Baby's First Haircut

dacky041208

DIS Veteran
Anyone know how early in advance you should make an appointment at the Harmony Barbershop for baby's first haircut? Or even if you need to schedule in advance? We're toying with taking a trip in 7 months and I am thinking we have to take our youngest to do that. We just have to. :P :)

Last edited:
Definitely schedule in advance. The day we were in there the walk-in situation was dicey (and I presume it generally is). I can't remember how far out we booked, but it likely begins 180 days in advance (not 100% on that number).

I would definitely make an appointment just to be safe, however they will take walk ups if they have availability. On one of our visits my teenage son was frustrated that he didn't have time to get his hair cut before we left. He was walking around MK and remembered there was a barber shop so he decided to check to see if they had availability and they were able to fit him in for just a normal hair cut. He still talks about how cool it was to get his hair cut at MK. And they did a great job, he always says it's the best haircut he's every gotten.

All of my kids had their first hair cuts here, and I just booked my niece's first haircut for our Sept trip. I always book 180 days in advance to make sure I get a time that will work with my touring style.

If you can get a reservation, that's always best.

However, if you can't, we did a walk-up for a first haircut. We waited to do it on a week day, were there at rope drop and immediately went to the barber shop and got in line. There were two people already in front of us with reservations, but we were able to get right in with the first group.

I think it depends on the crowd level and luck, but I've heard a bunch of success stories about getting in without a reservation - but they may ask you to come back later in the day. Again, a reservation secures your appointment, but definitely don't give up hope if you don't have/get one. But be prepared to be flexible - and be there early.

thanks so much everyone! We just booked our flights (holy cow, we're really going! we said we'd take a break lol)! woot!

So glad you asked this! I plan on taking my youngest for his first haircut when we go in November.

They have two chairs for ADRs, one for walk ups. I took my baby last September and didn't think to get an ADR at the 180 day mark. I started calling about four months out and could never get an ADR for her. I was able to get her in for a walk up. They recommend checking in with them as soon as you get to the park, which I did, and we were able to get a first haircut right around noon.

What would be a good age to take your child for their first hair cut? I'm currently pregnant with my first and hadn't thought about this until I just saw this thread. We're planning on going to WDW in May 2018, when our son will be about 9 months old, and this sounds like it would be great experience! We're also planning to go in Sept 2018, when the baby will be 13 months so perhaps that would be a better age?

What would be a good age to take your child for their first hair cut? I'm currently pregnant with my first and hadn't thought about this until I just saw this thread. We're planning on going to WDW in May 2018, when our son will be about 9 months old, and this sounds like it would be great experience! We're also planning to go in Sept 2018, when the baby will be 13 months so perhaps that would be a better age?
It really depends on the kid! My son was about 9 months old for his first haircut but he has LOTS of hair. Some babies are still practically bald at that age. I might book 180 out for the 13 mo trip and if Baby has a lot of hair you can always try and move it to the earlier trip

My son had his first HC at WDW when he was 13 months. Honestly it just depends on how much hair your kid will have, but I think a safer bet would be to wait for your second trip.

I waited until mine were a year old for their first haircut. My youngest will be 14 months when we go but at 7 months now he's practically bald still so I think he'll be fine!

Both my kids had their first haircuts here. It is so much fun. Definitely get an ADR if you can. As for the age (my kids are both girls), the oldest was 22 months and the youngest was 21 months.

My son had his first haircut at 11 months. It was in his eyes and over his ears. I probably could/should have taken him sooner. He's not such a fan of haircuts though. He's had 2 more since then and now, at 16 months, it looks like he could use another one!

Highly recommend doing this as the first haircut and for getting a reservation as soon as possible. There was a pretty big wait the day we went and even though we had a reservation we still waited just a little bit. It's a great deal, but really the photos we have now are priceless. Warning though....your child may do wonderfully for that first haircut, but despise every other haircut that follows. That's been my experience anyway.:rotfl:

I was able to get an ADR for my two boys to get haircuts about 3 months out. I got the day I wanted at 3:30 in the afternoon. She offered me 1 at first, but that conflicted with our CRT reservation. This might be the best deal in Disney. It is the same price as a haircut at Sports Clips.

DH has gotten his hair cut here on a few occasions. We always just do the walk-up appointment. He's always gotten in fairly quickly. We go there first thing in the morning and get put on their list. We tend to go to WDW during the slower seasons though, so this probably has an impact on how quickly he has been able to get in. :)

He always refuses the hair sprinkles at the end though...what's up with that??? :rotfl:

It really depends on the kid! My son was about 9 months old for his first haircut but he has LOTS of hair. Some babies are still practically bald at that age. I might book 180 out for the 13 mo trip and if Baby has a lot of hair you can always try and move it to the earlier trip

That's a good idea! Where do you go to book?

My son had his first HC at WDW when he was 13 months. Honestly it just depends on how much hair your kid will have, but I think a safer bet would be to wait for your second trip.

I'm thinking our second trip will be best too!

My son had his first haircut at 11 months. It was in his eyes and over his ears. I probably could/should have taken him sooner. He's not such a fan of haircuts though. He's had 2 more since then and now, at 16 months, it looks like he could use another one!

I'll probably book it for our second trip when he'll be 13 months, hopefully his hair won't be too out of control by then. If so, my son is going to walk around like that until our trip. I really want to do his first hair cut at WDW, lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter