Baby Jogger/City Mini owners-can you jog with this stroller?

micheleq

DIS Veteran
That may seem like a silly question since the brand name is Baby Jogger, but...

for those of you that are runners, can you run/jog with it?

I have a hand me down jogging stroller that is on its last leg. Ripped seat, the canopy is shot...And I am trying to get back into shape. Not hard core marathon running, but getting in shape for a 5k early this summer.

I have lots of friends with BOBs, and a few with City Minis. Any advice? I do not want to spend an arm and a leg. My girls will shortly be 5 and 3, so this would be the last stroller for us if I get a new one.

And, for what it's worth, I can probably get a Baby Jogger at a good price. My coaching mentor owns a running store, and I also have a friend who manages a high end athletic store which carries Baby Jogger and I think BOBs.

with a city mini? Not sure but I don't think so - I have a city elite which has bigger tires than the mini, the manual for that says it is not suitable for jogging faster than 3 miles an hour.

I have a hand me down jogging stroller that is on its last leg. Ripped seat, the canopy is shot...And I am trying to get back into shape. Not hard core marathon running, but getting in shape for a 5k early this summer.

I have lots of friends with BOBs, and a few with City Minis. Any advice? I do not want to spend an arm and a leg. My girls will shortly be 5 and 3, so this would be the last stroller for us if I get a new one.

And, for what it's worth, I can probably get a Baby Jogger at a good price. My coaching mentor owns a running store, and I also have a friend who manages a high end athletic store which carries Baby Jogger and I think BOBs.

Baby Jogger is the name of the company, but not all of their strollers are jogging strollers. The paperwork that came with my City Mini said not to use it as a jogging stroller. On their site, they list it as a stroller; they have a separate listing of joggers: http://www.babyjogger.com/joggers_strollers.aspx. I think the Summit XC looks the most similar to the City Mini.

Wow I am surprised to hear this. I have used this for almost 2 years (minus 6 weeks) as a jogging stroller. LOVE IT! Yes I am not training for a marathon.....just 5Ks and starting training for half marathons. My daughter is a bigger 2 year old and is more comfortable in this than any stroller. Maybe because she is used to being in the stroller when we run? I know it says it is an "all terrain" stroller, not jogger but I believe Baby Jogger only says that the "joggers" are the non-moving front wheel. I was considering a BOB and have 2 friends that are obsessed with their BOB. I chose the City Mini instead because it folds up nicer and the BOB is really bulky. Overall, I highly recommend it for running. :)

Thanks! I went online and saw the Summit version. Guess I'll have to see if my friends can get me a BOB or the Summit version so I can get moving (literally!). And there's always Craigslist :thumbsup2

Thanks again for the quick responses.

*Melissa&Shawn, I just saw your post! Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll see if I can get my hands on one and see how it goes. The roads around here are pretty flat and as long as I can lock the wheel it might bw worth a try. And it's about $200 cheaper than a double BOB or even the Summit version. It's always worth asking the question, right? :)

Have a great trip in 7 days BTW!!

No, BJ Mini's are not made for running. You will need a stroller with a fixed wheel as well as one with larger tires. Air filled ones would be a plus.

I have the city classic (which I believe is now called the city elite). It has air filled tires and the front wheel can be either swivel or fixed (there is a piece that you flip from one side to the other). I have used it as both regular and jogger and love it for both.

I would definitely NOT use the mini for jogging/running. It can get caught up on uneven sidewalk cracks just walking. Although the Classic/elite doesn't recommend it for jogging running, if you fix the front wheels it would be okay for light jogging. If you're doing more than that, you'll really need a jogger, which has large air tires and a front wheel that can not be swiveled.

Even I wont be using mini for jogging/running. Sidewalks are really dangerous. I think choosing the right Baby jogging stroller will be helpful. It's a nice wy to take care of the baby.

I use a double jogger by Schwinn, I'm thinking it was about $200 from Amazon. You can lock the front wheel to use it as a jogger or unlock and use as a stroller. It is 31 1/2 inches so will fit through most doorways. It holds my 36 lb 39 inch 3 year old comfortably.

I just ordered the Summit XC this week to use with my first little one - obviously we haven't used it yet, but we did choose it for its flexibility for jogging, or for every day use. However my husband and I do run marathons (in fact, I'm registered for one that I will be 34 weeks pregnant for - I know it won't happen, but I'm still training for it as a way to stay in shape, for as long as I can) so we were looking for a serious jogging stroller. I fear that even the Summit won't be enough to keep up with the miles we'll be logging, but we just couldn't afford to buy a $400 jogging stroller + an everyday stroller on top of that.

We tried out the Summit a few weeks ago at REI and really liked it - and it isn't much bigger than the City Mini. Take my advice for what it's worth (because my baby is not here yet and I have not used the stroller I ordered for running) but I wouldn't want to run for any distance (more than a mile or so) with anything with a swivel front wheel. I think it would just be more trouble than it's worth.

I use a double jogger by Schwinn, I'm thinking it was about $200 from Amazon. You can lock the front wheel to use it as a jogger or unlock and use as a stroller...

Sounds good, I'll have to check on this one since I've been looking around for a stroller with lock system and the price is also very reasonable with that kind of feature.

I have the city classic (which I believe is now called the city elite). It has air filled tires and the front wheel can be either swivel or fixed (there is a piece that you flip from one side to the other). I have used it as both regular and jogger and love it for both.

This stroller is not made for running, air filled tires or not. I have a Classic as well. If you want to run/jog, you should have the Summit stroller.

If you really want to run with your stroller, then I would suggest going with a BOB. You can't get a better push, running stroller. They are more expensive, but last forever, and retain their resell value.

I just ordered the Summit XC this week to use with my first little one - obviously we haven't used it yet, but we did choose it for its flexibility for jogging, or for every day use. However my husband and I do run marathons (in fact, I'm registered for one that I will be 34 weeks pregnant for - I know it won't happen, but I'm still training for it as a way to stay in shape, for as long as I can) so we were looking for a serious jogging stroller. I fear that even the Summit won't be enough to keep up with the miles we'll be logging, but we just couldn't afford to buy a $400 jogging stroller + an everyday stroller on top of that.

We tried out the Summit a few weeks ago at REI and really liked it - and it isn't much bigger than the City Mini. Take my advice for what it's worth (because my baby is not here yet and I have not used the stroller I ordered for running) but I wouldn't want to run for any distance (more than a mile or so) with anything with a swivel front wheel. I think it would just be more trouble than it's worth.

Why not go with a BOB (and this is a person who has a Baby Jogger Classic) for running. They are EXCELLENT running strollers. You can get the BOB Sport for ~$300 or the Iron man for ~$350.

As for an every day stroller, and you don't have a lot to spend after getting one of these, the I seriously suggest a First Year's Indigo stroller. Bought one for my 5 months old and LOVE it. IT's a fabulous stroller. Great for indoor use/mall crawling/etc. It comes with a car seat adaptor, the seat reverses so baby can face you, comes with a huge parent console, and a huge basket, and easy to push/turn with one hand. It's not the best travel stroller though. But for every day use - absolutely.

BOB Sport: http://www.amazon.com/BOB-Sport-Uti...ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1281362267&sr=8-5

BOB Ironman: http://www.amazon.com/BOB-Ironman-U...ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1281362267&sr=8-6

Indigo: http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-I...ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1281362386&sr=8-1

**NOTE: Runners should not run with babies, either in a good joggin stroller or not, until the baby is at least 6 MONTHS old or older (and some pediatricians suggest not for the first year of life). Their necks are just not strong enough, and even in a reclined position, running causes a lot of jossling around. It is greatly advised not to run with small babies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter