• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

average time to walk a 5k-updated 2-8-09

flyingcat2003

DIS Veteran
Me and my husband are planning on walking our fist 5k next week. What is an average time to complete the race?

Depending on your pace, you can do a 5k in less than 45 minutes pretty easily walking. That would keep you at about a 15 mpm pace or a little lower.

Bryan

Thanks, we are a little slower than that. We average around 50 mins. We have just started to get into walking/running around the first of the year. I hope we can break the 45 min. mark soon.

If you are just starting out and keeping it under an hour, you are doing really well. Once you get your first done with, you might want to work on a little bit of speed work though. Just go to a local track and try to walk faster for the straight away than you had been. You know. Do some power walking or maybe a slight jog. Not knowing any of personal information, I don't want to presume too much. But I can tell you that 50 minutes is just a touch over the 15 minute mile pace that Disney wants for the 5k that they have every year.

Keep it up!!
Bryan

5K walker-friendly races are a great way to challenge yourself, increase your pace, and keep track of your improvement! Great job. Let us know how your first 5K goes--and take pictures! :thumbsup2

My first 5k was about the speed you are. After that I was hooked and have been going at all the fun. Hope you enjoy your event. Do take your camera and have fun! Let us know how you enjoyed this first event.

I only walked one and didn't time it. But I'd guess it was an hour to hour and half. Slow but I was pushing a stroller. I really should have timed it but never even thought about it it was with a friend who raises money for autism every year.

Thanks everyone, the race is Feb.7 I'm trying really hard to break the 50 min. mark for the race. Thanks for all of the support.

Was today the day for your 5k? How did you do? Most importantly, did you have fun????

Ooops! I just saw on the previous post that the race is February 7th so you have another 2 weeks to prepare. Please let us know how you are doing.

Thanks!
Bryan

Hey guys, Well this week has been hard. I kind of fell off the walking/running wagon. I don't know what happened. It gets so easy to just sit on the couch and watch tv. I know that sounds so bad but my will power just left me this week. Have no fear we got back in the groove yesterday and plan on walking/running up to the date of the 5k. Thanks for all of the support. I will make sure I keep you guys informed. I almost forgot we are trying to find and run in a 5k every month. We are hoping this keeps us motivated.

Hi Everyone. We are proud to let you know that completed our first 5K and didn't die! My husband finished in 50.47 and I finished in 50.38. Our 13 year old son finshed in 38.12. We all had a wonderful time and plan on participating in a 5k every month. I want to thank all of you for your encouragement.:banana: :cool1:

5k22009167.jpg

Fantastic job!!! And kudos on getting your son to participate as well. :banana: That's makes it even more special!!!

That's great news and a good time, too! I love that you have another 5K planned and want to beat your own record. It's addicting, isn't it? :goodvibes Congrats to you, your DH, and your DS! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter