• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Awkward Character Interactions. Share yours!

After meeting Lotso, he gave me a big hug. My tennis bracelet got stuck in his fur, and it took me a few minutes to get it out.

My ex-husband and I met with Tiana and Naveen at MNSSHP. They asked us the secret to a healthy marriage since they were newlyweds. We were months from separating. We just kind of went "Uhh..." Wrong couple to ask, guys!

The first time my daughter met Goofy, she was 2 and desperately wanted to be picked up by him. It was clear that he could not pick her up, so I tried to hold her for the picture, but she started screaming and reaching for him. We all grinned and posed for the pic, but in the photo she is trying to dive out of my arms and into his. Poor girl just could not understand why Goofy wouldn't hold her.

Met Pluto in toontown, disneyland and he couldnt give a ****.

Met him later on in the day in Town Square and he was much nicer.

Not awkward but Darth Vader is scary. Very intimidating. I bet the young person who is 'friends' with him gets a big bang out of scaring people.
He knocked my ears off twice! I thought i was so slick as i met him on may 4th and said 'May the 4th be with you.'
He probably heard that 100 times earlier in the morning!

Last edited:

I met Chip and Dale on a solo trip in Disneyland... I'm not sure if I'm happy or not that the photopass pictures from the meet got lost or not. One of them was signing something in like a modified ASL to the handler about me (I seriously think he was talking about my b****) and then other one wasn't really paying attention. When he caught on that a conversation was going on without him the first one signed something again and the handler asked him if he knew what it meant. He shook his head "no" and the handler just says "well figure it out" by that point I was fairly sure I'd figured it out and left. Way to make a girl feel special on her birthday boys.

During an Electrical Parade a year ago, a woman was watching/recording the entire thing on her iPhone, oblivious to anything outside the frame of her screen. The Snow White float came by, followed by the dwarfs.

Grumpy walked over to her (she was at the front of the crowd) and stood an inch from her phone, his nose filling the screen. I took it as him not just being grumpy/malicious, but also saying "Wake up, you're missing the parade".

Awkward for her...

We were at BOG getting our pic made with the beast. My husband is very tall and went to place his hand on the beasts shoulder. The beast turned to look at him and shook his hand off. He obviously did not want to be touched It shocked my husband and we will never forget it.

When I met Chewy at Launch Bay during a Star Wars dessert party, I totally wasn't expecting my teenaged self to come out. I got all giddy and shouted, "I've been in love with you since I was 14!" Chewy was good about it-great hugs, but his fur smelt a bit.

We were at BOG getting our pic made with the beast. My husband is very tall and went to place his hand on the beasts shoulder. The beast turned to look at him and shook his hand off. He obviously did not want to be touched It shocked my husband and we will never forget it.
Same kind of thing happened when my youngest DD was about 6 years old. We met Mickey at Garden Grill. She reached up, gently touched his nose; and he swatted her hand away. I too was shocked and never forgot it. I still can't understand what she did so wrong.

Same kind of thing happened when my youngest DD was about 6 years old. We met Mickey at Garden Grill. She reached up, gently touched his nose; and he swatted her hand away. I too was shocked and never forgot it. I still can't understand what she did so wrong.

Same thing happened to me on our first Disney trip! I tried to touch Dale's nose and my hand was hit away

I met Belle a few years ago at MVMCP. I asked my son (10 at the time) if he wanted a picture with Belle. "Nah." I told him "Well I do!" So he and I walked over to Belle and I asked if she would mind if we got a picture with her. Of course, she said she wouldn't mind at all. I'm sure she was thinking my son would jump in next to her. When I handed the camera to my son and I jumped in next to her she almost jumped back. The look on her face in the picture is priceless. It's kind of a mix of forced smile, confusion, and horror. :rotfl2:

My husband and I (both males) were dining at Ariel's Grotto at Disney California Adventure. Cinderella came by our table and said to us, "Did you leave your princesses at home"? My spouse (we'd had a cocktail or three by then) answered her (doing his best Bette Midler imitation) to my shock....."Honey, who needs a princess when ya got the queen right here"! The look on Cinderella's face was hilarious, but all she could muster was, "Well, you princes enjoy your dinner." AWKWARD!

Last edited:
Last year, hubby and I were up early for a 7 am EMH at Magic Kingdom. We had ridden SDMT and were zipping around a completely deserted New Fantasyland. We went by the entrance to the Little Mermaid ride and thought, "Why not?" So we headed in -- except we'd headed in to Ariel's Grotto. It's completely unsettling to come around a corner and see a mermaid sitting there when you're not expecting it. At. All. My husband and I don't do character M&Gs for the most part, so we were trying to save face and not be like, "Oh, this isn't where we meant to be!" The picture from that encounter is hilarious. We made our way outside and doubled over laughing.

During an Electrical Parade a year ago, a woman was watching/recording the entire thing on her iPhone, oblivious to anything outside the frame of her screen. The Snow White float came by, followed by the dwarfs.

Grumpy walked over to her (she was at the front of the crowd) and stood an inch from her phone, his nose filling the screen. I took it as him not just being grumpy/malicious, but also saying "Wake up, you're missing the parade".

Awkward for her...

I had a similar thing happen! I was sitting on the curb and I was taking pictures of each float (don't think I was recording anything) but I was using it as a time to try to see if I could figure out the settings to shoot night time shots with my DSLR. And as I'm taking a picture one of the dwarfs gets like 2 inches from my face and waves at me. Scared the crap out of me! I think it was the 2nd one of the night so there wasn't a huge crowd. (June 1 or 2 years ago)

When we were 15, my sister, my two best friends and I were at a character breakfast and when Pluto came to our table he took a pen and wrote on the placemat, "DO U WATCH THE GRIND ON MTV"

We were like, "Uh.... what?"

Never forgot it. Wish I'd kept that placemat. So inappropriate but I find it hilarious in retrospect, obviously just a teenager in a dog suit trying to relate to other teenagers.

Kylo Ren. I hated it.

He did his job well, though!

Kylo Ren is intimidating, but not as much as Mary Poppins! I was trying so hard to not have her call me out on my manners or anything. I'm kinda awkward in general though and don't meet the characters too often except at a meal.

Last edited:
Kylo Ren is intimidating, but not as much as Mary Poppins! I was trying to hard to not have her call me out on my manners or anything. I'm kinda awkward in general though and don't meet the characters too often except at a meal.
I loved our Mary and Bert meet!

We met Baymax, and I walked up to him and asked him if he could do anything about my bad back. He just stood there awkwardly and did nothing.

I went to see Hiro and Baymax when they were both still at DHS, and at the time I had still not actually seen that film, so I awkwardly made small talk with Hiro and gave Baymax a hug.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter