• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back Pain standing in line

mrsw94

DIS Veteran
Hi Disers!
I'm checking to see if anyone has any advice for us. We leave in 3 weeks for a 3 day trip for our daughter's Sweet 16. My hubby has had some back issues, and is worried about having to stand in line for long periods of time. Plus all the walking. We are planning on MaxPass, so I think this will minimize a lot of the waiting time, but I was wondering if anyone else had any tips? He considered bringing a stool, but I nixed the idea as being too much of a pain.

I know we can always get a wheelchair if needed, We had to once before when he badly hurt his back carrying a too heavy bag (my overpacking issues) up the stairs to our room.

Thanks for any advice you have!

Hi Disers!
I'm checking to see if anyone has any advice for us. We leave in 3 weeks for a 3 day trip for our daughter's Sweet 16. My hubby has had some back issues, and is worried about having to stand in line for long periods of time. Plus all the walking. We are planning on MaxPass, so I think this will minimize a lot of the waiting time, but I was wondering if anyone else had any tips? He considered bringing a stool, but I nixed the idea as being too much of a pain.

I know we can always get a wheelchair if needed, We had to once before when he badly hurt his back carrying a too heavy bag (my overpacking issues) up the stairs to our room.

Thanks for any advice you have!
You might have him consider a scooter. Carrying a stool really isn't an option, stools are not allowed in the parks.

I have two places I have used for a scooter.
Deckert's - (714) 542-5607 and Select Scooters right in the lobby of BWPPI - (714) 644-8057

I have similar issues. While I cant help with standing in line, I do suggest that while roaming around the park, he should stop often, like every 15 minutes and just sit down someplace for a few minutes even if he doesn't feel like it. Just a wall, ledge or what ever you find at the moment will go a long way towards keeping those achy joints and muscles relaxed and pain at bay. It keeps overall fatigue down too.
Also, he should take an anti inflammatory before he feels bad. Same goes for keeping hydrated; drink water even before your thirsty and it will help with everything form energy levels to back pain.

Hope you have a great trip!

I have similar issues. While I cant help with standing in line, I do suggest that while roaming around the park, he should stop often, like every 15 minutes and just sit down someplace for a few minutes even if he doesn't feel like it. Just a wall, ledge or what ever you find at the moment will go a long way towards keeping those achy joints and muscles relaxed and pain at bay. It keeps overall fatigue down too.
Also, he should take an anti inflammatory before he feels bad. Same goes for keeping hydrated; drink water even before your thirsty and it will help with everything form energy levels to back pain.

Hope you have a great trip!

Thank you! That is great advice. Especially taking a pain reliever ahead of time. I also checked and our hotel does have a hot tub, so I will encourage him to take an afternoon break and use it!

no Matterhorn or Indy or Small World....my worse three attractions for back pain.....the key is keep the knees lower than the waist line.....and those three attractions have no room for the knees. Shoes. does he have a pair of shoes that wears for 4 hours or more straight. When I am grocery store shopping or following my wife on her mall shopping, I have to wear a specific pair of shoes for that four hours are longer.....those shoes also go to Disneyland. As much as I wold like to wear sandals.....ortho shoes from everyday living are the best at Disneyland.

ECV. Hands down. Things happen at Disney. The 45 min line becomes 1.5 hours when the ride breaks. You’re all ready to head back... and hit a parade. 20 min wait. He gets tired in the back of the park in the afternoon and needs to sit- when everyone else is tired so benches are gone.

My dad needed an ECV for years but just recently caved- it has taken so much stress off us!! A truly stressless sweet 16 for me would have been not worrying about my father having a medical episode in the middle Disneyland- unfortunately he was not willing to use an ECV at that time. He started using one years later and Disneyland was like a new experience! I always loved it but without worrying about my dad it was like I was finally free to ENJOY it. The amount of stress that left the rest of the family when he started using an ECV for the parks was huge. It literally changed our vacations- for so much better.

Best part about an ECV is you can use an ECV when you need it and park it when you want to walk. A nice in-between solution.

What about a disability pass? I've had bad back problems in the past and during that time I couldn't go to Disneyland. But having back problems is most certainly a disability and I would think he would be entitled to a disability pass. But I don't know all the particulars of the pass but maybe someone else here can tell you about it.

DAS isn't issued for mobility issues - they'll just tell you to get a wheelchair. I'd highly suggest renting an ECV - you can check out the DISabilities board if you have any particular questions about it. I know it may a bit of a pride issue for your husband, but I've never heard a single person with mobility issues regret getting an ECV. Disney trips are much more enjoyable when you're not in pain!

Id definitely suggest and ECV also. My dad had a mining accident several years ago and has had numerous surgeries on his back and neck. He was too stubborn the first day to get one, but could barely walk the next day so had no choice but to hire one for the remainder of the holiday. He’s never looked back since. He will always hire one straight up.

First, get some shoe insert that are custom made to his feet. That will help a lot.

There are walkers that have a seat on them. They fold up when not in use. He can use the walker to balance in line and also sit on it if he needs to.

My husband has used hiking sticks in Disneyland. Many people don't know what they are and comment to him that he is planning on skiing in Disneyland but they seem to help him out quite a bit. They use upper body muscles when the lower body is too sore.

I also agree with the others the scooter is so convenient for everyone. I use one due to having knee issues and am in too much pain to walk the park. It's great because no one has to puch you around which would tire them out. I also recommend Deckerts as the OP suggested above.

Don’t know if this would be allowed, but they have canes that have a little fold down seat on them.

Do you know what exactly is wrong with his back? I have a slipped disc that acts up now and again, and acted up last time I was at Disneyland. I would recommend going to a doctor or PT and find some exercises and stretches that will help his specific issue. For instance, sitting may be counterproductive as it may move the disc the wrong direction. He may want to stop every hour and do some stretches like back extensions instead https://www.topendsports.com/medicine/stretches/back-extension.htm.

I can post some more tips later...

I just did WDW for 9 days in June. I have a disc issue and pinched nerve in my back/neck from a fall. I was worried I was going to be in terrible pain, but it was good trip and my back did better than I expected. My advice:
- stay hydrated, this makes a huge difference
- take 800 mg of ibuprofen before you go into the parks and take it every 8 hours
- take breaks, I hurt if I walked too long or sat too long
- stretch!
- I brought a tennis ball in my backpack to help release tight muscles in my back and I also had a roller. I used both in line.
-Good Shoes!
- Get a good night sleep the night before.
- I would avoid the following rides: Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, and Guardians of the Galaxy. The first 3 rides can be jerky and the GOG would compress parts of the back.

Edit - I forgot to say that if he needs to rest/lay down he can do that at the First Aid centers.
Good luck and have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter