• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Baby Carrier

I borrowed a regular Ergo from a friend when I was trying it out and I got to try the organic one in a store near us. Both were a very heavy fabric, and I worried about them being heavy to wear on me when I wasnt holding baby, not as giving of a fabric when I wanted it to be, and being warmer/less breathable (can always add layers to kids, but cant remove them and body heat adds alot)..

We ended up buying the sport and I am SOO happy with it! Really happy that its more light weight fabric and more breathable.

I went with the sport because I live in AZ where it gets really hot! It is supposed to be more lightweight and breathable. I have never really had any heat issues with it, not like the Moby Wrap.

Just a word of warning. It sounds like you have never worn your other children. If you want to begin doing this you will probably end up with a baby who always wants to be held and won't be happy to be put down. I wouldn't worry too much about the trip to Disney, you DH will be there. Just bring a double stroller and the baby can have one seat and the other kids can take turns in the other seat. I never wore my kids and loved that they were happy and content anywhere and didn't need me all the time :thumbsup2

Just a word of warning. It sounds like you have never worn your other children. If you want to begin doing this you will probably end up with a baby who always wants to be held and won't be happy to be put down. I wouldn't worry too much about the trip to Disney, you DH will be there. Just bring a double stroller and the baby can have one seat and the other kids can take turns in the other seat. I never wore my kids and loved that they were happy and content anywhere and didn't need me all the time :thumbsup2

Huh? Did you ever have a baby with colic? Mine screamed bloody murder for 5 hours straight every night from 5-10 and then fussed all day long and never napped. This was from 3 weeks to 14 weeks. The Moby Wrap sometimes (like 1 in 5 tries) got him to sleep. I didn't even start with that until he was 2 months old, so 4-5 weeks into the screaming. If your child screams non-stop and there is not a trick that works to soothe him, you will lose your freaking mind. The one night a week he would sleep for 30 minutes in the Moby was just enough to save me.

I don't wear him a ton, but maybe once every few months, on vacation and sometimes at the mall. He is super happy (now that the colic is gone) and easy going. He plays super independently most days.

We used our Ergo for 2 years, but just bought a Boba for this trip

I am 5ft tall and the older Ergos are not made for small framed people.
The main reason I switched to the Boba was that they fabric is lighter and with it being warm in FL I thought we would both be more comfortable with a lighter carrier.
I found that the Boba is actually more comfy on me than they Ergo!

Good luck!

I had to burst your bubble but I wore my daughter from the time she was one week old! She is now 2 and is probably the most content easy going child on this planet. People often forget she is around or comment on how well behaved she is.
She slept through the night and in her own crib at 3 months old.
You obviously don't know the benefits of baby wearing. Especially for a nursing mother, because while baby wearing you can nurse discretely.

My daughter is happy to be worn when we go somewhere and very content in the stroller. She has never needed to be held 24/7.

You cant take a stroller into the 60 minute TSM line with you...dont just use a stroller...have a good carrier that will be supportive on your back and baby and have a great time!! There is plenty to look at in the lines and you wont have to worry about putting baby down or not having your hands free!

I have a VERY independent toddler - she has been walking in some ways since 7 months old and is very content to be alone. But when we are out and she would need to be HELD for one reason or another - having a carrier to make it easier for both of us is GREAT!

I agree with everyone who says to get an Ergo. We have one and LOVE IT. Both me and my husband can easily wear our DD. She is 18MO and 22# and although we can do the back carry, we both prefer the front carry and plan to use our Ergo a lot while at Disney in a week.

At your DS' age you would probably need the infant insert, which I found to be somewhat of a pain (used a wrap until she was 5 mo). I believe the Beco includes the infant insert rather than it being a separate purchase, but I could be wrong.

I would suggest getting the carrier sooner than later so that you can "practice." My DD hated being in a carrier (the wrap) the first couple of time but loves it now.

I absolutely love ring slings, like a Maya Wrap. I have an unpadded one which means I can adjust it a lot. My pg top weight was 183 lbs. My lowest weight was 96 lbs. I could use the same sling at both weights. I would avoid the Over The Shoulder Baby Holder though. It didn't adjust much and felt like it was slipping. A friend had the same experience. I wouldn't use carriers like the Snugglie and Bjorn. That positioning can be tough on babies - plus some absolutely hate it. Before I knew about the physical strain that Snugglies put on babies, I tried it with my first two kids at the start. But they hated it so we never really used it. I used a Maya Wrap from the start until around 33 lbs. You can even make your own ring sling for under $10! I had a homemade one the first two times around but splurged for a real unpadded Maya the third time around and loved it. It had a pocket built in which was the perfect size for a diaper, wipes, and my keys.

I've also used a ring sling as a seat belt. If a restaurant doesn't have an infant seat, you can use the ring sling around the baby's waist to strap them in. I've also used it over the stroller as a blanket to block out the sites to get baby to nap in Disney. I've had a cold child use it as a light weight blanket. I've put the extra material loosely over baby's face in the summer to shield from the sun. (Our first trip involved a 2 month old baby in June).

I've never used an Ergo and have heard wonderful things about them. But I love my ring sling so much that I never branched out. I'm very uncoordinated and the ring sling was easy to adjust.

I have a ring sling (a Taylor-Made Solarveil) and an Ergo. Honestly, I hated using the Ergo at WDW, and after two trips with it I gave up, whereas I still take the Taylor-Made even though DD is now four, because if she is worn out and doesn't want to stand in a ride line, slinging it under her butt makes it easier on our arms to carry her.

The biggest problem with the Ergo at WDW was that it was hot -- and bulky to store if I took it off to let her sleep in the buggy so that she would be cooler. Granted, mine isn't a Sport; it is the regular duck version in khaki. I even tried it at Christmastime and it was still too toasty for me to want to wear for very long in the sunshine. The second problem with it was that it is not really easy to swing to the side when you have a child in it, and on some rides the safety bar is too close to easily accomodate that bump of a baby in front of you. Don't get me wrong; I loved the Ergo for local outings and exercise, but I just didn't find that it worked that well for theme parks in my case.

I loved using my sling at WDW when DD was really little (we took her at 10 weeks and at 6 months), and like the poster I quoted, found all sort of secondary uses for it in the parks. It even makes a pretty good toddler restraint if you hook it around a toddler's waist and hold the tail while they walk. Because mine is a mesh-type, the very best thing was being able to use it in the pool while I supervised my older child. I put DD in an out-facing bucket hold in the water, strapped up high, and she LOVED it. It was also handy bathing her in the hotel shower when she was tiny, without worrying about losing my grip on a slippery infant.

I have a beco and love it, dh will also wear the baby (or toddler) as needed using it. I like my ringsling as well I had it custom made by sleepingbaby. They both serve their purpose and I use them both. That said I find it easier to put the baby in and out of the sling for lines and such at disney.

And to the poster talking about not having content children if you wear them. There are times my kids want to walk, there are times they want to be worn/held. I think that is true of most kids, there are also times I think they prefer the stroller. They are all (4 of them now) happy, well adjusted, awesome kids... Even the ones I wore more than the others:thumbsup2

I didn't mean to offend anyone or imply that baby wearing would somehow create children that were not independent later in life. In my experience working in a church nursery the babies who are worn all the time cry for mom a lot more. They want to be held all the time, mostly by mom. I was just pointing out to the OP that by using a carrier just to free up her hands at Disney she may inadvertently cause her baby to be clingy after the trip. It sounds like she has never done this with her previous children and there was no mention of colic or reason to babywear except to have more freedom on the trip.

UMM you seriously need to know things about baby wearing before making comments you dont know. I currently wear my baby every where we go. And she is a very happy baby that plays just fine by herself when she needs to. She is not clingy at all and does not have any issues riding in her stroller either.

As for the OP question. Like others said the sport is lighter weight. I live in FL and I have the regular one. I havent had any issues. I think since your little one has good head control you would be ok without the insert. I started using my ergo no insert when she was around the same age. I know she had good head control. I use it everytime we go shopping. And carrying baby helps with sensory overload when there are so many people around it lets them fell comforted knowing you are there or daddy. I know my dd if someone starts to talk to her she is more social in the carrier then if she is in the stroller. But that usually only happens at the grocery store with all the older ladies.

I didn't mean to offend anyone or imply that baby wearing would somehow create children that were not independent later in life. In my experience working in a church nursery the babies who are worn all the time cry for mom a lot more. They want to be held all the time, mostly by mom. I was just pointing out to the OP that by using a carrier just to free up her hands at Disney she may inadvertently cause her baby to be clingy after the trip. It sounds like she has never done this with her previous children and there was no mention of colic or reason to babywear except to have more freedom on the trip.

see that is a good example of why baby feels safe with mom or dad. it isnt that the baby that was being carried in the carrier was upset or clingy it was the fact that mom or dad was not there to let them know they were safe. and usually a mom who baby wears is a sahm so baby hasnt always been with other people. and even with my older kids who i did not baby wear would cry when i left her in the church nursery. no matter if she was being held or not. she wanted me to know that it was ok. babys dont understand that they need to learn that and that takes time.

I didn't "wear" my other two boys, but did hold them an awful lot. The first had colic so he didn't sleep unless I was holding him for the first 4 months. Both are now quite independent and neither ever had separation anxiety at preschool or church. I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on this!

I'm going out today to try a couple of the Ergo's and whatever else the store has. Will probably purchase one today and will begin using it soon! Our trip isn't the only reason I want one; this is my last baby and he is such a good sweet baby, I just want to cuddle him all the time!

Thanks for the advice, girls!

I usually hate to sound argumentative on these boards, but this information is so off-base that I can't in good conscience leave it alone. There is absolutely no research to support this claim (none that I have ever seen, at least), and I completely encourage the OP to ignore anecdotal evidence based on a few isolated cases.

There ARE studies that prove that babies who are acknowledged and cared for when they cry turn our to be more independent as adults. There ARE studies that support baby-wearing as a means of comforting children who need to be held a lot. There are also studies that suggest that babies who are more vocal about their need to be held and who receive fulfillment of that need develop into more independent children and adults.

Of course babies cry to be held, especially by the mom! Babies, by their very nature, attach to a human caregiver, usually the mother. Completely, totally 100% natural and healthy.

Check out this site for just some information on the benefits of using babywearing to raise attached children.

Babies have a physical and very real need for contact. It's a simple fact based on deep biological programming. Nowdays, human beings have bizarre notions that babies somehow need to become independent, and that mothers and fathers who do not force independence upon their babies and young children are somehow crippling them. Research does not support this idea at all, and actually disproves it. Humans are dependent upon adults for care for around the first 10 years of life. Independence is a very slowly developed feature in humans, biologically speaking.

As for anecdotal evidence, my DD wouldn't let me put her down to sleep, even, for her first year. I babywore her like crazy, and I almost wore out our Ergo. She's two now, and completely independent in terms of being carried. She walks more than most adults can handle. I would be more than happy to still use the Ergo with her, but she doesn't want either it or a stroller- she much prefers to walk and will hold hands when necessary to keep that walking independence rather than be held. I highly encourage moms to use carries to soothe their babies, hold them close, and also have their hands free.

So I visited a local boutique that specializes in items for lactating moms/nursing babies (The Milky Way, great name, eh?) They had several Ergo's and helped me try them on with Corban. We really liked the Ergo Sport and so I bought it as well as the white chew pads to put on the straps.

Corban loves it and so do I! I did my shopping at Target and was there for nearly 2 hours and Corban was in the Ergo the whole time...napping a little, hanging out, happy as a little clam.

I'm using it already more than I thought I would. It's super easy to get on and off, and the best part is that Corban really does like it.

Thanks girls!

My friends highly recommend Ergo carriers. That is what I plan to get for our baby when she/he arrives in the spring. They're expensive, but if both DH and I can wear it and it's comfy, then it's well worth it.

I have an Ergo for my kids. They are old enough to walk now. But when I did carry them everywhere, my Ergo was my best friend.

I vote for the Beco Gemini. I used it in Disney World when my baby was 4 months old and it was a life saver. He wouldn't go in the stroller at that point in time, so I had to wear him the entire time (12+ hour days) and my back or shoulders never hurt. I mainly wore him facing in, but on occasion would let him face out to see some things (just not for very long stretches since it's not the best for their spines). Now that he's older, I can still wear him facing in or out, put him on my hip, or wear him on my back. My second favorite (first favorite for older babies doing a back carry only) is the Olives and Applesauce.

www.paxbaby.com will let you rent carriers if you've narrowed it down to a few so that you can try them out before buying.

I had the Ergo in tan for my youngest and I loved it, wore it everywhere. If I were buying one now, I would probably choose the Ergo Sport for the lighter weight fabric.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter