• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from a trip with a 6 and almost 2 year old

emilyrachael

Mouseketeer
I just got back from a 5 night trip with my 6 and almost 2 year old. I thought I'd post a few things that might be helpful for families with little kids:

- Don't over look the first aid station! During the middle of the day at AK, my 6 year old was complaining of a headache. We stopped by first aid and they gave him a dose of Children's Tylenol. This saved our day!
- Security was much more thorough than in the past. The guards would search through every pocket of a bag, take things out, open smaller bags in the bags. We packed pretty light, but it took a while for people with large, full bags to get through the line. You might want to consider this in your packing - organize things inside your bag in clear plastic bags to make it easier to search, etc. Plus, give yourself extra time for security.
- It was challenging to find areas for the almost 2 year old to run around and get some energy out at MK. The Dumbo play area is too overwhelming and the little kids' area in the center is tiny (although my 6 year old LOVED it.) While Splash Mountain is still closed, it was quiet back there near the line and restrooms and we were able to enjoy the small play area (but it closed for refurbishment on our last day.) Chip and Dale also come out there and have time to interact since it's not busy. Epcot and AK were easier (we didn't go to HS.) He loved running around the Imagination fountains at Epcot and Rafiki's was a hit at AK.
- Baby centers were good for diaper changes, but I wish I had brought pull-ups for quick standing changes when he was only wet. Getting him to lay still with all of the excitement was not easy.
- I was disappointed in the more limited options for sides to get with kids meals at most locations. I remember there used to be more. One cast member did say they were having trouble with fruit like the packaged grapes going bad too quickly.
- Rider swap was great for 7DMT, BTMRR, and EE. We always had fastpasses for everyone and they did ask. I'm not sure what the answer would have been if we said no. They often have a cast member setup just to do rider swap or other issues at the entrance, so look for the person with the Ipad scanner! Make sure you have the little one with you when you go up to request a rider swap. I saw several people being turned away because they left the baby with grandma or someone else. You don't need the baby to be there when you use it - just when you get it added to your account.
- We had some bad luck with roller coasters being down at park opening. We trekked all the way to EE at AK rope drop just to find it closed. Check the app to make sure rides are open being walking all the way there. BTMRR had a good amount of downtime, too, in the mornings.

That's all I can think of right now. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for these trips! Great to know the actual expectations of everyone needing a FP in order to use rider swap. We are going in August with our two littles and I wasn’t sure if we would both need fastpasses (in Disneyland last year we didnt). Where did you stay? Did you go back for mid-day rests?

Don't over look the first aid station!

Yes! My 12 year old daughter was feeling a big headache coming on in Epcot and we tracked over to the First Aid/Baby Center by Mexico. Not sure what she got, as Mama was with her, but she bounced right back.

As for running around areas, I recall when my 12 year old was closer to 5 or 6, she could run like a maniac at the Goofy playground in Epcot. She loved that "fancy" playground. Now long gone...

Yes! My 12 year old daughter was feeling a big headache coming on in Epcot and we tracked over to the First Aid/Baby Center by Mexico. Not sure what she got, as Mama was with her, but she bounced right back.

As for running around areas, I recall when my 12 year old was closer to 5 or 6, she could run like a maniac at the Goofy playground in Epcot. She loved that "fancy" playground. Now long gone...

They do have a playground in Epcot! They're calling it the 'family play area' on all of the construction walls that direct you around the current maze of Epcot, but we did spend a good amount of time there.

Thanks for these trips! Great to know the actual expectations of everyone needing a FP in order to use rider swap. We are going in August with our two littles and I wasn’t sure if we would both need fastpasses (in Disneyland last year we didnt). Where did you stay? Did you go back for mid-day rests?
Like I said, I'm not sure what they would have said if we didn't have fastpasses - so I'm not sure if you 100% needed them.

We stayed at Bay Lake Towers in a 1 bedroom with rented points. We'd start at rope drop and stay until 3 or 4 each day instead of a mid-day break. My kids are early birds, so I didn't want to push them too late. Plus, we had a Magic Kingdom View room so we'd watch the fireworks from there.

They do have a playground in Epcot! They're calling it the 'family play area' on all of the construction walls that direct you around the current maze of Epcot, but we did spend a good amount of time there.
Really? Interesting! Where is that today then? Before, what we were accustomed to, was located along the side path between Pixar Shorts building and the sidewalk, as you walk towards England. Large grassy area. It had Goofy all over it and she loved it.

Really? Interesting! Where is that today then? Before, what we were accustomed to, was located along the side path between Pixar Shorts building and the sidewalk, as you walk towards England. Large grassy area. It had Goofy all over it and she loved it.
It's in the Future World section kind of on the way to Test Trek - but more towards the middle if that makes sense. It was themed to Wreck it Ralph for a while, but now it has no real theme.

A nice distraction tip when your kids are in line is to have them pass out Disney stickers to other kids. We did this when they were 5 and they loved it. This not only kept them distracted, they distracted other kids with just a sticker. When we were eating a snack at the French bakery, a toddler was having a complete meltdown at a nearby table. My girls went over and handed the little boy a sticker. The crying instantly stopped. He was just so surprised by getting stickers that he didn't know what to do. The parents were extremely grateful and we all enjoyed our snacks in peace.

We were there in Dec. and ate at only at at a few CS, but I thought there was a cookie or grapes along with entree and drink in 2017. For the zillions of meals they serve, it's hard to believe grapes could go bad

We were there in Dec. and ate at only at at a few CS, but I thought there was a cookie or grapes along with entree and drink in 2017. For the zillions of meals they serve, it's hard to believe grapes could go bad
based on small park I work at they may not go bad but have a different taste to give them a longer shelf life. a lot of the kids here do not like the taste. might not be the same but guessing it is as they were prepackaged when we got them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter