Back to our Happy Place! A Trip Report (August 14-19, 2022)

Deb1993

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone!! My family went back to our happy place for some sun and fun - and we had both!! Our group is me55, DH56, DD19, DS16, DS15. We were so excited to return to PBH, the parks, the rides, the food - and will The Mummy be open? It was a question we asked every day - would we get to ride?

We left out of Islip, Long Island on Sunday, August 14th. We left our beloved cat, Luna Lovegood, with my sister and her husband on Saturday evening and had pizza with them wile Luna got acclimated to her new place. She immediately made herself comfortable and had herself a little vacation while we were on our vacation - my sister sent me lots of photos of all the fun she was having.

Our flight on Sunday was a SW non-stop. If you've read any of my other reports you know that since 2000 I have a terrible fear of flying. About a month before the trip I decided to go to the doc and got a Xanax prescription for 5 pills to help with the flights. I had also taken the advice of some kind folks on these boards and did some reading - I know my fear is irrational - but I can't help it! I took two of the pills and had a drink (or two) and was still very jumpy but the ride was calm and I was thrilled once we touched the ground. I had given the FAs some candy as we had boarded, which they were very happy with - I guess just in case I made a scene of some sort. My friend joked, sure, a kit kat will make up for you running up and down the aisles. Thankfully that didn't happen.

We were picked up on time by one of Tony Hinds' drivers for our ride to PBH. We made a quick stop at the Publix at Lake Cay Commons for some water and creamer for coffee. The hotel was really busy when we got there -- it was around 345pm. We waited on the check in line for just a few minutes and were given the keys to our Portofino King Parlor Suite with attached 2 Queen room. We were in 3359, 3361, 3363 in West. I took a few minutes to wipe everything down and we unpacked our things and made up the bed in the Parlor Room for DD. This room configuration really suits us as we have 3 full bathrooms and everyone has their own space. I had renewed my premier annual pass and we spent a few minutes getting everyone's tickets situated. Once that was done we went to the gift shop at PBH to buy gift cards for us and for the kids since we anticipated separating at times and wanted them to have money. Even though DD is always resisting and wants to pay for things on her own.

We took a walk over to City Walk to look in some of the stores before our dinner at Antojitos - I did make reservations for us - we saw some folks turned away, and did notice during the week that the parks and City Walk were incredibly busy. We had the tableside guac, a few drinks and everyone enjoyed their meals. I don't remember what everyone had, but I ordered the taco salad, which was pleasant enough. This was our first of a few meals where the host/hostess was going to seat us at a table for 4 with just an extra chair at the end. Each time that happened we asked for a different table and were much more comfortable. My DS16 is 6'5" and DS15 is 6'3" - we just don't fit at that kind of table, or in those small booths - nowhere for the legs. LOL

I have to say that every meal with the fam was so much fun. Just so nice to be with them and laugh and talk - my DH and I were/are so thankful and appreciative of all we have.

After dinner we took a walk over to Toothsome to get some candy, those chocolate covered swedish fish are my jam!! The parks closed at 9pm all week so we strolled back to PBH to get some rest. Our plan for tomorrow was to do early entry and head over to Hagrid's.

Would we make it?

Airport 1.jpgAirport 2.jpgAirport 3.jpgAirport 4.jpg

Nice start Deb.......

Most fears are completely irrational, but doesn`t stop them being real all the same, I`m glad you can still manage to fly through it all. Whatever it takes.

Love the sound of your trip and look forward to reading along with you......your kids look so lovely too!!

I do love having three bathrooms too!!! That works.......:)

Nice start Deb.......

Most fears are completely irrational, but doesn`t stop them being real all the same, I`m glad you can still manage to fly through it all. Whatever it takes.

Love the sound of your trip and look forward to reading along with you......your kids look so lovely too!!

I do love having three bathrooms too!!! That works.......:)
Thanks Carole! I agree - whatever it takes. If I stop flying I'll never get on a plane again - got to keep doing it no matter what.

Monday, August 15th

We were up at 615am and ready to be on the first boat to IOA. Once at IOA, we waited a bit, probably were about 6 people back from the gate. We walked swiftly to Hagrid's and once on the line it was a total of 7 minutes and we were on the ride. DS16 and I were in the first row - I gave him the motorbike - I'm nice like that :). Great ride - so much fun. When we got off the ride it was up to a 140 minute wait. Crazy! We hoofed it over to Velocicoaster and it was showing a 45 minute wait, but it was more like 35 minutes. Fun ride, but I just can't put all my faith in that little lapbar so I hold on for dear life :worship:. The kids however are hands up whole time - I just don't understand how!!! We were off both rides and back in the front of the park by Starbucks by 908am. Since we hadn't eaten we got some drinks at Starbucks and then went to the Croissant Moon Bakery for a few sandwiches. Lots of people walking into the park as we sat to eat - strollers and Disney shirts everywhere :P. Full disclosure I only had a cup of ice water - I can't eat eggs without hard bread like toast - I know, weird! 🤷‍♀️ We had lunch plans anyway and I had a corner of DH's croissant which was fine until then.

After breakfast we went on Spiderman, Hulk (also why I didn't eat yet) and walked over to the Hogwarts Express. Another walk on. Once over at Studios we entered Diagon Alley and did Gringotts single rider, which took no time at all as no one was on the single rider line. Fun ride. Wandered around Diagon Alley - hung out in Knockturn Alley, looked in stores to see what we would be buying and decided we would have lunch a little early - I think it was around 1145am.

We made our way to Lombard's Landing. In all of our trips, we've never eaten there. The host/hostess were very nice and we quickly got a table. It was nice and cool inside - we were all overheated. We had shrimp cocktail which was very good, I had the cobb salad, DD had caesar salad with chicken, DH had the fish and chips, DS15 had the miso and DS16 had a burger. The boys had Fanta, DH had a gin drink and DD and I had lots of water. We enjoyed our meals and took our time in the AC.

After lunch we went on MIB - I'm terrible at it - the kids put me on task of spinning the other cart, which I managed to do at least once this trip - all while they chided me that I'm an NPC - if you have teens you know. The kids did Rip Ride Rocket. Me and DH skipped it - way too rough - DH and I wondered when we became all old and creaky :crutches:. We checked out what was going on with the Mummy - NOTHING. :-) Actually there were some team members walking down the ramp and they were talking about how the ride was outstanding - but no word on when it would open - I think they were teasing us. We still had until Friday so we continued to hope!!

We took the boat back to PBH for some afternoon rest and showers. It was 345pm and the real feel I think was 100 and we were wiped out. I checked work emails, and we all showered and got ready for tonight's dinner at Big Fire. In the hall we ran into a housekeeper that we've known for years from our trips to PBH - she was telling us that she was coming to Long Island in early September for her niece's wedding. Nice lady.

At Big Fire I ordered the salmon and I forget which drink, but I didn't love it. We ordered bread for the table. DH had the filet, DD had the burgundy beef, DS15 had chili for an app, chicken breast and a side of mac and cheese with shortribs and DS16 had the chili for an app, filet and the side of mac and cheese with shortribs as well. We had a very relaxing meal - lots of laughs, server was good, no one had an issue with anything they ordered. While we had planned to do the table smores no one had room for dessert just yet.

We decided to head over to Studios and the kids did RRR - how in the world after just eating, but those are the spoils of youth. We did Gringotts again, single rider, went to Florean's for ice cream - Butterbeer soft serve for the win!! We were walking out of the park around 930pm and strolled back to PBH, skipping the boat.

A really great day. Planning to sleep in tomorrow.

IOA Monday 15 1.jpgIOA Monday 15 2.jpgIOA Monday 15 3.jpgIOA Monday 15 4.jpgIOA Monday 15 5.jpgIOA Monday 15 6.jpgIOA Monday 15 7.jpg

Tuesday, August 16th

We slept in a bit and found out the boys had gone to Studios to ride RRR 5 times in a row. We met up with them around 10a or so and went on F&F which was cringe, as always. That whole party bus and family stuff had us laughing :rolleyes2. The rows are pretty tight and DS16 remarked it would probably be his last time riding. Don't blame him!

We again checked on Mummy - nothing doing!! We walked over to Fallon and the AC was a nice respite. We don't love it but don't hate it either, if that makes any sense. We looked in the Christmas Shop and the Film Vault and then headed over to Margaritaville for lunch.

DD and I shared chicken bites and a burger, DH had a turkey club, boys had quesadillas and buttermilk chicken. I stuck with lots of water, DH had a beer. Lunch was good - I wanted to have a drink but remembered that last year I found the margarita very strong and it had my heart racing. Didn't want to feel like that in the middle of the day so just skipped it. We walked into IOA for a ride on VC and I realized that I like sitting on the left side better than the right. DD handled the lockers for us, all we had were lanyards and phone and all except DD put lanyards in the lockers instead of trying to make sure they don't come out on us.

After VC, we went into Hogsmeade to ride Forbidden Journey which we hadn't gone on in a few years due to 3 torn ACLs in the fam and recommendation from surgeon not to go on hanging leg rides for a bit. I do really love FJ. We made our way to Seussland and got some water. We rode Cat in the Hat, always good AC in there. We decided that we would head back to PBH and on the way I started to have a little heat issue with heart racing, feeling like I was going to black out - Rachel tested me with her apple watch. We got into Toothsome and I sat down where you can eat milkshakes - DD got me some water and I started to feel better. After a bit we took a look around Toothsome and I picked up some dark chocolate covered caramels and more chocolate covered swedish fish. We also bought a small bag of turtles and chocolate covered gummy bears, which perked me up. We walked over to the boat and there were medical personnel attending to someone who was having a heat issue while waiting for the boat. DD told me real feel was 102.

Once at the hotel, we decided to cancel NBC Grill and instead have pizza and salad from Sal's. It was nearly 5pm so we all cleaned up and were resting. Once we had pizza - which was delicious - DD, DH and I walked over to IOA around 800pm and DD and I got in line for VC - DH was going to look into the marvel area stores for a phone case he was interested in so we would meet up with him after VC. While in the main first room of the queue DD noticed two drunk men. They were drinking while they were on line, horsing around and being rowdy. We decided to try to stay as far away from them as possible. Once at the lockers one of them still had pockets full of stuff and security told him to find a locker before they could go through the metal detectors. Security was wanding one of them and he was making arms and legs wave like those things outside a car wash. Security knew they were inebriated and remarked to us that once at the top they would be taken off the line. As it turns out after lockers they ended up directly behind us on the stairs. We gave them as much room as we could as they were jumping on each other. At one point at the turn by the large screen, DD (Rachel) said, hey you guys were in front of us on the locker, want to go ahead of us now (in an effort to keep them in front of us rather than behind). They took us up on it - then tried to talk to us - saying how beautiful DD was, etc. We kept a wide berth. We wondered if they would be let on the ride and did not want to be behind them on ride in case they threw up. They continued their nonsense and were not stopped by the team in front and were let on the ride after the line was asked for a party of two - so at least they weren't in our train in front of us - they were in the train before ours. Once we were off the ride they were at the lockers same time as us and one of them purposefully brushed against me as they were leaving. It was not an accident. I didn't see it coming because I was paying attention to DD getting our phones out of the locker. I was just glad to be rid of them. Anyway, this was my second night ride on VC and I love riding it at night. Views are gorgeous and it's scarier.

We were off by 845pm and got over to Hagrid's and were online for about 40-45 minutes. Have to admit that we did check around to make sure our drunk "friends" were nowhere on this line and they weren't. Hagrid's at night was awesome!!! We met up with DH and were back at the hotel around 1030pm.

Another really fun day!!

Tuesday 1.jpgTuesday 2.jpg

Wednesday, August 17th

We had a very nice breakfast at the buffet at Trattoria at PBH. DD and I stopped by the lobby after to drop off some postcards (my mother practically demands we send her some) and to put a few gift cards toward our hotel bill. While I absolutely appreciate birthday gifts I often find actually using visa or vanilla gift cards to be a pain, so it was easier to just put them toward the room bill rather than trying to use them in the parks. Once done, we had planned to go into IOA today to ride the wet rides. We headed to Popeye and got drenched - fun ride and had planned to do Dudley but it was closed so we headed over to the River Adventure.

We took the walk over to Marvel island and sat by Hulk and had some water, watched the ducks and enjoyed the mist. We came back to PBH right before it started to pour. We sat by Sal's trying to decide if we wanted pizza and then the rain kind of stopped so we went to the very serene Villa Pool for some down time. We ordered drinks and snacks and went into the pool. There were quite a few children at the Villa Pool and they were really noisy. Rachel and I couldn't help but laugh hysterically at the amount of noise they were making for literally nothing and another couple had commented to us as they were getting out of the pool how they thought this pool was only for adults. I wasn't positive but I thought that was the case as well - before they came it was pretty silent and DD and DH actually fell asleep. Anyway, I thought they were sort of clueless as to the amount of noise they were making along with the splashing and jumping and yelling. But my kids were little once too so I get it - they were having fun.

We stayed for a few hours anyway and enjoyed it - DH and DD even played bocce. Over the summer DD was a ref for the Town so she was showing DH the ropes.

We had dinner plans tonight at Cowfish. The host tried giving us one of those tables for 4 with an extra chair, which we declined so they found us a different table. Cowfish has one of my favorite on property drinks - the ruby panther. Yum!! I ordered the sesame chicken app for dinner, the kids all had bento boxes with sushi and burgers and DH ordered chicken of some kind. It was all acceptable but we all agreed after that we probably would not return. Just not our fav place. DH and I would probably just sit at the bar at some other trip just for drinks.

After dinner we went into IOA and got in line for VC at around 8pm. The wait was about 40 minutes. Love riding at night!!! We had 6 minutes to get to Hagrid's and we ran but when we got there it was at capacity. Bummer! We instead got some butterbeer and mobile ordered donuts from Voodoo. DH and I walked back to PBH and the kids got the donuts and took the boat. Donuts were heavenly.

Having a great time!!!

Thursday, August 18th

We left our room around 9am and went to Studios, grabbing a croissant at Today Cafe as we hadn't had breakfast yet. I was dying to ride ET (I love that ride) so they obliged their old momma and we went. MIB was next and then Gringotts, single rider.

We decided to train it over to IOA for lunch at Confisco. I don't remember what everyone had, but me and DS16 had the chicken sandwich, and I remember quesadillas and nachos. All fine.

We had tried to go on Hulk after but the line was long, even for Express, so we scrapped it. Instead did Poseidon, which we had never done in all the trips. It was cute. Probably a one and done for us, but the water feature was cool. We rode VC again and I had never noticed it before but I got the row with the black divider - I think it's the odd rows - and I found the ride so rough - it was row 5. My hands were shaking when I got off.

We were planning to take a break and on the way out the boys got the Moose Juice and a Rootbeer Float. It looked like a lot of rain was on the way. DH and the boys left to get to the hotel but DD had seen some dark blue sweatpants she was interested in near Bourne so we wandered into Studios to get them. We went into the AP lounge to get our Mummy magnets and as we were walking out they asked to interview her so she did. It was so cute - they were all yelling questions at her and the host would pick on someone and DD would answer the question. Adorable. Afterward we signed some papers in case they posted it somewhere. There was quite a crowd.

We got the sweatpants and as we walked out the rain came in earnest. We ran over to Bourne and never did make it back to the hotel before dinner. We ended up meeting the boys at Vivo. I had Cupcake Moscato that was really nice. We ordered meatballs and calamari for the table, bolognese, lasagna, eggplant, piccata and penne and meatballs. Everything was very good.

After dinner it was still raining and our favs weren't running so we went back to the hotel to get our keys sorted for the late checkout I secured for tomorrow. DS16 and DS15 stayed on City Walk to get Cold Stone and a few things from Billa Bong.

Once back at the hotel I made sure we were checked in for Friday's flight, worked a little, confirmed Tony Hinds pickup, packed up some things and relaxed. DH and DD went back out - I think to look for snacks.

Confisco 1.jpgCowfish 2.jpgkids walking 1.jpgInterview 1.jpgInterview 2.jpg

Attachments

• Interview 1.jpg
    Interview 1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3

Friday, August 19th

Oh no!! Final Day and NO MUMMY!!!! :headache:

3 of us decided to go to IOA and got there around 9am. We stopped into the Croissant Bakery and then went on Hulk. I love that ride. The soundtrack, the loops, everything. I don't think it is rough although everyone else does. 🤷‍♀️ We went to VC but the wait time was long so we decided to skip it because it was way too hot to do the outside wait portion. We walked into the Discovery Store to quickly cool off and decided to get butterbeer and head to Studios via the train. We rode Gringotts single rider, did MIB and went to Krusty Burger for lunch. Inside we saw Steven! :-) Last year we ran into Steven, a team member at Krusty who had told me and DD that he just lost his beloved pet. Steven told us he now has Roxie!! Good news. Such a sweet guy. Krusty burgers (DH had shrimp) were good - the sauce is very tasty.

After lunch we took a walk to Mummy, just to check, and nothing was going on. Hated that we didn't ride this trip.

It was around 230p so we took the boat back to PBH to get ready to leave by 4pm. We were picked up right on time and found out our flight was delayed. There was severe weather and the airport shut down. We took off ~3 hours later than expected and although the gate agents started to tell folks to go to the bathroom and eat now because the seatbelt signs would not be coming off we had a pretty smooth flight. Of course, that announcement had me even more scared than I already was so I took the xanax and had a drink (or two) and then took a second pill as we were boarding. :( I half-watched Half Blood Prince on the way home and was thrilled once we landed.

I remembered looking at the clock once we got home and it was Saturday, 245am. We slept a few hours and were up early to do some quick laundry as we were driving 6-7 hours to RIT to help DD move in for sophomore year. Her things were basically packed before we left for Florida but it took a little time to pack up the cars and stop off at my sister's house so DD could say goodbye to Luna.

I drove with DD and DH drove our truck. She didn't have too much to take with her. We got there at 845pm Saturday night and moved her in Sunday as classes started Monday. All good.

Some final thoughts:
  • Portofino is as beautiful as always. Our favorite place to be.
  • Villa Pool is a lovely place to relax - as long as kids aren't screaming.
  • Drunk people are allowed to be a nuisance but don't you dare put fire whiskey in your butterbeer.
  • Vivo and Big Fire meals were highlights.
  • Every cast member we ran into was lovely.
  • Captain Rob is the best. Lots of jokes, so personable.
  • The heat was a little much for me this year. Need to remember my cooling towels EVERY DAY.
  • Hagrid at night is worth the hype.
  • We did both the early morning Hagrid / VC and the late night VC / Hagrid. To me, more of a chance in the morning to ride both because we ran into the issue of Hagrid being at capacity at night one of the two times we tried.
  • We all had a wonderful time.
  • There was a Spiderman bag that caught my eye day one and I continued to look at it every day but didn't get it. There were two Hogwarts bags that were nice but there was something about the colors of the Spiderman one that really got me. I ended up not buying it because I'm not a Spiderman fan and I figured I would get a lot of comments and not know what anyone was talking about.
  • Next trip is June 2023 - so far I have a 3-bedroom at Sapphire booked.
  • After that is our 30th wedding anniversary trip - we have a November 2023 reservation at the Portofino booked for that one. Our actual anniversary is 12-12-1993 but figured we would go a bit earlier since we don't want to be away when DD is home for holiday break.
Thank you so much for reading along!!!!

Luna 4.jpgLuna 2.jpgMove in.jpg

Attachments

• Move in.jpg
    Move in.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 3
Hi Deb:
I just had to comment on your "irrational fear of flying". I, too, had an irrational fear of flying. It was so bad that I got physically sick at least 2 weeks before a trip. The day of the flight I took 2 Dramamine and had a bloody Mary on the flight. My husband had to practically carry me off the flights. I usually sat rigid and scared sick for the whole flight. The return flight was the same.

It got to the point that it interfered with our enjoyment of our vacations. It's no fun to be so worried, scared and sick before and after vacation about the flights. Kinda takes the fun our of the trip! I had no reason for this fear, no bad flights of any kind.

I finally went to a certified hypnotist, who is also a friend who I trust completely. After that session, I have never had any fears of flying. I can get on the plane like everyone else and have no fears At. All.! I have been fear- free ever since then.

I don't know if it will work for everyone, but I am so grateful it worked for me. Just a thought that I hope will be helpful for your fear of flying.

Hi Deb:
I just had to comment on your "irrational fear of flying". I, too, had an irrational fear of flying. It was so bad that I got physically sick at least 2 weeks before a trip. The day of the flight I took 2 Dramamine and had a bloody Mary on the flight. My husband had to practically carry me off the flights. I usually sat rigid and scared sick for the whole flight. The return flight was the same.

It got to the point that it interfered with our enjoyment of our vacations. It's no fun to be so worried, scared and sick before and after vacation about the flights. Kinda takes the fun our of the trip! I had no reason for this fear, no bad flights of any kind.

I finally went to a certified hypnotist, who is also a friend who I trust completely. After that session, I have never had any fears of flying. I can get on the plane like everyone else and have no fears At. All.! I have been fear- free ever since then.

I don't know if it will work for everyone, but I am so grateful it worked for me. Just a thought that I hope will be helpful for your fear of flying.
Wow - I have never thought of that. I would love to be like everyone else on the plane. I am going to look into finding someone in my area. Thanks for the idea!!

Wow - I have never thought of that. I would love to be like everyone else on the plane. I am going to look into finding someone in my area. Thanks for the idea!!
I don't know if it works for everyone. I know I was extremely hard to put under. I had never been hypnotized before. But whatever she did completely erased my irrational fear.
I know how you feel and hope you find some help:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter