Back to school sales?

My kids don't get new backpacks every year, but this year they are getting them. My DD8 will get a new one for 3rd grade and she'll use her old one for sleep overs at grandma's and on the airplane. My 5th grader is also getting a new one, because she's switching from a messenger style to a backpack. Fifth grade here is a whole new school with lockers and switching three classes, so she wants a new look. They do get a new lunch box every year because they get gross even with washing with daily use.

I can't wait until I get to buy back to school supplies! I'm one who's obsessed with office/school supplies. Once those ads come out next weekend, I'll be there!

I just got back from Target and they are setting up the school supply section now. They have about 2 aisles done.

While we're on the lunchbox subject, does anyone know of any good thermos sales for back to school? I never seem to find them on sale and my DD likes to take a hot lunch. I need drink containers as well.

I always see thermos brand on sale at Target. I got a set for myself of Hello Kitty ones (I'm a child in an adult body) for about 40% off last July. I'd say keep checking their sale ads. Also K-Mart sometimes puts them on sale for back to school.

I was at my Ross shopping & I bought DS 9 his back pack. It was a Jansport & I paid $21.99. They had a whole bunch of different types, name brands etc. Pretty decent selection & can't beat the price.

I also found his school shoes from famousfootwear.com $21.99. I buy him the Buster Brown slip on school shoe every year & they last & last ! DS is super tough on shoes & these look perfect when he's done. All I need is to find his PE sneaker & then comes the big whammy (school uniform shopping :sick:) I'm trying to stay under $250 this year. His school only allows uniforms from 1 store & the prices are super high. Oh well !

Next week I budgeted for school supplies. I hate going to my local Wal Mart so I'm hoping Staples has some decent deals.

While we're on the lunchbox subject, does anyone know of any good thermos sales for back to school? I never seem to find them on sale and my DD likes to take a hot lunch. I need drink containers as well.

I always see thermos brand on sale at Target. I got a set for myself of Hello Kitty ones (I'm a child in an adult body) for about 40% off last July. I'd say keep checking their sale ads. Also K-Mart sometimes puts them on sale for back to school.

TRU has their BOGO (1/2 off) going on Thermos products right now. They are roughly $12.99 each, so 2 would be roughly $21. Best deal seems to be at Target after they start clearancing their Back to School stuff (I think), if you're good with waiting that long.

Also wanted to note that Shoe Carnival has their BOGO (again, 1/2 off second pair) going right now. That's usually where I get DDs shoes, but her Sketchers that she got last year surely didn't seem to last very long. Sketchers never seem to for her.

I knew it wouldn't last long.

Oh well, back to parents complaining because I ask for crayola products. Yes, I know rose art is cheaper but it's crap.

Yes,I know the dollar tree composition books are a bargin. They use a cheap newsprint type of paper. When little Tommy erases, the paper will rip.

As a parent, I much prefer to buy what is going to last for my child and the teacher. I won't buy rose art crayons even for home as they stink. I also stock up on extras (actually have enough this year left to fill the supply lists) so when teachers ask for extra in the middle of the year I can send them in without having to pay full price.

My kids have been out of school since May 16th and they go back August 8th. I really like this schedule and this school year's end date is scheduled for May 21st barring snow/weather days. It is nice to have the fall break and the early release so we can do vacations without a lot of other schools being out.

Another thing that I like is when a teacher sends home a classroom wish list for the year. My kids have been blessed with great teachers and I love having a list of things that their teachers want and need so that we can buy useful things for them throughout the year.

I also like the wish list. I try to help out with whatever I can as I know teachers don't make a lot and end up spending a lot.

Do you all buy new backpacks for your kids every year? I got my two LL Bean backpacks for $11 a few years ago. They are only in 1st and 2nd grade and the backpacks are still in good condition, so no new ones here unless I find another great deal and will save them for later.

I'm going to buy some extra supplies for the teaches like someone up thread said, since I can get a lot at these sales. That's a very nice idea. :thumbsup2

My youngest won't be getting a new one and my middle one will probably take over my LL Bean back pack I bought for college several years ago.

The LL Bean ones are really holding up so no need to waste money. I even offered to let the little one (4th grade this year) decorate the LL Bean backpack and she doesn't want to. Said she likes her lime green back pack. I have watched her friends go through many backpacks and sometimes they go through more than 1 in a school year.

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and they were all ready putting everything out. Of course school starts here on August 1st so it makes sense I guess.

The Target here was put everything out yesterday as well. We start on the 8th of August.

I haven't seen anything at our Meijer today being put out, but their office and school supply aisles were revamped. I'm not going to make it to the stores until after the 10th when we get back from our trip up north. We leave Thursday! :banana: It's not Disney, but it's relaxing. :love:

I just bought my DD10 a backpack from Pottery Barn (black and white zebra print). Expensive, but it's the one she really wanted. She wanted the matching pencil case that goes with it and I told her I wasn't spending $9.50 on a pencil case unless it has at least $8.50 inside of it. :rotfl2:

My youngest wants the Jansport doodle backpack. I'm not surprised at all. That girls loves to draw and color things. I'll have to get some fabric markers for her to color with.

goofyredraider said:
Oh man, that stinks about the way they are doing the teacher purchases. Those items go directly to students who can't afford them in my classroom. :(

The same goes for me. I was happy to give supplies to kids who needed them when parents weren't able to or chose not to buy them, but no way am I paying regular price and getting money back to buy over-priced toilet paper and paper towels. Staples would not even accept $38 in rewards I had because the certificate had expired. They never used to do that before. Wish I had known. Sigh...

PS This upcoming school year will be the 5th year in a row without a raise.

I sent an email to Staples expressing my displeasure with their change in policy and expressing how it is directly affecting disadvantaged students. I got a canned reply in response. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter