Baby's First Trip: Which Hotel?

So happy for you! Congratulations! We took our daughter at 4 and 9 months and already have trips planned at 14 and 21 months. It’s obviously been said but stay where you want. We love Epcot so we stay at Boardwalk. When she was 4 months, we stayed at Saratoga and it was honestly a disaster when you talk about temperament. She knew her bedtime and she would scream at around 8 and so being in a Uber trying to get back to SSR was awful. From there on out, I decided on only Epcot or monorail until we have older kids.

Another tip if you’re able is to have a 1 bedroom (or 2 with in laws). My daughter sleeps in her own room at home so at 9 mos when we took her and she was teething/getting over an illness and we were in a studio, she screamed at us all night.

I know these sound like I’m sharing the worst experiences but I wish someone had told me to stay in close proximity and to not have her in the same room! Otherwise it was amazing and she was an angel during the days in her carrier and stroller. And obviously we have 2 return trips planned so it wasn’t too bad One other small tip is that if they are crawling make sure you give them plenty of time in the room to do that, it was a rookie mistake that I think lead to being upset at night too.

I travelled all the time with our kids when they were infants (my oldest was born on Oahu, and we took him hiking on the Big Island when he was 5 months old, to Kauai at 3 months, to Maui at 9 months). He didn't care that we were at the Ritz on Maui or in a cabin on the Big Island; he was just a baby. They take no notice, and really anywhere is fine long as you bring along what you need for them. Oh and I flew him to Missouri alone when he was 6 months old for 3 weeks (and flew alone when his sibling was 3 months old and he was 2 years old). Just saying, travelling with kids isn't hard, just be prepared and pack patience with you.

I'd just start with your budget and go from there. I used to only stay at deluxe resorts, but then tried Pop and liked it! I actually like that there is a food court (we took food back to the room a lot, as it is noisy in there) for options (the deluxe resorts I've stayed at most recently don't offer much in the way of that).

I wouldn't worry about the baby; he or she is just pretty much along for the ride. Just plan on doing what you want to do.

One thing I always did, though, was stick to our regular routine that we kept at home for the most part, so when my kids were much younger, they never saw much in the way of fireworks at Disney (we were always back in the room by 7 for baths and downtime before bed, otherwise I'd pay for it the next morning).

I remember having the same struggle the first time we went down with our daughter. we took her at 9 months, and I agree, at that age it really doesn't matter where we stayed. Now that's she'll be almost 3 and also be a big sister to her then 9 month old baby sister the next time we go in August 2019, I'm sure she'll appreciate the resort a bit more. Having said that, we're staying at BCV, nothing beats having breakfast in France every morning!

A quick thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I just got back to this thread and the disboards more generally. Baby showed up and our lives got busy, go figure! I've gotten lots of good ideas and tips for making the most of a trip with an infant, and I'm definitely going to put the suggestions to use as we plan our first trip. I'm really excited for baby's first visit!

Congrats on your new baby! I am envious, not of the baby but of the toddler he or she will soon be. Toddlers are the best at Disney (from my experience).

Oh definitely! We didn't do the whole "go back to the room for naps"; they just napped in the stroller.

Ditto. i know some kids are different but mine always slept in the stroller.. my wife was not going to take them back to the room for a nap.. not gonna happen.. even today, when i want to go back to the room for a nap, not gonna happen. :(

At that age it doesn’t matter because most likely the baby will nap in the parks. I suggest getting noise cancelling headphones. I’d wait until baby is closer to 1 and can sit up with great control so she’s able to enjoy the rides. We brought our 12 month old in November and stayed at AKl and it was fine. Make sure your stroller lays back so baby will nap. Will make it so much easier for you. Ours didn’t nap when we were out but at Disney she did every day in the stroller even in loud areas. We put the noise canceling headphones on her to get her to fall asleep.

Ditto. i know some kids are different but mine always slept in the stroller.. my wife was not going to take them back to the room for a nap.. not gonna happen.. even today, when i want to go back to the room for a nap, not gonna happen. :(
Nope. Not wasting half the days on our vacation in a dark quiet bedroom. No time for that at Disney lol. Kids will manage and if they are tired enough they will nap in the stroller.

Congrats on your new baby! I am envious, not of the baby but of the toddler he or she will soon be. Toddlers are the best at Disney (from my experience).
Can’t wait. We brought our little one last November at 12 months and now she is 21 months and can’t wait to go again with her. She loves the princesses. We go next September when she will be almost 3 and I’m so excited!

I remember having the same struggle the first time we went down with our daughter. we took her at 9 months, and I agree, at that age it really doesn't matter where we stayed. Now that's she'll be almost 3 and also be a big sister to her then 9 month old baby sister the next time we go in August 2019, I'm sure she'll appreciate the resort a bit more. Having said that, we're staying at BCV, nothing beats having breakfast in France every morning!
try breakfast at the sit down place at the board walk...not thatch more then counter service and really pretty nice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter