• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back to School during the pandemic ...a discussion thread

So ds says his first day of school went ok. Wearing the masks wasn’t a big deal and some of his friends are in his class. He said it was especially good cause they didn’t do any real work yesterday lol. So the fact that his biggest complaint has to do with “boring schoolwork” as he puts it. I think that’s a good sign.

My DS has high school with morning in class for the first time. He got unlucky and has a portable and said it was pretty hot. His other complaint is they didn't get a break, even to stretch their legs in the 2.5 hrs. And with covid, he didn't want to stand up to use the bathroom. It'll cool off here soon so the temp shouldn't be an issue for a bit, but don't know why they don't give them a break. Even at work, they would let us break during that time if a meeting went that long.

My 2 teens are on their 4th day of school. They go mornings one day and afternoons the next. Seems to be a good system. I have a station by our front door for clean and used masks. School provides masks if anyone forgets. The school isn't sure what the plan for band is yet. Might switch all students away from wind instruments to stringed instruments. Some schools are having band outside. Our school has gym outside, except for the days that it's colder than -27... with or without the windchill.

This was supposed to be the first time in 7 years that my 2 would be in the same school again. They are but the school is basically divided into 4 sections now to keep the grades completely apart. Separate outside doors, washrooms, hallways, etc. I'm just happy that they are going the same mornings and afternoons as each other! Makes drop offs and pick ups easier. Feeling grateful that my husband and I are both working from home and can drive them.

My DS has high school with morning in class for the first time. He got unlucky and has a portable and said it was pretty hot. His other complaint is they didn't get a break, even to stretch their legs in the 2.5 hrs. And with covid, he didn't want to stand up to use the bathroom. It'll cool off here soon so the temp shouldn't be an issue for a bit, but don't know why they don't give them a break. Even at work, they would let us break during that time if a meeting went that long.
There is a break built into my DS16 school day but it’s weird. They are in one room from 10am to 2pm and break is at 1:10 . I guess that’s just the way it shook out with scheduling but it’s not ideal.

Last edited:

I know in Alberta they have tried to make it as " normal " and back to business as usual as they could. What the government and our chief medical officer are saying is " this virus is here, it is not going away, we have to learn to live with it " and manage where we can. I don't think there is any right or wrong way to do it. If there is more than " 2 cases " in any school, hospital or LTC facility, it is handled as an outbreak. Then more guidelines are put into place over and above what guidelines are in place now.

We have been EXTREMELY lucky in our community. We are at 12 active cases in our city and another 6 in the county. Considering how transient our area is, our cases have remained fairly low.

We have our son in the separate school system and our niece is in the public school system. It seems like both seem to have the same guidelines in place. They are doing what they can to social distance the kids as best as they can. It is NO different than people crowding into stores, I see people meeting up, hugging, close chatting in stores ( taking up isles that I want to walk through ) Kids are NOT going to social distance when they are outside - especially when I see adults can not even do it in stores or when our in public.

I want to know when this whole thing became about NEVER getting the virus? It was about flattening the curve and limiting spread. All the precautions that are in place are to limit the spread. There needs to be some going forward. People need to get back to work, kids back to school...doing our daily lives again...as safe as we can. We need new routines with our precautions that we need to do to limit the spread. If we do not get the economy going again...our country will be in very big trouble...and not just because of a virus. The government will need to stop printing money at some point, people will not be able to find work, and families will be literally starving to death. We do NOT want another depression on the 30's. If we don't get back to work, the depression will be worse than the 1930's. We need to find ways to move forward, changing and adapting as they find new information about the virus.

I know as a family, we are keeping our social circle very small. Doing what we can to keep our family, co-workers and neighbors safe. Like many on these boards, we are anxiously waiting to be able to travel again and will booking trips as soon as they make any annoucements, and we feel that it is safe for us to go.

There is a beak built into my DS16 school day but it’s weird. They are in one room from 10am to 2pm and break is at 1:10 . I guess that’s just the way it shook out with scheduling but it’s not ideal.
Interesting. Our whole system is organized such that kids aren't there over lunch time. I guess they don't want lingering, masks taken off, etc. We don't even have an afternoon session. Mornings only (but 2.5 hrs as opposed to 4hrs that you mention).

Interesting. Our whole system is organized such that kids aren't there over lunch time. I guess they don't want lingering, masks taken off, etc. We don't even have an afternoon session. Mornings only (but 2.5 hrs as opposed to 4hrs that you mention).
They are only there for the four hour block , but they are allowed to eat snack during the 20 minute break. Right now it’s outside only.

My kids got through 4 days and 3 days of school each. DS woke up with cough and congestion yesterday morning, so both kids kept home. Went to two testing centres yesterday, both full. Got up early this morning, got a centre 1 hour before open. 4 hours later walked out with the test done. Both kids are still home until a negative test result, DS home until no symptoms for 24 hours. Of course, if it is positive it's a whole other thing.

The lines at the centres were at least 75% school age kids. Craziness.

My kids got through 4 days and 3 days of school each. DS woke up with cough and congestion yesterday morning, so both kids kept home. Went to two testing centres yesterday, both full. Got up early this morning, got a centre 1 hour before open. 4 hours later walked out with the test done. Both kids are still home until a negative test result, DS home until no symptoms for 24 hours. Of course, if it is positive it's a whole other thing.

Too bad you can't book appointments online. My friend (ON) did the online assessment last Wed evening and had enough symptoms to require a test. Booked it for 1:55pm the following day and was home by 2:30. Test results came in today. Negative thankfully although I was surprised it took 5 days as the same centre was turning results around in 24 hours 2 weeks ago.

I understand testing here is full of kids as well. Of course anyone with a cough/cold needs a negative test to get back to school. I believe only one site here has appointments available.

I think we need a better system for this, a friend (tested negative) had to wait with her son outside to get tested. I am surprised they didn't come up with a better plan for back to school, surely they knew they'd have more people to test! I mean we all guessed it...

I hope you get negative test results.

I'm in Ottawa, the only appointments that can be booked are the the drive through clinic, and they won't test anyone under 14. The 4 hours we were there, 3 were standing outside. It's just getting colder and colder. We need a better solution. There should have been way more testing centres opened before school went back.

I'm in Ottawa, the only appointments that can be booked are the the drive through clinic, and they won't test anyone under 14. The 4 hours we were there, 3 were standing outside. It's just getting colder and colder. We need a better solution. There should have been way more testing centres opened before school went back.
Totally agree. What the heck are these places going to look like when actual respiratory illness season starts ?

When my son was in elementary school ( long before Covid ), on any given day in December or January a third of the kids in his class would be coughing or have a runny nose . I do daycare ... there are so many viruses that cause cough or runny noses. There will always be something floating around, especially in the younger kids with less mature immune systems.

These testing centres will be completely overwhelmed when the season starts. My brother took his kids for testing in late summer because his son woke with a fever and headache. It took five days for the results. This is when things were quiet. I can’t even imagine what a gong show it will be when it’s busy. And this is time parents will have to take off to keep the kids home. We are in for a rough winter.

Totally agree. What the heck are these places going to look like when actual respiratory illness season starts ?

When my son was in elementary school ( long before Covid ), on any given day in December or January a third of the kids in his class would be coughing or have a runny nose . I do daycare ... there are so many viruses that cause cough or runny noses. There will always be something floating around, especially in the younger kids with less mature immune systems.

These testing centres will be completely overwhelmed when the season starts. My brother took his kids for testing in late summer because his son woke with a fever and headache. It took five days for the results. This is when things were quiet. I can’t even imagine what a gong show it will be when it’s busy. And this is time parents will have to take off to keep the kids home. We are in for a rough winter.

My son had a covid test last week at Credit Valley Hospital testing centre in Mississauga. He was told he would know his results by the end of the next day and he did.

My mother in law (a nurse at one of the local hospitals) was actually saying she wonders if we will actually see a reduction in the normal seasonal illnesses this winter, if people continue to wear masks in public. it would be really interesting if that ended up being the case.

I wonder if they increase testing in the areas that are experiencing an uptick in cases as Peel region is one of the worst right now. It would make sense that they decrease testing resources while numbers are low in a community. My brother had his kids tested at the hospital he practices at. I will ask him if they have a plan to increase testing and turn around time as cases rise.

My son had a covid test last week at Credit Valley Hospital testing centre in Mississauga. He was told he would know his results by the end of the next day and he did.

My youngest son was also tested at Credit Valley last month and got the results the next day too.
His description of the test was priceless. Lol
Test=negative.
Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
I wonder if Public Health Canada will approve some rapid tests soon. I think I read something on CBC.ca with Dr. Tam discussing this issue. Pharmacies would be able to do the tests. Not sure if that is a good idea because then when I go out for my PC optimum points there could be exposure to the virus there.

Anyone else think this is far more stressful for us as parents than for our kids? DD12 started Gr 7 today, excited to see her friends and for get back to learning. Walked her to school this morning (first day in middle school here in T.O. for her so brand new school experience for her). DD16 starts Gr 11 tomorrow with the strange schedule TDSB is using. In her case it is a 45 min commute via TTC for 1 class, in tomorrow's case Gr 11 Sculpture which you can't really do virtually. Spent the evening with her in our basement setting up a studio/office since slightly more than half her time will be down there and the home office is mine since I won't be returning to the office until public health restrictions are lifted.

Saw this today on CP24 about a long wait at Credit Valley to get a test ... https://www.cp24.com/news/this-is-t...hours-for-covid-test-in-mississauga-1.5109019

Just wanted to let people know that if they are going for a test to make an appointment first. It will save you hours and hours in line. My son had a covid test last week at Credit Valley. He called in the morning and was given an appointment for 10:30. He was home before 11.

Saw this today on CP24 about a long wait at Credit Valley to get a test ... https://www.cp24.com/news/this-is-t...hours-for-covid-test-in-mississauga-1.5109019

Just wanted to let people know that if they are going for a test to make an appointment first. It will save you hours and hours in line. My son had a covid test last week at Credit Valley. He called in the morning and was given an appointment for 10:30. He was home before 11.
That works in certain jurisdictions. Where I live, my PHU is book an appointment. Walk to the edge of town and it is London and there it is line up (earlier and earlier each day). I have a friend who said her child (grade 1) has been in school 1 day. Cold symptoms and can't return until a negative COVID test or until a 14 day quarantine (of child and 2 siblings) has been completed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter