Back at home: WDW withdrawal rituals

WorldNoFace

Earning My Ears
Hey everybody
I don't know about you guys but for me, being home after a WDW trip can fill the psyche with a lot of strange and peculiar feelings. Orlando International Airport - which you were ecstatic to walk into after your flight in - now feels bittersweet and melancholy on your way out... then your home is welcoming and all (having pets who've gone dumb with happiness that you're back helps), but you know being there means before long you'll be back to the grind you'd just escaped from...
OH! And the road signs. Have you ever been more depressed to see ordinary, green road signs with white lettering? What was once a part of every day life a week or so ago is now a thorn-poke to the brain every time you hit the highway.

So, what are your coping mechanisms for dealing with all this? Here's some of mine:

- WATCH THE MAGIC: Ok, this is the obvious one. If your TV is somewhat new, it should have an HDMI input. Transfer photos to laptop, connect laptop to computer, and sit close to your television. Remember how close you'd sit to the screen playing Nintendo as a kid? That close.

- WEAR THE MAGIC: Just because you can't use it to open your door or buy $10 chicken tenders anymore, doesn't mean your Magic Band is no longer a cool bracelet. Besides, even if you take it off now, the tan line on your wrist will remind you of what once was, so might as well wear the real thing.

- SWIPE THE MAGIC:
For no particular reason, I sometimes open up My WDW Experience on my phone after I get back and just kind of browse around. What are the wait times like at the Magic Kingdom? Ooo, Happily Ever After is on - I could be running a Splash/Thunder Mountain marathon right now. It's kind of like an updated version of what I used to do as a kid which was spending hours looking at park maps.

- CRANK THE MAGIC: Play Disney music, but not just the go-to classics like "Grim Grinning Ghosts", "A Pirate's Life For Me", etc. - find the tunes they pump through the parks; the ones you don't pay much attention to at the time and then find yourself humming later on. Cleaning your house doesn't seem so bad if you feel like you're walking around Future World... dusting things... for some reason (I dunno, you'd have to work it into your story somehow).

- SNIFF THE MAGIC: This one takes some pre-planning but since smell can be one of the most powerful senses we have to transport us back someplace we're physically not at the time, it's worth it. During your trip, keep a piece of clothing, a towel - anything made of fabric - in your bed every night, and when you pack to go home, throw it in a plastic bag. And WAHLAH! - you now have a mental passage back to your hotel room for a few weeks to a month before the smell runs out (What kind of detergent do they use anyway? It's not normal for bed linens to smell that good).

- CRY: No magic here. Just tears. Now set your alarm - you've got work tomorrow.

Good point about the smell. I bought a scent machine and the fragrance used at the beach club. Like waking up there every day !

Oh my goodness, DH did too! I thought we were the only crazy ones haha. It started off bc of the smell in the dolphin, now we're on to pin pointing the poly smell. :)

If I close my eyes and use the H2O soap in the shower, for a few seconds I can convince myself that I'm going to a Disney park today. Then I open my eyes and haul myself to work.

Honestly, a week or two after a trip, I can't look at anything Disney related. Can't listen park or ride music either. It just hurts too much. Then slowly, but surely, I find my way back again and start planning my next trip (although not mentioning it to my husband just yet!)

First off, we've been taking trips of 9 - 11 park days since 2005 so by the time we reach the evening before the day we leave we feel like we've had our fill. We'd certainly stay if by some magic we were given more time off and were allowed to stay but there's no depression involved. As for withdrawal, our home videos put us back 'in the moment', particularly those we take riding the trolley up Main Street, the monorail, Friendship boats and other WDW transportation.

Bill From PA

Hey everybody
- CRANK THE MAGIC: Play Disney music, but not just the go-to classics like "Grim Grinning Ghosts", "A Pirate's Life For Me", etc. - find the tunes they pump through the parks; the ones you don't pay much attention to at the time and then find yourself humming later on. Cleaning your house doesn't seem so bad if you feel like you're walking around Future World... dusting things... for some reason (I dunno, you'd have to work it into your story somehow).

I have multiple Disney background loop playlists for just this reason! Makes a day work feel almost like a day at Disney!

Totally agree with post trip blues. We just got home yesterday and it's crazy how much I miss being there. Back to the real world is tough!!

If I close my eyes and use the H2O soap in the shower, for a few seconds I can convince myself that I'm going to a Disney park today. Then I open my eyes and haul myself to work.

Honestly, a week or two after a trip, I can't look at anything Disney related. Can't listen park or ride music either. It just hurts too much. Then slowly, but surely, I find my way back again and start planning my next trip (although not mentioning it to my husband just yet!)
Yesss. that's a good one!

I get my butt on a computer and book the next trip. that is the only way i can manage to stay sane.
Ugh wish we we could do that, but we never know when we can get back. It's been three years between this trip and the one before, an eternity lol. I actually don't do anything Disney related like music, keep wearing the MB etc. I don't even go on Disboards except maybe immediately after the trip. I will probably go back "underground" on the Disboards after mid August...I don't tend to come here too much unless a WDW trip is in the works :thumbsup2

First things first: Welcome to the Dis @WorldNoFace :wave: Your suggestions are terrific! Am I the only one who fashions a Cinderella Castle out of mashed potatoes a la Richard Dreyfus in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind?;)

There are some wonderful walk-thru videos of the parks on youtube. When I'm having a bad day, or just missing WDW, I pull those up.

Lately we've been flying, but we've driven several times on trips from MA. I always feel like one of the advantages of driving is that when it takes you two days on the road to get back, the re-entry is much more gradual and less abrupt than when you get on the plane and 3 hours later you're home.

Also as others have mentioned, we have a regularly scheduled biannual trip, so just knowing that we're coming back makes it not that bad.

It normally takes me a month or two before I am ready to look at our photos and videos. Not sure why, because being home stinks. However, once I am ready to look at the photos and videos... I . LOVE. IT.

Bringing back those memories, especially the ones that I forgot about, just makes me smile... :goodvibes:goodvibes

Dan

Lately we've been flying, but we've driven several times on trips from MA. I always feel like one of the advantages of driving is that when it takes you two days on the road to get back, the re-entry is much more gradual and less abrupt than when you get on the plane and 3 hours later you're home.

Also as others have mentioned, we have a regularly scheduled biannual trip, so just knowing that we're coming back makes it not that bad.

We usually do the drive from MA too. I have to agree that it is less traumatic to ease your way out of the bubble when we drive home. We found a Bahama Breeze restaurant in Delaware, so we always stop there on our return trip as it sort of reminds us of the Poly. By the time we hit the GWB in NY, we're pretty much back to reality. I agree with the OP that it is particularly sad to see the old run of the mill green road signs. Gee, I'm getting myself depressed about leaving Disney before our vacation! :laughing:

Last edited:
I hate being back in the real world :sad:. The worst thing ever is getting home to unpacking and all the laundry!
I start to plan our next trip the day after we get home, also look at all our photos on memory maker.
Last trip I bought wax melts that smelled like BC and Poly a couple days after we got home.
It takes me a week to adjust back to the real world :sad2:.

We arrived home last night. Tonight we are watching a PBS show called the American Experience, the Part I video of Walt Disney. Tomorrow will be part ii.

My DD and I went back over our trip and rated what we did, what we would do the same, what we would do differently, re-living as many moments as we could. I completed all the laundry. I just need to go back through our receipts from the trip.

I think planning the next trip may be on the agenda as we bought annual passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter