AWESOME ADR tip

KCMiller

DIS Veteran
OK, so I was at WDW over the holidays, and it was packed. Our plans kept changing, and I ended up having to cancel most of the ADR's I had made over the past few weeks, and it was very stressful, making sure they were cancelled correctly (I had given my CC for each one, and didn't want to be charged as a no-show). The day we arrived we had no ADR scheduled, but we decided to try for a walkup reservation at Tony's, and arrived at 6:45pm. Not surprisingly, the lovely CM told us they were all full and not taking any walkups (it was a very cold and windy day, and folks were sitting long, etc.). The CM also told me that all TS restaurants were completely booked up - she was looking AT her computer when she told me all this.

I walked 10 feet away and pulled up the official Disney Parks Mobile Magic app on my smart phone that I had downloaded for free from the Android market. I clicked on Dining, clicked on Make Reservation, put in the time I was looking for, the park and the number of guests, and in seconds, I had not only made us a reservation for 5 for dinner at Tony's for 7:50pm, but had my choice of several other TS restaurants, including, and I kid you not, Cinderella's Palace. I walked over to the CM I had just talked to, and showed this to her, and she was amazed! Seconds later, the ADR I had just made on my phone popped up on her screen.

I don't know WHY this worked the way it did - my guess is that the mobile site has a certain number of ADRs assigned to it, but it's just a guess. OH, and did I mention, there was NO requirement to put in a credit card (although for the ADR's that always required them, like CRT, you can see that there's availability, but you still have to call and give a card). I could always find a reservation, the whole time we were at WDW, even when all the ADR's were gone online and when I asked at Guest Services.

Anyway, it was an amazing thing, and felt really, well, Magical!

KC:santa:

Shhh, don't give up our secret!!! :lmao: Ok, I'm kidding (sort of), but on our last two trips, which were during free dining, we ALWAYS were able to get a last minute table this way, it was awesome! :thumbsup2

I'm making my husband download this app for his android ASAP!

Isn't this app only available on Verizon? I'm on Sprint and it is not listed in the Market. However, Disney's website m.disneyworld.disney.go.com works fine on most smartphone browsers and has a section for making dining reservations. Website also shows park hours, show times, wait times etc. Works perfect on my sprint android Nexus S.

I did the exact same thing multiple times before, just not with the app. I just simply call Disney Reservations. It's never failed. I've also done the opposite. I've called and was told that there were no ADR's available and still went to the restaurant and was ale to get in within 15 minutes. Maybe I'm lucky, but both ways have ALWAYS worked. I always eat where I want to and I never wait more than 15 minutes. :confused3

Unless they have something new, it wasn't an app - just the mobile version of the Disney dining site.

Edited: oh I see the OP mentioned the Mobile Magic app - well you don't need that (and you can't use that on AT&T last I knew, just Verizon) - you can just use the mobile site.

I just downloaded the WDW app from itunes for the iphone yesterday - so it is available.

Is this the same as the Mousewait app? I have that loaded to my Android phone (AT&T) but the menus link to All Ears and I don't see where to actually make an ADR. Great information regardless!! :)

on iphone....what would you search for in the app store?

Shhh, don't give up our secret!!! :lmao: Ok, I'm kidding (sort of), but on our last two trips, which were during free dining, we ALWAYS were able to get a last minute table this way, it was awesome! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 Ding, ding, ding. This is why I laugh every time I read a post saying "you have to have adr's 180 days out or you will eat only cs the entire week long".

For the regular web browser location (not an app) - go to m.disneyworld.disney.go.com/reservations/dining/m/

If you just Google Disney Dining on your phone, it's the first link that comes up and when you click on it, it sends you to the "m" mobile version.

I haven't used it since last spring, but it worked great for making a same day reservation while in the park.

Is this the same as the Mousewait app? I have that loaded to my Android phone (AT&T) but the menus link to All Ears and I don't see where to actually make an ADR. Great information regardless!! :)

Mousewait would be something different. The OP is talking about the official Disney Parks app, not a 3rd party one.

Here is the link to the official app:
http://disneyparksmobile.com/mobilemagic/

Per the information there, it does not list iPhones and says it is only for Verizon. I knew that was the case in the past and it doesn't look like it has changed.

Wow! Is this app available for iPhones?

Unless they have something new, it wasn't an app - just the mobile version of the Disney dining site.

Edited: oh I see the OP mentioned the Mobile Magic app - well you don't need that (and you can't use that on AT&T last I knew, just Verizon) - you can just use the mobile site.

on iphone....what would you search for in the app store?

As noted above, this is something you can easily do on the iPhone by going to the mobile version of the Disney dining site. Once there, put a bookmark to it onto your iPhone home screen to access it more quickly. No need for a special app.

I'd love to have this app. Hopefully the Verizon-only contract will expire and it will be available to everyone.

Out of curiosity, I went on Disney's mobile site under dining to see availability for 'Ohana for tonight and tomorrow evening. If I had wanted, I could have made an ADR for 5 at 6pm for tomorrow. I guess the CC policy is opening the tables up a bit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter