Avis Preferred

lush

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

Anyone have any experience of the Avis Preferred service? How does it work? Our flydrive with BA includes a rental with Avis and I get a free extra driver. I've signed up for preferred but was wondering if anyone could advise how it works the first time? Do you have to go to a desk? What exactly is the benefit of using the service? If we can go straight to a garage to pick out a car, where do we add my husbands licence details to the booking?

Thanks for any help!

Edited to add: Also, are the cars at the terminal or do you have to get a bus out to collect your actual car? Not sure I can face the thought of a bus ride with all the luggage and the girls after getting through the flight! Much prefer to just get in a car and drive off!!

Edited to add: Also, are the cars at the terminal or do you have to get a bus out to collect your actual car?

can't answer the first question, but I can answer this one

the parking garage is just across the road from the terminal.

you need to get one level down from the bagage claim, you'll find the rental agencies counters (if you need to go through there) then just exit the terminal, cross a one way road, and you're inside the garage

follow the arrows to Avis (you might walk a couple hundred yards to the Avis lot

Firstly, make sure you have linked your Avis preferred number to you booking - if you call BA they will do this. You should be able to see your booking on your preferred account on the Avid site.

Theoretically, on arrival you go across to the garage (Avis are upstairs so you need to use the esculator or lift) and your name will be on the board with your allocated car. Walk to the car, load up and drive to the exit. Hand over licence and then print your agreement (which you need to check) and off you go.

However our name wasn't on the board but they have a counter there so he just brought up our reservation and allocated our car.

Really please with the car and service and would use them again if the price was right and would possibly pay a little extra.

We also use Avis preferred and its been hit or miss as to it actually working! I wouldn't go to the office at all... go straight to the parking garage. Your name hopefully should be on the board thing telling you where your car is - you go to the space and off you go.

On the couple of occasions it didn't work quite right for us, we did not go back to the office but went to the avis preferred booth in or near the garage and they sorted it all out for us.

I'm almost sure being avis preferred you get a one category upgrade too.

I suspect the times when it has not gone smoothly have been times when we booked avis through a third party - our bank travel agent, or as part of a package. So don't expect it to go as smooth as hoped. We always book directly through Avis now and ask them for their best offer etc. This has proven to be the best way to get out of there quickly!

Three weeks today.... three weeks today! :dance3:

Thanks everyone for your replies, you've all been a great help! :thumbsup2

I'm VERY happy I can just walk straight to the garage. :cool1: I think I'll get on to BA today to get my Avis number added to the booking. Then maybe give Avis a ring nearer the time to confirm they have my booking. I also like the sound of not having to stand at a car hire desk trying to convince the clerk I don't want any extras. :lmao: Also delighted to hear the good reviews! Especially as the ones for BA have been less than stellar lately... :scared1:

Love these boards, a fountain of knowledge!

Snap! We're flying BA too same dates

Are you flying from Gatwick too?

If so, I'll be the one trying to wrangle two toddler girls and a husband as well as all their crap. You won't be able to miss us! ;) Hopefully we won't disturb you too much! :eek:

lush said:
Are you flying from Gatwick too?

If so, I'll be the one trying to wrangle two toddler girls and a husband as well as all their crap. You won't be able to miss us! ;) Hopefully we won't disturb you too much! :eek:

Yes we are, on the earlier BA flight.

Don't worry, we'll have the over excited 2 and 4 year olds in tow on their first trip to Disney world America!

Yes we are, on the earlier BA flight.

Don't worry, we'll have the over excited 2 and 4 year olds in tow on their first trip to Disney world America!

Snap, we're on the 11.20am flight. Well I don't feel so bad then! My girls will be almost 2 and 4 and in a similar state of hysteria. First trip here too. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter