"Avoid YC Standard Rooms"...True?

missypie

<font color=red>Has an outlet for romance<br><font
The 2005 "Unofficial Guide", when discussing YC and BC, makes the sweeping statement "Avoid standard rooms."

YC veterans, is that true? Are the YC standard rooms so bad that it's essential to pay $79 more per night for a water view room? What's so bad about them? They can't ALL over look a dumpster.

We once had a YC standard room that overlooked the front driveway and valet area. It wasn't the greatest view, but for the price we paid I was happy to be at the YC!

The room itself was fine. I recall two full/queen beds and even a day bed! It was very clean and had a nice big bathroom. No problems for us.

The room was also very close to the elevator so we had a nice short walk.

Enjoy!

on how important a view is to you. If you won't spend much time in the room I don't think you'll have a problem. There are parking lot views at the YC. I personally would pay the extra $$ - but that's because we've been so many times we like to relax on the balcony and watch the world go by.

PamNC

Well, I can't tell you our standard room view because we were upgraded to water view (and it was wonderful). However, I did request on the reservation for a garden view/lakeside room. There are a few standard view rooms that overlook the wedding gazebo. If money is an issue then just go with the standard view. There are so many other places to relax with a view at the YC.

~DawnMaree

We've had some lovely YC standard rooms - we always request a garden view on the lake side overlooking the wedding gazebo, - they are standard view rooms. Look at the YC/BC FAQ thread - there are room locations that are color coded by view - many standard views are located on the lake side. I fax YC a few days before arriving & request a chunk of room numbers on several floors (2-4) that overlook the wedding gazebo or boat dock (that often affords a view of Illuminations from your balcony) to give them many options in meeting my requests. Of course, then I beg upon arrival...:p

We stayed YC concierge a couple of years back. Our room view was of the drive up to the resort. Our room was connected to the very big balcony right over the entrance and we really enjoyed having such a big balcony. We never saw the other people from the rooms we shared it with.
The rooms are very nice and we wouldnt hesitate to stay in a standard view room again.

We just got back from a BC standard room and initially got a room overlooking some gross roof w/a standing room only balcony. When we got to the room I just called down and stated I would prefer a full balcony and they switched us to a view of the BC club small pool which we could also see the boardwalk and the lake....I don't know if it was considered an upgrade or not but the room was great and we actually spent little time on the balcony anyway!

Our YC standard room was on the side facing the quiet pool with a beautiful garden view. Probably about 2 rooms down would've been looking at the pool so it was almost a "water view".

Originally posted by missypie
The 2005 "Unofficial Guide", when discussing YC and BC, makes the sweeping statement "Avoid standard rooms."

YC veterans, is that true? Are the YC standard rooms so bad that it's essential to pay $79 more per night for a water view room? What's so bad about them? They can't ALL over look a dumpster.

I really don't mean this sarcastically. I posed this question to myself when deciding what level of room to book. (And I've never stayed at a Disney resort...)

How often are you going to be looking off of your balcony?

If it's that important to you, pay the money. If it's not, don't pay it! :)

In the end, I decided it wasn't that important to us, and we booked standard view! (At the Beach Club, but it's the same basic principle! :) )

Last year we stayed at YC in a standard room. Our room was on the side of the building near the parking lot, but the parking lot(from our view, at least) was totally obscured by a large mass of trees. It was very relaxing to sit out on the balcony and enjoy our "woods" view. :)

haven't stayed at yc yet. just returned from bw and bc. balcony/nice view is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO ME. i spend TONS of time just sitting, drinking coffee (early am), reading, relaxing. but i'm older, and i travel alone. if i'm not going to spend much time in the room, i book cheaper accomodations, but even then i'm hoping for a nice view (POP dec have requested lake view, standard). in fact, my stays have become sorta divided between 'resort' stays and 'park' stays. i feel i must have a nice view (and sometimes try to get the best standard view available) when my trip involves lots of resort time. and regardless of what resort or view i have, i like a room with privacy and quiet.

Agree w/ Snacky for the most part. I would not pay for an upgraded view at BC/YC...for the most part I think you would end up with noise from the pool! I did not like the first view and was changed no problem as I said before...I have never paid for an upgraded view at WDW EXCEPT for AKL......the view does make a difference. But not at BC/YC! Unless you were like one of the other posters who spends a lot of time at the resort... When I go to WDW...it is for the parks..the hotel is secondary at best. If I was going for a view, a balcony and a place to relax it would be to an island!

Be sure to ask for an upgrade at check-in if booking a standard view (sweetly)(but don't get a pool view-noisy!).

We received a wonderful upgrade but we didn't use the balcony as much as we should have. If you have to have a good view, book the more expensive room. If you really don't care, book the standard room.

As stated above, if you get to your room and it just doesn't meet your standards, definitely call the front desk and ask to be relocated. After all, you've spent a lot of money for the privilege of staying on-site and if they have other rooms available they will almost always relocate you. And, if they can't relocate you right away, they might be able to do so the next day. :wave:

We've booked a standard view at the YC three times. Once were upgraded and had an Epcot view. Once we had a garden view that was really nice. The other time we overlooked the front entrance and could see cars.

I like having a nice view but wouldn't pay that much extra unless it was a romantic trip. We travel in the summer with kids and just don't use the balcony much.

First of all let me say l LOVE this resort!!!!! So does my husband.

The first time we stayed there we got a "parking lot" view but to be honest there were trees in the way and we really didn't care as it was our first trip to WDW together and his first ever!

The second time I knew a little bit more about what to do and I just faxed in a room request and asked for a "nice View" and we got one overlooking the wedding gazebo which was nice!

WDWO

I have been to YC several times and have stayed in Standard, Garden View, Lagoon View, and Concierge Lagoon View. My favorite would have to be the concierge Lagoon View/Lagoon View. Since I have been to Disney more than 14 times we do take advantage of what the hotels have to offer. So at night when the fireworks from Epcot are about to happen we either order dessert and a bottle of wine from room service or if in conceirge we go to the lounge and get this, and then we sit on the balcony and watch the Illuminations Fireworks go off just about every single night. This actually has become sort of a tradition for us. We cant see the ball let me note but we have seen it soooo many times that the fireworks are all that is needed to end our night, with no crowd I might add. It may be a few more $$ extra but to me soooo worth it.
In the morning it is so nice to open the window and watch everyone walking around the board walk ect. If a garden view/gazebo is available this is another great spot. I have stayed twice in one of these rooms. Once during my Disney wedding and another time during May and there was a wedding being held right at the YC Gazebo so we were able to watch it. It was really nice. If you are not going to take advange of the room a Stand room would do fine. You are going to love the location. Walk to Epcot, MGM and minutes from the other parks as well as all the happenings over at the Board walk.

For me and our family it really depends on if you will use the view or not. We have gone both ways, sometimes taking the view and spending the money and sometimes not. Depends on many things like will you use the view, will you spend that much time in the room. My general rule is if you will spend time at the resort and the room the view is very nice if you can afford it.

That's my biggest beef with the unofficial guide, at least as far as the WDW resort section goes. The author spends more time talking about which rooms are good, and which aren't, even for the moderates where you don't even have a balcony. I couldn't care less about my view and would never pay extra for one. I'm not one who spends much time sitting on the balcony or gazing out the window. I have yet to stay at the YC and would be happy at any room there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter