• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Average monthly utility costs?

Boston metro area, 750 sq ft home, gas baseboard heat, window unit ACs when necessary, 5 people so tons of laundry and dishes...

Gas...summer low of $15, winter high of $160
Electric...summer high of $150, winter low of $60
Water, sewer, and trash/recycle pickup...approx $50 EACH per month.

Ontario, Canada. 3200 sq ft home.

Water/Sewer $280 every third month
Gas (heat and hot water) $65 per month year round (equal billing)
Electric- about $180 a month but it's been a huge government scandal in our province and they've just started lowering the prices to appease people so my last bill was about $130.

East Tennessee
3450 sq ft. home (3 story - 3 A/C units)
Gas - 85
Electric - 150
Water - 55 (includes sewer which is 60% of bill)
Trash - 51 every quarter

For gas / electric that is what I budget every month and it seems to cover the highs / lows to average out to that monthly.

Acworth Ga (about 30 miles north of Atlanta) 1900 sf house
Electric (total guess as my wife pays it) average around $115.00 in winter and $200.00ish in the summer. (she also works for the local EMC and doesn't get discount either as someone else mentioned earlier)
Gas in summer around $30.00 and in winter I would say average is about $75.00
Water runs between $16.00 and $25.00 a month ( we are on septic)
Trash/ recycle about $200.00 a year

Buffalo NY suburb, 2100 sq ft, family of 5 (plus a dog, and 4 ducks who get a heated winter coop)

Natural Gas - Winter high of $170 and summer low of $10 (or $0!)
Electric - Winter low of $45 and summer high of $130 (central AC used in July and August)
Water - Quarterly (4x) - $45 - $50

Last edited:
Many have mentioned that prices will vary depending on location (which is certainly true), but there can also be a significant difference in usage depending on your family size and habits. So, while receiving averages will give you some idea, your actual usage may be much more or less.

My bills are relatively low because we are fairly conservative about energy usage. (We receive mailings from our electric company often that have charts listing average home, energy efficient home, and your home. Ours is often half of the "energy efficient" home.) I was a bit worried when we were moving to NC because I looked up averages for summer electric bills in our area and they are over $300 (which seems accurate from people I know). We have a 2900sqft home with 5 people but our highest bill has only been $145. We were also pleasantly surprised with water/sewer. We only use a fraction of the amount the calculators predicted for our family size. (I had no idea how many gallons of water we use because we had a well in our previous home)

Our monthly amounts are:
Electric-- $40-50 without AC, three months over $100 in the summer
Gas-- $17 without heat, high of $140 in the winter
Water/sewer-- $40

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter