Awful smelling rooms at Boardwalk Villas/Inn

Well this is pretty disconcerting- this wouldn't be tolerated at the holiday inn, but I find Disney gets away with murder because of the location and amenities. If our room stinks, do you think they will offer to move us? If they try to spray it and put some air purifier in there, that's not going to work for me as I've already heard it doesn't really help and we only have four nights to enjoy our time.

I stay mostly in BW 1BR, never seen anything like this. I mean FL in general is a giant, smelly swamp. If you're that sensitive to smells, traveling to a swamp might not be a great idea. Tripadvisor is full of a lot of people who, uh, don't get out much.

But yea, BW is very much due for an update. If you expect gleaming clean, a resort about to be refurbed probably isn't the best pick.

Last edited:
Well this is pretty disconcerting- this wouldn't be tolerated at the holiday inn, but I find Disney gets away with murder because of the location and amenities. If our room stinks, do you think they will offer to move us? If they try to spray it and put some air purifier in there, that's not going to work for me as I've already heard it doesn't really help and we only have four nights to enjoy our time.
Comparing a hotel to a timeshare is very imprecise.

Every hotel has bad rooms. Rooms that are in poor locations, abused by guests, had a recent water leak, musty, dirty, etc. However, industry-wide hotels average about 60% occupancy. The vast majority of the time, hotels can afford to leave the poorer rooms empty. When they sit empty, housekeeping and maintenance have more time to address problems.

Timeshares operate at essentially 100% occupancy year-round. There is some wiggle room to have a couple rooms empty at a time for extended maintenance, but right now all of that excess capacity at BWV is being reserved for the massive renovation that will start in fall 2023.

What's missing from this particular conversation is any form of context. Are people complaining about the same 4-5 rooms, giving you about a 1% chance of getting one that's particularly run-down? Or is it a more widespread problem? We really don't know. I'm an owner at BWV and have probably stayed there 20 times. I can think of one room that was particularly run-down but generally we've been quite happy with our stays.

What we do know is that it has been 7-8 years since the BoardWalk Villas were last refurbished. We know they will be getting tear-down-to-the-studs updates beginning in a few months. The rooms are undoubtedly showing their age. If you have high expectations for a stay occurring about 8 weeks before the refurb begins, I would recommend staying elsewhere.

They very often don't have any DVC units to move you to, especially at Boardwalk. And most people would pitch murder if asked to move to Saratoga from BWV.

Never had a stinky room. Will say my last studio did look like it was due a deep clean stains on the sofa bed and carpet. Who's bright idea was it to go with such a light carpet colour last refurb? Shows all stains.

Hopefully the refurb will put laminate down

Stayed for 2 nights in a deluxe studio a few weeks ago and had no smell issues at all. We fell in love with the resort and I have been secretly stalking resale sites for a small contract to try to entice DH to buy more points. :-)

1 Bedroom Boardwalk View, Room 2041. 5/31/23 to 6/5/23.

No issues with smell in the room nor anywhere at the resort.

Now hearing the standard boat horn in groups of 3 all day, that's a different story. :rotfl2:

I was there in December (dvc studio) and though I never smelled anything musty or moldy, the room itself was a bit run down. Stained rug and sleeper sofa, broken bathroom fixtures and broken bureau. After that particular trip I swore I would never spend another dime at that resort. I might think about another stay after the refurbishment but at this time I prefer the Riviera and the direct skyliner to the Epcot. Especially since the skyliner drops you off directly in front of the international gateway😊

I stay mostly in BW 1BR, never seen anything like this. I mean FL in general is a giant, smelly swamp. If you're that sensitive to smells, traveling to a swamp might not be a great idea. Tripadvisor is full of a lot of people who, uh, don't get out much.

But yea, BW is very much due for an update. If you expect gleaming clean, a resort about to be refurbed probably isn't the best pick.
@RoseGold in her colorful way is correct, many members live in the north do not realize that there are very strict rules you have to follow when living in Florida. If the carpet is wet from something overflowing, or even a spill - you have to get it dry fast or you will have mold. You can't leave food out, or garbage or you will wake up to ants. I used to take out the garbage every night and clean every countertop immediately when finished when I living in Louisiana - there is no " leave the dishes in the sink till the morning"

And hope your child does not leave a sliding door ajar on the first floor - you will have unwanted guests potentially of the slithering kind.

You can't blame the hotel for what some members do.

We were there last month in 2 studios for a week. Both were just fine. Wonderful to be there (again).
We go quite often. Always good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter