Back this am from Poly Conc.- 2 Days

Threehearts

DIS Veteran
We are just back from a short weekend in WDW. We stayed at the Poly GV Conc. because that's our usual "haunt" and it was fine. The weather was cool, about 60 and I found the volcano pool too chilly to swim. We did not try the quiet pool and for our 2 days we rarely saw people in either of the pools although our kids went in briefly on Sat. Two things I would do differently- !) I would not go on Marathon weekend again. It was logistically a problem and they cancelled the EE on Sunday am at MK which we were counting on. 2) The weather was just too cool for us to enjoy the watermice, pools etc. which is a big part of our time at WDW. As a note- We have stayed in LV Conc. during our last 4 visits but we were SO happy with our GV I'm not sure I'd spend the money again. We just took the kids out to the beach for the fireworks and they liked it MUCH more than looking out from a third floor balcony. The Conc. was good but housekeeping not great. A bunch of long black hairs stayed in the bathroom and on the toilet for the 2 days and I just didn't feel like doing the cleaning myself. I wasn't there to be the Inspector General so I didn't let a small issue bother me at all. We had a great 2 and half days and Jan. was nice in that you can avoid the extreme heat of the summer and it is less crowded(probably moreso if not Marathon weekend). Congrats to you runners!! Threehearts

Thanks for the report. We may head out for a few days since the airline tickets have dropped in price. I do like it better there when it is hot and you can enjoy all the water recreation.

Aloha

Steve

Hi Threehearts:D I'm glad to hear you got a quick WDW fix. I think it's probably a good thing I don't live on the East Coast. You know we always do GV and we think it's great. Now if we didn't get that great view from the lounge I don't know what we would do. We leave on Saturday and it will be our first trip to WDW where we aren't staying at the Polynesian:( We are going to try the WL. The wintertime is the only time I can see us staying there (it goes with the theme). I can't believe the temperatures. There have been some days lately where it has been warmer in Denver than in Orlando? We lucked out last January it was 85 every day. It will be quite different doing WDW in jeans:) Have you started thinking about your next trip:teeth:

We also enjoy a GV as much (probably more so because it's less expensive) as LV at Polynesian conc. We've done both as well and now that the kids are older, they are in the pool or park at firework time. It's up to my husband and I to fetch the desserts and bring them to the waterlogged children. If they aren't in the pool, they like to sit on the beach as well. To be honest, my husband and I prefer being outdoors as well--unless, of course, the weather is crummy--isn't that what the lounge is for? :D

Can I ask your opinion about which floor to request for a GV Concierge reservation in March? I am NOT a smoker, so I would prefer the 2nd floor, however, the fact that it doesn't have a balcony does not appeal to me. Should I risk it and go for the 3rd floor, or does a balcony really make that much difference in a Garden View room anyhow?

Thanks for your opinions!

Leslie

I know what you mean--that 2nd floor no balcony has never appealed to me either. First floor would probably be most requested since it's nonsmoking. If you ask for smoking you will get a 3rd floor--and my res always says "guaranteed" on it.

You don't have to be a smoker to be on the 3rd floor BUT you must be willing to accept that there will be AND not complain about it! Frankly, I've never had a problem with the 3rd floor--and I wouldn't be bothered by the smoke if there was any. The fact is, our room has always been as fresh smelling as any first floor nonsmoking room. We've never been bothered by smoke in the hall or wafting down the hall.

I guess the choice would be yours to make--if you request a nonsmoking first floor--I'd be sure to list the patio/balcony as a primary request rather than nonsmoking IF the patio/balcony is your priority. OTOH--if you will be gone from your room OR poolside/beachside most often--I don't think the balcony makes a difference--we always used ours in the past for the evening hours when our kids were young and in bed. Now, I use it in the early a.m. when everyone else is snoozing OR in the late evening when they are doing the same! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter