Background Check Process-Help!

FutureImagineer11

Earning My Ears
Hello All,

New to the community so I'm not sure how everything works, but I have a burning question. I just received an offer for my first disney professional internship in creative entertainment and I accepted! I was so excited, until I got to the background check question. I usually never have to address this in normal applications but This question is more specific than any question I've ever had to deal with. Back in 2009 (over seven years ago!) I got into some trouble that ended with me receiving a misdemeanor that has my name sealed from the public record. I DID check yes on the first question of the background check questionnaire asking If I've ever been convicted. I want to be totally honest! I've completely changed my life around since that moment (which was completely out of character in the first place). I've never even had a speeding ticket and never broken the law otherwise. It's so hard for me to talk about because I'm such a different person sense that incident. I wrote my recruiter about it and she said that the background check office will contact me if they have questions. I guess I'm worried that I won't be able to explain my situation. At the time of the crime, I was facing some very serious challenges and I just want the chance to explain what happened.

So my questions are:
-Is it possible that my offer will be revoked?
-During the background check process, will I have the chance to explain myself?

I'm so worried because this opportunity is everything to me, I've wanted to be an imagineer for as long as I can remember. I'm 30 now and I've worked so hard to never be in the situation I was in ever again. I've been back to school and I'm about to get my master's in design. I'm responsible and have good work history and a absolutely perfect record before and after the incident. My interview went so well. I just want a chance and don't want to keep paying for the mistake I made so long ago and tried so hard to correct. Has anyone been through this before? I could really use some advice.

As long as you are honest you will be okay. They only thing Disney is a stickler on is underage drinking and such. However, if you are honest about it from day 1 you are usually okay. Like you said you wrote yes on the first questionnaire and were offered a position. At this point they are looking for honesty. You say it was a misdemeanor so it shouldn't cost you a position. When I did the DCP and others did PIs they wre specifically told if you are honest you should be okay but if you lie then you will get sent home. If they have questions about the misdemeanor they will discuss it at casting.

Its better to be honest because chances are they would have found out. So that was a good decision on your part. In my opinion it really depends on what the incident was and how the conversation they have with you goes. Do your best to explain it if they call you to talk about it. cant fret over it now because there is nothing you can do. I wouldn't reach out to too many people about it because you don't want to draw attention to it. Just address it if they ask. Best of luck! PIs are very exciting.

I feel like I'm beating myself up right now because I can't remember if she asked about criminal history during my offer phone call. Does anyone know if they ask during that phone call? I usually just answer no to these questions. I feel like I would have remembered if she had asked me the full length of the question with the clause about reporting it even if you've had it expunged or sealed.

Its been a long time since I interviewed for a PI but typically its not a great idea to just go through the motions of saying no when you're in an interview

Trying to break down your question:

I DID check yes on the first question of the background check questionnaire asking If I've ever been convicted. I want to be totally honest!

You did what you were supposed to do here - you were honest, and that's the first step.

I wrote my recruiter about it and she said that the background check office will contact me if they have questions.

Trust your recruiter. This is their job. If they say you will be contacted about questions, then trust that you will be contacted.

-Is it possible that my offer will be revoked?
-During the background check process, will I have the chance to explain myself?

-Is it possible? Yes. Anything is possible. But if you have done what you are supposed to do, then trust in the process.
-According to your recruiter, yes. You aren't the first person with a record, sealed or not, and you won't be the last.

I feel like I'm beating myself up right now because I can't remember if she asked about criminal history during my offer phone call

Whether or not she asked during the offer call, you have now disclosed it with her, which is what needs to be done.

I know it's tough, but the best advice I can give is to relax. Stressing yourself out about this is only going to hurt you.

When I submitted my most recent background check, I had a response within a day asking for verification for my education (my school wouldn't release records unless I signed a waiver). This was for a regular position rather than my PI so the timeline may be different, but it was a quick turnaround that I was able to have dealt with in a few hours. If you are contacted by the background check agency, answer their questions honestly, but don't feel like you need to defend yourself - they aren't the ones doing the hiring. Same with casting - be truthful but remember that you are in a professional environment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter