• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from POR any ?'s

grabom

Earning My Ears
Just back from POR. Any questions I can answer? Let me know...

Poly resort(early 80's)
Dixie Landings 1995
Dixie Landings 1997
CBR 1999
Port Orleans Riverside 2002

Hi:

Which part did you stay in, and are the grounds as nice as they were in the past?

It has been quite a few years since we have been there, but it was a favorite. The only thing I wish they would put in the rooms is a curtain like the one at the car. beach.

Deb.

Is Magnolia Bend open yet?

We are staying at PO-R in June.

Did you eat at the food court? If you did, how was it? We haven't stayed here since '96.

My wife and I stayed in the Mansions(Arcadia house). All the other times, we stayed in the Alligator Bayou section, which we have always enjoyed. The Mansions are very nice with scenic grounds. we stayed pretty close to the bridge which took us over to Boatrights and the main lobby. The only complaint we had was the TV did not work very well and the toilet did not flush that well either, otherwise everything else was great. I do not know if Magnolia bend was open, most people were in our complex and i noticed most of the cars parked in front of where we were staying. We drove from New Jersey. parking lot was pretty full.
The food court and dining hall are the best in my opinion on disney property. That is the #1 reason we keep going back to this resort. My wife loves the banana stuffed french toast and I enjoy the southern style eggs and meats. The food court has a fantastic blend of different good tasting foods that will keep you satisfied. Very nice atmosphere in the food court. Even the common cheeseburgers seem to taste better here. My wife and myself enjoy the large lobby and general store. We frequent it more often than the actual stores in the parks. They seem to have a large variety of clothing and stuff. Everyone is also very nice at the resort. Once again, We will continue to stay at this resort each and every time. We did not like CBR when we went a while back. The food court was not up to par like POR.

We were at POR last year and going back in May. Just checking.... was DD boats operating? was Bob Jackson the singer back in lounge? and was food court completely opened? Any other changes we might need to be aware of? Thanks for the info, we are staying in AB because there are 5 of us. Can't wait to go back.

The boats were not working at all while we were there 3/3-3/9. I do hear they are coming back soon. As far as the piano man, no one that I saw was there, but then again, we did not spend too much time in the lounge. We love this resort, bottomline.

Thanks for the great info!

We are looking forward to our stay!

We will be staying there in September. My mother will be using some sort of a wheelchair. Is is a far walk from the resort to the bus stops? She is able to walk, but not for LONG periods of time. What about just getting around the resort, is it so big that she should have a wheelchair at all times? Don't know if you can help, but any info would be helpful!!

Kim

I just booked PO-R for May and I have been to Disney too many times to count, but I have never stayed at a Disney Resort. I am not sure whether Mansion or Alligator Bayou rooms will be best for us. My husband and I are taking our 2 and 1/2 yr old for his first trip. We will be spending the majority of time at the park but plan to spend one entire day at the pool/hotel. I have also been reading the property is expansive - so I dont know which building/area is best for us once we have a room type selected. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!! I am very excited to take my son - he loves Mickey!! and he watching the vacation planning video daily.
TIA!!!

The resort is fairly big. It depends where you are staying as to how far a walk it is to things. There are four bus stops. Two in the area of the alligator bayou and two in the area of the mansions. There are a couple mansions that are closer to the "bridge" that goes to the main building where the food court is located. However, it seemed to me that the AB would be the best bet for someone having trouble walking. Bldg. 14 is the closest to the bus stop, food court, lobby area. We stayed in bldg. 15 which isn't much further. In the AB, though, there are not elevators to the second floor, only stairs. You would want to make sure you have a first floor room. I also know that bldg. 16 and 18 are fairly close to everything also.

We never ventured over to the mansions when we stayed there. No reason to do that. Only went as far as the pool which is located on an island between the mansions and AB. So, if you want to cruise around the resort you will probably need the wheelchair. Keep in mind, the resort is not small so no matter where you stay there will be a walk. It might not be too long but at least 5 mintues o so, I would guess, at the least. At the most it could take you 10-15 minutes depending on where you stay and where you are going.

Hope that helps.

I just booked PO-R for May and I have been to Disney too many times to count, but I have never stayed at a Disney Resort. I am not sure whether Mansion or Alligator Bayou rooms will be best for us. My husband and I are taking our 2 and 1/2 yr old for his first trip. We will be spending the majority of time at the park but plan to spend one entire day at the pool/hotel. I have also been reading the property is expansive - so I dont know which building/area is best for us once we have a room type selected. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!! I am very excited to take my son - he loves Mickey!! and he watching the vacation planning video daily.
TIA!!!

We took our son at 2.5 and he loved it. The last trip he was 3.5 and he enjoyed it even more.

Although we stayed at the French Quarter, after staying at Riverside, I would recommend that you stay in the AB if you can get in either bldg. 14, 15, 16 or 18. Bldg. 18 with a waterview is right close to the path. All four are close to the bus stop (the first one), the food court, a quiet pool, and it isn't too far from the main pool.

The bus stop for you will be a big one. There are 4 at Riverside. The bldgs. I mentioned are by the first one. With us, in the morning it was always nice to get on before it got too crowded, with the stroller and our stuff. In the evenings, it was always nice to get off first because mom was always cranky and ready to be in the room. The short walk was always welcome especially if I could go through the food court and grab a drink on the way to the room (a little longer way but well worth it for me).

The room is the same size as the mansions but it is more rustic in decor and the vegetation is thicker and not quite as "manicured" as it is in the mansion area (just like the south). Be sure to request a first floor room in the AB as there are no elevators and with a stroller that will make a difference. You might also want to request a room "away" from the parking lot. A couple of them in bldg. 15 are pretty close to the parking lot and with a toddler that concerned me. We were in one on the other side and it worked out great.

Any questions, ask. Glad to answer them. You will have a blast with your little one. I can't wait to go back in Nov. as ours will be 4.5 and I'm sure will enjoy it even more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter