Back to School during the pandemic ...a discussion thread

My fun story . Grade 3 online teacher must be hearing complaints about not learning enough, yesterday she announced an independent study package and “ don’t print it all it’s 150 pages just do what you can “
I start skimming through it and yep it’s not Canadian curriculum it’s all US history , geography, currency etc . Literally took me two mins to scan through it , can’t believe she would be so lazy .. sigh
I politely sent an email saying thai is American curriculum and haven’t heard a word except it’s still up .. sigh

Attachments

• DDE8ECC0-F548-4196-86A5-EBB03B8D4AA9.png
    DDE8ECC0-F548-4196-86A5-EBB03B8D4AA9.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 43553A01-52F1-474B-A0BE-283C214E5DB2.png
    43553A01-52F1-474B-A0BE-283C214E5DB2.png
    150.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 17BDA703-B809-48EB-98E9-862D2840072A.png
    17BDA703-B809-48EB-98E9-862D2840072A.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 14
My fun story . Grade 3 online teacher must be hearing complaints about not learning enough, yesterday she announced an independent study package and “ don’t print it all it’s 150 pages just do what you can “
I start skimming through it and yep it’s not Canadian curriculum it’s all US history , geography, currency etc . Literally took me two mins to scan through it , can’t believe she would be so lazy .. sigh
I politely sent an email saying thai is American curriculum and haven’t heard a word except it’s still up .. sigh
That's ridiculous. It took me less than 15 seconds google "Gr. 3 Ontario Social Studies on Teachers Pay Teachers" and discovered 5 pages of Ontario curriculum for Social Studies-written by Ontario teachers for Ontario teachers.

That's frustrating/disappointing! I've heard a lot of positive reports about the online learning from different people -- actually more positives than I would have expected.

Just to give the Ottawa people some perspective, the unfilled jobs on the OCSB dashboard when I looked at 7:30 this morning numbered 159! (I’m normally an ECE, but based on my education and experience got added to both the EA and Emergency Unqualified Teacher list this week so now I can see all positions.)

My daughter said they had the principal for French today because they couldn't get a supply. "We didn't learn any French at all, Mom!"

My Grade 7 son has been doing online learning, in the OCSB virtual academy, and it’s been excellent. He was one of the lucky ones who had teachers and was online from day 1, and they have already done three small projects with oral presentations and they jumped right into new material in math.

My son is doing hybrid English - grade 11 - will be done at the end of Oct and only half time in class. They are reading Catcher in the Rye and it doesn't sound like there will be any Shakespeare at all. I guess they are picking their battles, but I wonder how much of the curriculum is getting cut because there isn't enough time to do a unit justice.

Remember, these grade 11s are scheduled to write the OSSLT (Ontario Literacy test) this April, along with the grade 10s, since they missed out on writing it last spring. I hope this isn't setting them up for failure.

That's frustrating/disappointing! I've heard a lot of positive reports about the online learning from different people -- actually more positives than I would have expected.

My daughter said they had the principal for French today because they couldn't get a supply. "We didn't learn any French at all, Mom!"

My fav was the class can’t be left unattended and they were having technical difficulties so the boards tech guy “ babysat “ and told them knock knock jokes for 20 mins

That’s ridiculous.

Last year when we went virtual in March, my oldest teacher (then in grade 5) send a ton of material (include answers) for both French and maths. So if someone is interested in grade 5 material in French from QC (not France), let me know and I can send you a dropbox link.

I honestly don't see the problem. When I went to school, we had to learn both US history and geography. I see no problem with it at all, in fact I think an understanding of the US is extremely important since our two countries, indeed even our histories, are so inter-dependent. And it's certainly an appropriate time to dive into the US with the upcoming election. If nothing else, look how ignorant most Americans are about Canada (or any country besides their own) - your child will have a better global awareness than them.

So I got a response from the teacher and have gone to the board . If a real time teacher sent home sheets on USA presidents and state geography parents would go nuts . Practice or no practice

That really is lazy. What is it they are supposed to be practicing? If it's just reading/comprehension or writing, I think something more appropriate shouldn't be that hard to find! I'd be pretty upset too. Sure., learning about the US is nice, eventually, but for grade 3 I don't think it should be a focus, better to have an understanding of our own country and it's history and origins. There is enough going on in our own political landscape that could be covered, impacts of a minority government and such.

I found a really neat monthly subscription that covers Canadian history and geography by province, I am hoping to get it for my son shortly, you can do month to month or get everything at once. I love that it is Canadian and includes some indigenous content as well. I also found some other free Canadian content.

Remember, these grade 11s are scheduled to write the OSSLT (Ontario Literacy test) this April, along with the grade 10s, since they missed out on writing it last spring. I hope this isn't setting them up for failure.

My son is in Gr 12...and this is my biggest fear for him. He already didn't get the grades he would have for Gr 11 if they would have had the full term. Now with Gr 12 and wanting to go onto some schooling past this, he is NOT going to get the learning that he needs. I have been saying this since March. All highschool students are being short changed with their education and being able to advance onto university or college courses if they wish to do that.

My son does not learn well with online. If our school here ( northern Alberta ) shuts down again, I sure hope that they are able to switch and not have it be the s#$% show it was earlier. Right now, with him being in school, being with his peers, learning from the teacher, and able to ask for help when he really needs it is the right way for him. His marks so far are fantastic. He has worked sooo hard over the years to over come severe reading comprehension and his ability to focus to have the school system fail him now. He has been on the honor roll since Gr 8...and I soooooooooooooooooo want to see him have another amazing year!!!!!!

I just pray that the school boards/teachers have their ducks in a row for if/when the schools are closed and we go virtual again, and ARE PREPARED!!!!! We have all had to change and adapt at how we do our jobs, to make it safer for everyone around us....I expect nothing less from them as well.

My son is in Gr 12...and this is my biggest fear for him. He already didn't get the grades he would have for Gr 11 if they would have had the full term. Now with Gr 12 and wanting to go onto some schooling past this, he is NOT going to get the learning that he needs. I have been saying this since March. All highschool students are being short changed with their education and being able to advance onto university or college courses if they wish to do that.

My son does not learn well with online. If our school here ( northern Alberta ) shuts down again, I sure hope that they are able to switch and not have it be the s#$% show it was earlier. Right now, with him being in school, being with his peers, learning from the teacher, and able to ask for help when he really needs it is the right way for him. His marks so far are fantastic. He has worked sooo hard over the years to over come severe reading comprehension and his ability to focus to have the school system fail him now. He has been on the honor roll since Gr 8...and I soooooooooooooooooo want to see him have another amazing year!!!!!!

I just pray that the school boards/teachers have their ducks in a row for if/when the schools are closed and we go virtual again, and ARE PREPARED!!!!! We have all had to change and adapt at how we do our jobs, to make it safer for everyone around us....I expect nothing less from them as well.
High schools should have gone all virtual using the existing online platforms of the ILC and Prism online consortium. This would have secured a stable education for all high school students, but especially the grade 11 and 12. A major fail by every Ontario school board.

My daughter’s friend has covered just one unit in grade 11 English thus far. The course ends early Nov!

Last edited:
I honestly don't see the problem. When I went to school, we had to learn both US history and geography. I see no problem with it at all, in fact I think an understanding of the US is extremely important since our two countries, indeed even our histories, are so inter-dependent. And it's certainly an appropriate time to dive into the US with the upcoming election. If nothing else, look how ignorant most Americans are about Canada (or any country besides their own) - your child will have a better global awareness than them.

The problem is it’s lazy and it’s not part of the curriculum. This was not done to expose the kids to things in other countries.

So I got a response from the teacher and have gone to the board . If a real time teacher sent home sheets on USA presidents and state geography parents would go nuts . Practice or no practice

I actually agree with this. It should not be hard to find things for them to do that relate to their curriculum. This is just lazy.

My son only went back because he was so afraid that the fall online learning would go like it did in the spring. He’s in Grade 11 but already very concerned about being ready to apply for the post secondary programs he wants. His top choice had an entrance average of 93% last year. He is capable and he works hard but I don‘t think he‘s getting the instruction he needs. He couldn’t even get answers to emails in the spring . It’s definitely better now, but it’s still not an ideal delivery method. My husband spent the entire evening working out physics with him last night , after he worked on it all afternoon . The teacher will answer emails on weekdays between 9:10 and 9:40 am . That means the questions he had would have been answered while he was doing the test he was studying for .

It’s just such a jumbled mess for everyone. I support our educators and I do believe the vast majority are doing their best with a really difficult situation. This whole situation is frustration after frustration for the students too.

I keep thinking that he’s going to have to take a 12b year. He could boost any grades that needed it , and work to earn more money for school . He hasn’t been able to work this year so that would help.

Last edited:
An update for anyone who might be wondering. I called our Covid assessment line yesterday around noon and had to leave a message. The message said if they didn’t get back to me within 48 hours then we were to call back and leave a second message , and say that we hadn’t been contacted in the 48 hours. I still haven’t heard but it’s only been about 30. The mom of the little boy I watch will call and leave the second message in about an hour as their 48 hours is almost up.
So we can’t even get the assessment to determine if we need a test in 48 hours. Then we need to get to the actual appointment which will be a few days out. Then we need to wait several days for the lab results, isolating the whole time. This is lost wages for me, and lost wages and scrambling for back up for the families I work with.

I do daycare for essential workers. This is problematic.
I‘ve said it once and I will say it again , the back to school / work plan needed to include adequate testing capabilities. This is not sustainable.

High schools should have gone all virtual using the existing online platforms of the ILC and Prism online consortium. This would have secured a stable education for all high school students, but especially the grade 11 and 12. A major fail by every Ontario school board.

Yes, this! I do not understand why the schools/Ministry of Education set up a completely different online platform when there were already two existing platforms.

I keep thinking that he’s going to have to take a 12b year. He could boost any grades that needed it , and work to earn more money for school . He hasn’t been able to work this year so that would help.

My son started Grade 11 this year and went back to school. In order to keep his Electrical & Hand Tools course (quad 2), he had to go back. He's only taking 1 course this Quad. He lost out on his university computer science course. He may still lose the Electrical & Hand Tools course, depending on COVID-19. He may also lose his entire 2nd Semester of Co-op at a construction site. He needs those to help get him into the Gold Collar program in Grade 12. He already has the mind set that he may re-shuffle his courses and take a victory lap.

An update for anyone who might be wondering. I called our Covid assessment line yesterday around noon and had to leave a message. The message said if they didn’t get back to me within 48 hours then we were to call back and leave a second message , and say that we hadn’t been contacted in the 48 hours. I still haven’t heard but it’s only been about 30. The mom of the little boy I watch will call and leave the second message in about an hour as their 48 hours is almost up.
So we can’t even get the assessment to determine if we need a test in 48 hours. Then we need to get to the actual appointment which will be a few days out. Then we need to wait several days for the lab results, isolating the whole time. This is lost wages for me, and lost wages and scrambling for back up for the families I work with.

I‘ve said it once and I will say it again , the back to school / work plan needed to include adequate testing capabilities. This is not sustainable.

Ugh. I'm not surprised. I read today there is a back-log of 94,000+ tests in Ontario.

I think things are becoming increasingly out of control for the province. The 90 000+ backlog for testing is very concerning. We aren’t going to be able to track our case numbers if people can’t get tested. You can’t fight an enemy you cannot see.

Yes, this! I do not understand why the schools/Ministry of Education set up a completely different online platform when there were already two existing platforms.
The government latched on to the synchronous learning nonsense, rendering the ILC and online consortium incompatible with their plan. So ridiculous to reinvent the wheel. We dropped out of the school system and dd is chugging along with the ILC. I get so upset hearing about kids who will need a fifth year because of this. It’s not right their goals are being put on hold because of government and school board ineptness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter