Back from a wonderful trip! Report and pictures. April 7-9

Pluto468

DIS Veteran
The trip was amazing—Everything went right! Even though we were only there for 2 nights we managed to do everything we wanted to. There were only some minor things we missed,like getting pictures with photopass and riding the Mark Twain. It was supposed to be a relaxed trip, and that was a nice change. We didn't rope drop but got into the park around 9am the first day and10:30 the second. We went back to the hotel by 10:00 both nights.

Even though the 2 night trip was really fun, next time I'll go back to my usual 5 day trip.
~
Dapper Day! It was so much fun seeing everyone dressed up, and sharing compliments with other people who were participating. I'll go back for sure some time, and try to be there for both days.
~
Minnie's breakfast

I've been waiting for years to finally do this, and it did not disappoint! We had a 10:20 reservation but arrived at 10:05 and they let us in. After our photo with Minnie we were led to our table on the porch. It was a perfect place to sit,and the characters all visited us multiple times. The food was so good, especially the Minnie waffles and the eggs. We were able to watch the eclipse from Minnie's, which was extra fun.

We saw: Minnie, Pluto (Yay!), Chip,Daisy, Perla the mouse from Cinderella and Tigger.
~
We went to the Royal Theater and saw“Tangled.” It was such a great production and really funny.
~
Characters we saw around the park:Minnie, Mickey, Goofy, Pluto, Merida, Tiana, Donald, Daisy, Winnie The Pooh, Ahsoka, Mando and Grogu, Chewbacca, Sabrine Wren, Captain America, Loki, Thor and Dr. Strange.

We saw the Dapper Dans and the marching band, too.
~
Rides: Peter Pan was the first ride of the trip, and I went on it alone the next day, too. Because of my funky back I only went on Peter Pan, Pirates, Small World, Little Mermaid, Rise and Monster's Inc. But the rest of the family went on a lot of the more exciting rides. While they did that I enjoyed sitting around on benches and soaking up the atmosphere. (Oh, and eating.) :)
~
The Grand Californian:
What a hotel! Loved every minute we were there. I had booked a room through the Dapper Days website ages ago, and the week before we left I decided I wanted adjoining rooms.I stalked the site for another standard room every day, and finally at 6am on the morning of our flight one opened up. I called GCH and they linked the reservations. I got the “Your room is ready” text at 11:30am PST.

We had rooms 3233 and 3231, in the DVC wing. We got exactly the view I hoped for—trees! We were overlooking the driveway and a path. I had also hoped for the 3rdfloor so I could go to the balcony overlooking the main lobby that @DizMe has mentioned. It was a nice place to relax and listen to the piano. DS and I wandered around the hotel for a while while DH and DD were in the pool. The grounds are so beautiful, the lobby is amazing and the hotel has such a resort feel to it.

Everyone at the Grand was SO nice. From the bell services staff to mousekeeping to the people who work in the shops. We had mousekeeping every day. They did turn-down service,which was a nice touch, especially the chocolates.

One of our rooms had a tub, which was a nice surprise. I brought empty travel sized bottles with me so I could bring some of the great shampoo home :)

We ordered room service breakfast one day and it was very tasty. You order the night before and say what time you want it to arrive. The prices weren't bad, but it did add up with things like $12 smoothies. The waiter rolled the table into the room and asked where we wanted it set up, then poured out our coffee.

One of the best things about the Grand was the 6th floor balcony. It has an amazing view of DCA, and at night you can go up there and watch World Of Color. They pipe the music in, too. Only 48 people are allowed on the balcony at a time and I was worried it would be full when we got there a few minutes before WOC started, but there were only 6 other people. A few more trickled in during the show. It was a great view and a very relaxing way to watch WOC even though you can't see all the water projections. You can feel the heat from the fires.

The morning we left I called to see if we could get late checkout and they let us stay until 1:00! I was so surprised because when I've asked for that at DLH I've never gotten it.

I ordered Amazon Fresh and it was waiting for us when we arrived. They brought it up for us from Bell services.

After this stay, I can't imagine staying anywhere else. I've heard for years about how close it is, and it really does make such a difference. Plus, I just loved checking in on Sunday and not seeing the real world again until we left on Tuesday.

No Harbor Blvd at all=Bliss.
~

Two little hiccups~

The first was Oga's. We've been there before, so I know you share a booth with other people. But this timewe were seated with 5 other adults and 3 little kids. Our booth was just packed. My DD was too stressed to stay, so we left and went tothe milk stand while DH and DS stayed at Oga's. I think there should be a limit on how many people per booth. 7 adults, 2 teens and 3little kids was way too much for any booth to hold.

The second was the rudest guy ever on the train with us. He was sitting right behind us and he was swearing and complaining and making fun of people. I've never encountered anyone like him at the parks before. I think he was drunk. We all just ignored him and tried to forget all about it once we left the train.
~
I usually start trip planning the minute I get home, but I'll try to hold off for a while. Everyone in my family thought the trip was fun and magical and they all want to go back. I'm thinking maybe Christmas 2025, which feels a hundred years away!
~

Thanks for all the great tips and information, everyone here on the boards is so helpful :)

Last edited:
Some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_8089.JPG
    IMG_8089.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8114.JPG
    IMG_8114.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8082.JPG
    IMG_8082.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8071.JPG
    IMG_8071.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8069.JPG
    IMG_8069.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8047.JPG
    IMG_8047.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8019 3.JPG
    IMG_8019 3.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8038.JPG
    IMG_8038.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7992.JPG
    IMG_7992.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7984.JPG
    IMG_7984.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 33
A few more...

Attachments

• IMG_8085.JPG
    IMG_8085.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8041.JPG
    IMG_8041.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7970.JPG
    IMG_7970.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7753.JPG
    IMG_7753.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7752.JPG
    IMG_7752.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7765 2.JPG
    IMG_7765 2.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7772.JPG
    IMG_7772.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7737.JPG
    IMG_7737.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 32

More pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_7792.JPG
    IMG_7792.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7788.JPG
    IMG_7788.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7793.JPG
    IMG_7793.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7800.JPG
    IMG_7800.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7778.JPG
    IMG_7778.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7777.JPG
    IMG_7777.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7783.JPG
    IMG_7783.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7789.JPG
    IMG_7789.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 29

Two little hiccups~

The first was Oga's. We've been there before, so I know you share a booth with other people. But this time we were seated with 5 other adults and 3 little kids. Our booth was just packed. My DD was too stressed to stay, so we left and went tothe milk stand while DH and DS stayed at Oga's. I think there should be a limit on how many people per booth. 7 adults, 2 teens and 3little kids was way too much for any booth to hold.

The second was the rudest guy ever on the train with us. He was sitting right behind us and he was swearing and complaining and making fun of people. I've never encountered anyone like him at the parks before. I think he was drunk. We all just ignored him and tried to forget all about it once we left the train.
~
I usually start trip planning the minute I get home, but I'll try to hold off for a while. Everyone in my family thought the trip was fun and magical and they all want to go back. I'm thinking maybe Christmas 2025, which feels a hundred years away!
I hate when there is that guy/girl that just ruins a good time. (or when a couple is fighting with each other, just take that crap back to your hotel)

Oga's, i felt the same way the second time i went there, it was fun the first time just because it is new & it's the Cantina!!
But after that it just isn't worth the wait, even if that wait is pretty short.

Planning, is half the fun for sure, but man does it seem like forever!!

So glad you had a fantastic trip!!

We went to Ogas last time and that will be the last time for us. The floors were absolutely disgusting. Looked like they had not been cleaned in a long time. We got seated at a booth too. We were told of you have a reservation, you get a booth. If you walk up, you get a standing table. We were seated with 2 other parties of 3 adults, we were 2 adults in the booth. Then one poor couple got the 2 little chairs on the outside of the booth. We were ok with the seating but, not ok with how long it took to get our drinks. They were strict on the 45 min time, but our 2nd round of drinks took forever. The waiter dropped them off, checked on the table next to us, then came right back and basically told us our time was up, and to hurry up. Nothing had been said about time prior to that. Had we known we would have had to chug our drinks, we would not have ordered more. Lived and learned!

So glad you had a fantastic trip!!

We went to Ogas last time and that will be the last time for us. The floors were absolutely disgusting. Looked like they had not been cleaned in a long time. We got seated at a booth too. We were told of you have a reservation, you get a booth. If you walk up, you get a standing table. We were seated with 2 other parties of 3 adults, we were 2 adults in the booth. Then one poor couple got the 2 little chairs on the outside of the booth. We were ok with the seating but, not ok with how long it took to get our drinks. They were strict on the 45 min time, but our 2nd round of drinks took forever. The waiter dropped them off, checked on the table next to us, then came right back and basically told us our time was up, and to hurry up. Nothing had been said about time prior to that. Had we known we would have had to chug our drinks, we would not have ordered more. Lived and learned!
Yes, the little chairs are SO uncomfortable. We had a 45 minute limit, too. I think maybe they should pause the standby line at some point if it's getting so busy that they need to rush people out. And if you go through all the trouble to get a reservation it would be nice to have a little more space or time.
Also...I really wish they had real menus. This time it was hard to pull it up on our phone, plus I can't read it without my glasses!

@Pluto468 I'm loving your trip report and pictures! It sounds like a wonderful vacation and I'm so glad you were able to do so much. I get teased by my family for my obsessive careful planning, but I like to think it pays off, although they don't realize how much. I think you did an amazing job!!! I learned some things I didn't know and you reminded me of some I'd forgotten, so thanks!

Great report!! I'm glad your planning paid off and appreciate opinion of Grand Californian- was always curious about the DVC wing rooms too.

My experience with Oga's has been poor service, very packed and dirty. Disney could of done so much with a better (bigger) layout or 2nd floor added. No plans to ever go back.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter