids in such a broad range of ages, I've learned to stretch my previous limits. I've even come to embrace things that I never would have previously (for instance, I seriously considered getting my nose pierced along with my twin teens a few years back, but it just seemed kind of dumb for a 60-year-old woman). When my 39-year-old turned 16, I went with her to get her belly-button pierced (I was just so glad it wasn't her tongue). My 21-year-old got a couple of tattoos this year and I admit to cringing at the thought at first. My 41-year-old wanted to get his ear pierced when he was 13 and I said no. His response was to come back at me with, "Well, don't you find that sexist? You let K (little sister) get her ears pierced." When I considered that, I decided he made an excellent point and gave him the ok. See, I remember not being allowed to wear pants to school--no girls were allowed to wear them when I was in high school because it was considered sloppy and inappropriate. My friends and I rebelled and eventually, the rules were relaxed. Older adults thought it was the beginning of the end of civilization (though they seemed ok with skirts so short you couldn't pick up your own pencil if you dropped it without a lot of weird maneuvering).

My point is that times change. I'll bet that if you look back in your own past, you'll see areas in which you chose differently from the way your parents' and grand-parents' generations would have done. It may not feel comfortable to accept a look that goes against your own personal coda, but I think we have to recognize that each generation is going to put its own stamp on what constitutes appropriate and acceptable. We have to judge people by their actions and how they treat others, and realize that changing the status quo is kind of a rite of passage and part of growing up. While you have the right not to like it, you really don't have the right to judge it as bad.

It's funny. I don't know if "Old Lady" really is old, but I can guarantee you I am (73). And I must say, I didn't even notice how the CMs looked on our recent visit (a couple of weeks ago). I did notice how they treated us - very well, by the way - and I was so thankful they were there - between people choosing not to work and others being required to stay home when they are sick I am just thankful there are enough CMs to have the parks open. One of my little 8-year-old students just freshly dyed half her hair purple (before her trip to DL) and it seems like just about everyone has tattoos these days. I just don't even notice things like that. When I was first employed, the women in my company could not wear pants and had to wear nylons - ugh! Thank goodness for change!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter