Babies First Trip

EPCOTgrl1

DIS Veteran
I am about to embark on my first trip to Disney with a baby. I have been the Walt Disney World (WDW) many times before, even worked there for several years, so I know my way around the parks, but this is the first time I am going to bring my baby to Disney. I have been planning this trip since I was 20 weeks pregnant; I have been looking up blogs and trip reports to figure out what I have to look forward to, when taking a 5 month old. Well there just isn't a lot out there. Honestly I don't know what I was looking for, but it wasn't what I found.

I know some of you will say "Why are you taking a kid that young to Disney?” Well… because I want to and I can. Really this trip is for me more then it is for my daughter. I know and understand that she will not remember this trip at all but I will. I can’t wait to see her reactions to all the sounds, colors, rides, and people while we are there.

Now that has all been said: welcome to our little adventure.

Pre planning

Since I booked this trip so far in advance, and it is my first trip out of the state since I found out I was pregnant, I have been planning as much as I can. This is very odd for me, because most of our trips to Disney are last minute and they all just go with the flow.

We are also going down at the end of October, when it might be a little cooler then the summer, but not by much. During this time of year we like to enjoy Food and Wine Festival at EPCOT. There is also another event at the Magic Kingdom (MK) called Mickey’s No So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP). We toyed with the idea of going to MNSSHP but it will be to late for our daughter to enjoy and she is really to young to understand what is happening. I know that we will go back again when she is older for this event.

Travel

We will be flying this trip to Disney. With having a baby so young with exclusively breast feeds (EBF) our 12 hour trip would turn into a 20 hour trip with all the stops we would have to make on the way down. We are flying Southwest with a lap baby. I called ahead to let them know I was bringing my baby with me, I don’t think you have to do this, but you have to bring a copy of the birth certificate to the desk to get a the correct documents for the baby to go on the flight with you. Southwest also lets you gate check 2 baby items, which could be a stroller, car seat, or pack n’ play. This trip we are only taking a stroller with us because we know there will be a pack n’ play in our room and we will not be using a car this trip. When we get to Orlando we will be taking advantage of Disney’s Magical Express to get us to and from the airport.

Hotel

We are Disney Vacation Club (DVC) members. My mom requested, since she found out that we were trying to have a baby, that she come on the babies first trip to Disney. She was the one that really started my love for Disney. That being said, on this trip my parents are coming with us. We are staying at Old Key West (OKW) in a two bedroom. This room is HUGE for the number of people we have going on this trip, but I wanted everyone to have their own space. I feel that is very important. The baby wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes and I didn’t want her waking up everyone. We also invited others to come with us/stay with us on this trip, and they all said no; so more space for us!

There are may perks to having a room this big. First off we all have our own spaces that can be closed off. My husband and I will be staying in the master suite, and my parents will be staying in the room that has 2 queen beds. We will also have a full kitchen as well as a washer and dryer in the room. This will help us not to over pack, mostly for the baby. We will also be able to eat all of our breakfasts in the room as well as store leftovers and snack. For breakfast and snacks we are placing an Amazon order that we will have delivered to the hotel.

Dining

This trip we will be down at Disney for 6 days, and I only made 3 dinning reservations. They are all early dinners or late lunches. Since we normally start bedtime for our daughter, E, between 6:30-7p we thought that a “normal” dinner time would not work for us at all, and the late dinners (which my husband and I normally choose) would defiantly be out. This trip we are going to Trails End, a buffet of all the good old American favorites, Sanaa, African inspired food, and 50’s Prime Time Café, 50’s inspired food from Mama’s Kitchen. They are all very laid back and are some of my families favorite places to eat. The other days we will grab quick service food, eat around the world at Food and Wine, or see if there are any last minute reservations that we can get. Since all of us have been to Disney more then once, and we all know we are going again (within the year) we are not to concerned with not having something planned for every night.

FastPass+ (FP+)

I still dislike the FP+ system, but in the end it is making wait times shorter for all the rides, so I guess we will take it. This trip we have planned FPs for 4 out of the 6 days that we are staying. I tried to plan at least 2 FPs that everyone could enjoy, including E, and 1 FP that is just for the adults. Now I do know that there is a way to work the system, but I chose not to do that this trip. Our FPs for this trip include Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Mine Train, Dumbo, Meeting Mickey and friends, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Toy Story Mania, Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, Star Tours, and Tower of Terror. Ok maybe I did more FPs for the adults. We will be using Baby Swap throughout the trip. Baby Swap is where part of your party goes on ride while someone waits with the baby. You get a paper ticket, which you can use later to let the person waiting with the baby to go on the ride. If you have older children with you they can also join the person that was waiting with the baby to go on the ride again.

Packing

This is where I don’t really have a clue on how much stuff to take with me. I do know that with the washer and dryer in our room we don’t have to take as much. This is my current packing list for the baby:
  • 1 towel
  • 2 washcloths
  • Small soap
  • 1 package of wipes
  • 6 outfits
  • 3 pajamas
  • 3 swaddle
  • Hat
  • Sun glasses
  • Hearing protection
  • Clothes pins
  • 6 burp cloths
  • Pack n’ play sheet
  • Bottles
  • Pump and associated pieces
  • Ice packs
  • Cooler/lunchbox
  • Blue nosy thing (I am sure it has a real name but this is what we call it)
  • Bibs
  • Blanket for tummy time
  • Nail clippers
  • Boppy
  • Stuff to wash Bottles (green grass pad and bottle washer)
  • 1 Sleeve of diapers
  • Moby Wrap
  • Tula
Diaper bag-
  • 6 diapers
  • Package of wipes
  • 1 outfit
  • 2 burp cloths
  • Powder
  • Butt paste
  • Swaddle
  • Changing pad
  • Binkies
  • Feeding cover
  • Medicine

I hope this will be everything we will need, but I guess we will find out soon enough. The new trick is figuring what to put into a carryon and what to put into the bag. I have never had to think so much about what we will need for the first day in the parks.

Tips and Tricks

So while looking on blogs and websites I found a few tips and tricks that I am looking forward to trying on this trip.

Bring the boppy on the plane with us. Not only do we EBF, but we will also be having a lap baby on the plane. This will help me not have to hold her the whole trip if she does fall asleep on the flights.

Using cloths pins to attach a swaddle blanket to the front on the stroller. This way we will be able to offer full sun protection, since she cannot wear sunscreen yet. We bought a package of 50 cloths pins, since I have a feeling they will go missing throughout our trip.

Decorating our stroller so it will be less likely to be stolen. I have said this before and I will say it again, Disney isn’t the safest place on earth. There is always a chance for the stroller to be taken, but I am going to try and make it a little less likely with decorations that will be harder to remove. It will also make it a little easier to spot our stroller when it is moved.

Using a shower curtain as a rain cover for the stroller. The stroller that I have doesn’t have a rain cover that goes with it. The shower curtain will hopefully work out well.

Nursing on dark rides. I want to say my mom did this back in the day. I will be finding cool dark places where I can nurse E and give her a little break from the hot day, without having to pack up and go back to the hotel.

Taking breaks in the middle of the day. I know that this is a must now. I am not going to be dragging my child around when she is cranky and tired, no one wants that. So we will be taking breaks each day. The timing will depend on E. We are not worried about not making our FPs, and we schedule all the meals during her normal awake times.

Taking different size ziplock bags with use for dirty/wet cloths.

Using a backpack as a diaper bag.

1 more week before we leave and we cannot wait!

I've traveled several times with babies and I think you are well on your way to having a great trip. I have received the comments too about why are you going, she won't remember, too much work, etc. I would do it all over again! The trip is for you and you will remember! You are a Disney pro before kids and you will be a Disney pro with kids at the end of this! I did the stroller and baby wrap. Baby wearing was a must for me! The stroller was good to haul diapers and extra outfits as well as to give me a rest from wearing as needed. Oh and bringing lots of baggies helps! Great for stinky clothes! We did the back pack diaper bag for the first kid, but later just moved to the stroller bag that attaches to the handle bars for diapers, wipes, and change of clothes. We never needed the stuff in line and it was less to carry with us when we HAD to be separated from the stroller.

Very back row of great movie ride was a great place to nurse too! I just asked the attendant as they were loading the car, told him I needed to nurse and was able to wait for the next one!

Excited to hear about your trip. DS is 3 and I'm due in February with DD. We're planning on taking a trip next Sept, so she'll be roughly 7 months. The first trip with DS he was about 17 months, we took it slow and he loved it. It's been so long since I've been in that infant stage I forget all the stuff I'll need to pack! We're going to try to pack on the lighter side, though Southwest makes it easy to bring anything and everything. I'm thinking baby carrier and stroller and try to minimize the rest of the stuff. Enjoy!!!

We are crazy too. Taking our almost 3 year old and almost 6 month old in November. Looking forward to your report!

Congrats on your little one. I have a 7 week old sleeping on me at the moment:)

I remember watching a trip video a while ago. It was parents who brought their baby with them to WDW and it was awesome! They made the exact same point. Even though the baby wouldn't remember, THEY would remember! I think you'll have an awesome time and I wish I could take my little guy! We took my now 3 year old to Disneyland when he was almost 2. He talked about it almost everyday for a full year when I took him back this past June!

Can't wait to hear all about the trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter