Awkward question, cruising with LO's that wet the bed?

WakeNBake

Earning My Ears
Hey there all!

So bit of a newbie question--we're 2nd time cruisers, and this will be our first ever cruise with bringing our two boys along (will be 4 and almost 7, at our sail date). Was somewhat hoping that this wouldn't be a concern by our departure...but, for anyone that has BTDT, how do you generally handle bedwetting while on the ship? At home, both boys usually sleep in a pull-up...but frequently leak through (especially the oldest). Obviously this isn't a major issue at home, but I'm concerned about dealing with this on the ship...especially as both kids are likely to be exhausted each night, and likely drinking a lot more than usual.

As a side note, I know the Oceaneer Club requires kids to be potty trained--but I was wondering, do they have a policy on daytime PT'd kids joining in the evenings in their PJ's/with pull-ups underneath? Is this allowed..?

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing everyone in a post-covid/vaccinated world! (we had to cancel our first ever disney cruise last year.)

Hey there all!

So bit of a newbie question--we're 2nd time cruisers, and this will be our first ever cruise with bringing our two boys along (will be 4 and almost 7, at our sail date). Was somewhat hoping that this wouldn't be a concern by our departure...but, for anyone that has BTDT, how do you generally handle bedwetting while on the ship? At home, both boys usually sleep in a pull-up...but frequently leak through (especially the oldest). Obviously this isn't a major issue at home, but I'm concerned about dealing with this on the ship...especially as both kids are likely to be exhausted each night, and likely drinking a lot more than usual.

As a side note, I know the Oceaneer Club requires kids to be potty trained--but I was wondering, do they have a policy on daytime PT'd kids joining in the evenings in their PJ's/with pull-ups underneath? Is this allowed..?

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing everyone in a post-covid/vaccinated world! (we had to cancel our first ever disney cruise last year.)
I've read reports where they will refuse kids in pullups. Why not just put the pullups on after you pick them up from the club?

Also, you might want to get some of those disposable pads to protect the bed in case of leaks. Much easier to switch one of those out if the pullup leaks than to deal with wet sheets in the middle of the night.

Using the Pull ups at night, curbing all the Xtra fluids since you know it may be an issue and bring along the bed pads or use towels perhaps as it will reach the mattress etc.
I’d try to avoid that for comfort as well as Sanitary reasons for ur family and ultimately, others. Best of luck and Happy Sailing!

For my younger son what helped him stop wetting in the night was taking him to potty one more time 1-2 hours after he goes to bed. My husband would scoop him up sound asleep and carry him to the bathroom and he’d mostly still be asleep, or sometimes say something funny to us like he was dreaming lol. But he’d go one more time and wake up dry in the morning. We started doing this both at home and when we traveled, he never wet the bed again. I could have never carried him myself but once or twice when my husband was sick I went in and slightly roused him, coaxed him to get out of bed and walked him to the bathroom with my arms around him holding him up, and it worked surprisingly well too.
It was a little bit of a pain on nights when the kids stayed up later too, because then my husband and I would have to force ourselves to stay awake longer to be able to take him to potty 1-2 hours after bedtime. But it was always worth it. On cruises it’s really hard to stay awake because we all get back to the cabin ready to crash, but we got in the habit of my husband and I taking turns showering and prepping for the next day once the kids go down and it helps us stay awake til it’s time to take my son on the potty trip.

For my younger son what helped him stop wetting in the night was taking him to potty one more time 1-2 hours after he goes to bed. My husband would scoop him up sound asleep and carry him to the bathroom and he’d mostly still be asleep, or sometimes say something funny to us like he was dreaming lol. But he’d go one more time and wake up dry in the morning. We started doing this both at home and when we traveled, he never wet the bed again. I could have never carried him myself but once or twice when my husband was sick I went in and slightly roused him, coaxed him to get out of bed and walked him to the bathroom with my arms around him holding him up, and it worked surprisingly well too.
It was a little bit of a pain on nights when the kids stayed up later too, because then my husband and I would have to force ourselves to stay awake longer to be able to take him to potty 1-2 hours after bedtime. But it was always worth it. At home it’s easy because the kids go to bed at 8:30-9ish and my husband and I are usually up til 11 so we take him before we go to sleep. On cruises it’s really hard to stay awake because we all get back to the stateroom ready to crash, but we got in the habit of my husband and I taking turns showering and prepping for the next day once the kids go down and it helps us stay awake til it’s time to take my son on the potty trip.

If I were you I would bring disposable bed pads. You should be able to order them online. PJ's are allowed in the Lab. I wouldn't mention anything about pull ups. Just put them on, however he needs to be able to use the restroom by himself without any help.

The bunks are likely to already have waterproof mattress covers on them, but I would definitely mention it to your stateroom host on your first day to make sure that they are added if needed. You can also bring mattress covers from home to help with your sons' comfort. You can also ask your house to leave an additional set of sheets in case you need to change the bed at night.

You can ask the stateroom host about a waterproof mattress cover for the kids' beds. I'd also bring the GoodNites disposable pads, we used those for many years when we traveled. Since you may be doing laundry anyway (wet PJs) you could bring reusable waterproof crib pads and toss in the laundry with the PJs. That's what we used at home.

As for the Club/Lab -- do your kids need the pull-ups on in the evening if they will be awake and playing? I'd skip the pull-up until you get back to your stateroom for bedtime.

The bunks are likely to already have waterproof mattress covers on them, but I would definitely mention it to your stateroom host on your first day to make sure that they are added if needed. You can also bring mattress covers from home to help with your sons' comfort. You can also ask your house to leave an additional set of sheets in case you need to change the bed at night.

I would definitely ask to confirm. I had to be on that bed once and it did NOT have anything waterproof on it.

Unless it’s the pajama party I wouldn’t send them to the club in their pj’s kids are brutal and they could be made fun of.
If you want to make bedtime easier and not have to change clothes maybe have them wear gym shorts and a T-shirt

Unless it’s the pajama party I wouldn’t send them to the club in their pj’s kids are brutal and they could be made fun of.
If you want to make bedtime easier and not have to change clothes maybe have them wear gym shorts and a T-shirt
My boys have been to the club in pj’s on Pluto PJ Party night and had a blast. About 50% of the kids were in pjs each time we’ve done it. Mine would have definitely told me if there was any incidents of kids being made fun of, and instead have asked not to miss it and not to forget their pj’s for that night specifically on subsequent cruises. This was in the 5-8 age range each time.

My boys have been to the club in pj’s on Pluto PJ Party night and had a blast. About 50% of the kids were in pjs each time we’ve done it. Mine would have definitely told me if there was any incidents of kids being made fun of, and instead have asked not to miss it and not to forget their pj’s for that night specifically on subsequent cruises. This was in the 5-8 age range each time.

The person you quoted said, "Unless it’s the pajama party I wouldn’t send them to the club in their pj’s kids are brutal and they could be made fun of. " :-)

I would definitely ask to confirm. I had to be on that bed once and it did NOT have anything waterproof on it.

Are you sure? Unless there was nothing at all on the mattress, it wouldn't necessarily be obvious if the cover had an internal waterproof layer or not.

It would be pretty absurd for any hotel, and especially Disney, to leave their mattresses unprotected against bedwetting incidents. And not just in children; plenty of adults have nighttime incontinence issues too. And it's not always predictable. Sometimes kids who have been dry at night for months or even years will go through a phase of bedwetting.

And that doesn't even consider other accidents, involving both all manner of bodily fluids and other liquids.

OP, I wouldn't be particularly worried. If your kid wets the bed, he won't be the first, or likely even the first that week. My youngest was a bedwetter. We dealt with it on vacation the same way we did at home, which, for us, did not involve pull-ups. Mostly we were vigilant about waking him to go to the bathroom before we went to bed ourselves, and for him that was usually enough. He did wet the bed once on DCL. IIRC we threw a towel down to get through the night, and mentioned it to the stateroom host (with apologies) the next morning. It wasn't a big issue.

I agree with others that it might be helpful to mention the situation to your stateroom host in advance, and maybe have them leave spare bedding so you can change the sheets yourself if necessary.

Are you sure? Unless there was nothing at all on the mattress, it wouldn't necessarily be obvious if the cover had an internal waterproof layer or not.

It would be pretty absurd for any hotel, and especially Disney, to leave their mattresses unprotected against bedwetting incidents. And not just in children; plenty of adults have nighttime incontinence issues too. And it's not always predictable. Sometimes kids who have been dry at night for months or even years will go through a phase of bedwetting.

And that doesn't even consider other accidents, involving both all manner of bodily fluids and other liquids.

OP, I wouldn't be particularly worried. If your kid wets the bed, he won't be the first, or likely even the first that week. My youngest was a bedwetter. We dealt with it on vacation the same way we did at home, which, for us, did not involve pull-ups. Mostly we were vigilant about waking him to go to the bathroom before we went to bed ourselves, and for him that was usually enough. He did wet the bed once on DCL. IIRC we threw a towel down to get through the night, and mentioned it to the stateroom host (with apologies) the next morning. It wasn't a big issue.

I agree with others that it might be helpful to mention the situation to your stateroom host in advance, and maybe have them leave spare bedding so you can change the sheets yourself if necessary.

Unless bed pee covers are now soundless, there was NO pee cover on the pull down bunk. Every time I've been on a bed where one was, you hear it, and yes, there is a different feel when you lay down.

Now, could our stateroom host have removed it having met us all and knowing we were all adults? I suppose.

I would still err on the side of telling them you need pee protection on the bed.

You can ask the stateroom host about a waterproof mattress cover for the kids' beds. I'd also bring the GoodNites disposable pads, we used those for many years when we traveled. Since you may be doing laundry anyway (wet PJs) you could bring reusable waterproof crib pads and toss in the laundry with the PJs. That's what we used at home.

As for the Club/Lab -- do your kids need the pull-ups on in the evening if they will be awake and playing? I'd skip the pull-up until you get back to your stateroom for bedtime.

OP here.
Will certainly ask about a cover, thanks! I'd completely forgotten about those. We had one previously that we took on trips, but it got torn--and was thrown away by my "trash it!" mindset DH. ODS used to be our main culprit for leaks overnight, but more and more it's looking like his younger brother may be on the same track. At home it's not unheard of for us to be dealing with someone's pull-up leaking almost every other night, and I expect things won't be much improved at night on the ship, what with them being so wiped after the day's fun. Ugh.

As far as the Club goes, it *probably* wouldn't be a terrible idea for the oldest to be wearing one while he's there, but likely would be unnecessary. Not particularly because I'm concerned about accidents while they're awake...but I know that--especially for ODS--he can, (and will) fall asleep in places/situations you would assume are impossible. Even if things are crazy around him and there's a ton of activity, once he gets even remotely drowsy...he's out like a light.

I second the waterproof mattress pads as well as using a diaper double pad in the night time pull up. Those pads are great and make the pull up even more absorbent.

It's fine to ask your attendant about a cover, but if you are pretty sure this will be an issue, (and it sounds like you are) I would suggest bringing your own protective covers to be 100% certain. As others have mentioned, this way you can wash them with your soiled PJs and be ready for the next night. I also agree with PPs comments about cutting back on liquids well before bedtime & YOU being diligent in waking them to pee so that it might reduce the likelihood of an accident.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter