Back problem

bairdbeth

DIS Veteran
Hi! After a year of planning, I just started having back pain with leg numbness and leg pain. My Dr and Chiropractor think I may have herniated or bulged a disk. So far I am okay with walking, but haven't gone long distances. I wondered if it was possible to wait until I got to WDW and tried a day at the parks before calling Walker Mobility if I needed a scooter. I would rent at the park, but we park hop and go back to the resort for breaks. I am afraid there will not be one availible at the 2nd park. Also, if I need a scooter any advice on how to keep track of my DD (8). It is just the 2 of us going. Thanks!:wave:

here are a few thoughts i'd like to share:

you could call walker, randy's, etc. now and ask them how difficult it would be to get an ecv delivered next day for the time of year you're going. their 800 numbers are posted on other threads.

but...

what if your first day w/o an ecv leaves you very sore? you said it was just you and your DD8. can you afford to risk your health? would you be ok for the remaining days?

i went to wdw in january with just my DD7 (almost 8). i was in an ecv and i was very concerned beforehand as you are. before we went i did the following:

1) talked with her about the "hug a tree" philosophy. basically, if we got separated SHE should be the one to stand still and wait for me to find her.

2) talked to her about CM's and what they looked like/wore (badge, uniforms, etc.). told her she should talk to a cm if we got separated (w/o leaving the area she was in--there are tons of cm's everywhere).

3) bought her ($25) a tracfone to put in her fanny pack. this is a cell phone that has no monthly fees. it came for "free" with the $25 purchase of a 60-minutes card. came with 2 months active air time. we never needed to use it, but we both knew that if we got separated for whatever reason, we could talk to each other instantly by phone. (i programmed my cell phone number into hers.) it was well worth the $25 one-time expense. if you're interested in this route, let me know and i'll "refer" your e-mail address to tracfone, so we both will get extra free minutes.

4) we did get separated briefly at the sword in the stone ceremony at MK. she was jockeying for a better viewing position and i couldn't move through a thick crowd as easliy. i had no qualms about yelling her name out loud and we hooked up again in about 60-90 seconds. scarey. i reminded her about not leaving my side and we really didn't have too much trouble after that.

5) i don't know how people feel about this one, because disney is basically a very safe place. I wouldn't want to alarm a kid if they weren't ready to handle this, but i have always discussed with my kids the need never to go anywhere with a stranger. i also tell them that if someone pulls on them they should yell "i don't know you" or "you're not my dad," etc. Let's face it, how many times have we seen screaming kids being pulled out of malls, etc. by their parents. if a stranger took my kid and my kid just screamed, it's not as effective as if she yelled "i don't know you!" i don't think this is really something to worry about, but it came to mind so i thought i'd mention it.

6) just a reminder that it's unsafe to have your DD ride on the ecv with you.

my DD and i had a great time together on our special trip. i know you both will, too. let me know if i can answer any other questions.

dj

p.s. - if she's into princesses, i highly recommend the CRT breakfast. there's a great table for 2 right at the center window which you might get if you book the first time slot. there's an elevator to get upstairs, and a few steps to step down into the restaurant--might not be a problem for you. :)

Thanks! I think I will call Walker or Randy's in the morning. I am in such a dilema because I have friends who are confined to a chair and I know how hard it is to get around. I don't want to use an ECV if I don't have to. I am afraid of running over someone, getting on a bus, and looking like I am abusing the "wheelchair privelege" when i get up to walk around a bit. I guess maybe I may just suck it up and rent one. Better to be out some money if i don't have to use it, than to need it and not have it. I have a week and a half before we leave and then we first go on the Wonder for 4 days. I don't plan on doing excursions or a lot of walking so I should be fine on the ship.Thanks for all your suggestions. My daughter does know to go to a CM, but I never thought about her staying put. Good idea!:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter