Avatar experience coming to Disneyland

The planners (I don’t think they should be called Imagineers at this point because they don’t seem to be using much imagination) just seem to jump on the latest bandwagon or IP regardless of how well known or well received it has been. Onward…Coco…Encanto…these movies came and went without much notice, certainly not “classic Disney “. Avatar? Yes, beautiful movie but I can’t tell you what it was about. We certainly didn’t need a sequel.

In days of yore, Imagineers came up with original AND magical ideas not based on Disney IP. Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Soarin’, Small World…all creative endeavors from their imagination.

I also agree that we don’t need DL and WDW to mirror each other. We need to keep a lot of the things that make DL unique (like TSI). Is it corny? Maybe to some. But I’ve yet to see a kid who didn’t love going through the caves, running across the barrels, and all the other ways to burn off a bunch of energy. When my son was young, he and my DH would spend an hour there while I went shopping! Fun times.

Instead of some Avatar distraction, how about we get back to finishing Avengers Campus and give us that big E-ticket attraction we were promised there?

Onward…Coco…Encanto…these movies came and went without much notice, certainly not “classic Disney “. Avatar? Yes, beautiful movie but I can’t tell you what it was about. We certainly didn’t need a sequel.

Say what now? Onward, I will grant you that one. But Coco? Encanto? Came and went without much notice? Both were hugely successful, critically acclaimed, loved by audiences and won Academy Awards. Encanto had a song that was a HUMONGOUS hit as well. (And for Encanto to be as popular as it was without ever playing in a theatre says something.) The original Avatar was one of the biggest movies of all time (and was the biggest for several years), so yeah, of course they're gonna make a sequel to a franchise that makes literal billions.

You don't have to like all of these movies. (I'm no Avatar fan, myself.) But you can't pretend that they aren't successful or loved.

edit bc I didn't mean to come off as rude... I was just kinda taken aback... there are reasons why Disney uses these IPs for things, because they ARE popular. you don't have to like them, not everything has to be for everybody, but it's not like they're flogging franchises that are flops over and over. (i mean, there's a good reason why the Lightyear stuff came and went quickly last year, because so did the movie... lol.)

Last edited:
The planners (I don’t think they should be called Imagineers at this point because they don’t seem to be using much imagination) just seem to jump on the latest bandwagon or IP regardless of how well known or well received it has been. Onward…Coco…Encanto…these movies came and went without much notice, certainly not “classic Disney “. Avatar? Yes, beautiful movie but I can’t tell you what it was about. We certainly didn’t need a sequel.

In days of yore, Imagineers came up with original AND magical ideas not based on Disney IP. Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Soarin’, Small World…all creative endeavors from their imagination.

I also agree that we don’t need DL and WDW to mirror each other. We need to keep a lot of the things that make DL unique (like TSI). Is it corny? Maybe to some. But I’ve yet to see a kid who didn’t love going through the caves, running across the barrels, and all the other ways to burn off a bunch of energy. When my son was young, he and my DH would spend an hour there while I went shopping! Fun times.

Instead of some Avatar distraction, how about we get back to finishing Avengers Campus and give us that big E-ticket attraction we were promised there?
Just because you didn't notice them or wanted a sequel doesn't mean others didn't. Sometimes it's hard to realize it but not everything Disney makes is for you (general you), I would honestly argue most are not for us adults. :confused3

Pirates, HM and SM were all made when Walt Disney was alive, it's been literal decades. And back then they didn't have as many original properties to pull from. It's ludicrous to keep bringing them up imo because nothing that they have made in the last 20 years has been IP less... and that's pretty much my whole life.

This whole thread panicking is super funny, cause it will most likely be a tiny temporary thing and some folks are acting like they will replace the castle with the avatar tree.

I know that the new Avatar movie has been 'boffo at the box office', but really, how long is the hype going to last? Avatar doesn't have the star power or fan base of, say, a Star Wars or a Harry Potter.

I'm assuming it's some kind of exhibit. But by the time they get whatever this is 'installed' at DL the hype will probably be gone and guests will probably be a bit puzzled as to why it's there.

Unless it's FoP. But it's not.

I know that the new Avatar movie has been 'boffo at the box office', but really, how long is the hype going to last? Avatar doesn't have the star power or fan base of, say, a Star Wars or a Harry Potter.

I'm assuming it's some kind of exhibit. But by the time they get whatever this is 'installed' at DL the hype will probably be gone and guests will probably be a bit puzzled as to why it's there.

Unless it's FoP. But it's not.
They're releasing 2-3 more Avatar movies. Avatar 3 comes out in 2024. The hype will keep being there.

They're releasing 2-3 more Avatar movies. Avatar 3 comes out in 2024. The hype will keep being there.
Doh! 🤷🏼‍♀️ Did not know that.

Does it have a fan base like SW or HP? I mean like an Avatar 'canon' that's debated and argued about, huge fan groups, etc? I admit I'm not 'in the loop' re SciFi or Fantasy stuff, but I can't say I've heard much about that.

Does it have a fan base like SW or HP? I mean like an Avatar 'canon' that's debated and argued about, huge fan groups, etc? I admit I'm not 'in the loop' re SciFi or Fantasy stuff, but I can't say I've heard much about that.
That is an interesting question! I don’t know the answer. I did love the original Avatar movie even though it felt a little over-the-top preachy. I get the message, I don’t need to be hit over the head with a sledge hammer though.

I want to see the new one but my kids can’t watch a three-hour movie in the theater and I’m not so sure I can either. 😆 Gonna have to wait until it comes to Disney+ so I can utilize pause for potty and food breaks!

Edited to add: I’m a HUGE fan of Star Wars and Harry Potter. I would happily watch three hours of either franchise in the theater and sign me up on opening day!

Avatar is actually more popular in International markets, but clearly is still popular here. It doesn't quite have the fanbase of a Star Wars and such, but it only had one movie. Actually, I think the attractions as Animal Kingdom helped keep it alive, an now with a new series of films, I think it will generate a pretty decent fan base. There are comics and other media for it now too, as well as a AAA video game on the way, so all that will contribute. Will it ever be Star Wars? Probably not, but I think it's a healthy franchise at this point.

Avatar doesn't have a huge fandom like Star Wars or the MCU, but to me, that's a GOOD thing. I loved the first movie as well as the second. Am I clamoring to read Avatar books like I did with Star Wars? No. But I also haven't enjoyed all of the Star Wars content lately, and feel like they rushed to release too many movies. No one can ever accuse James Cameron of rushing. :D

I saw the first Avatar in theaters and have never watched it again, but Disney did such a wonderful job with that land and those rides that I don't think it needs a fandom. I know some people hate on Na'vi River Journey but my toddler LOVES it! I'm sure they are adding this experience to help create a fandom since they have 3 more movies coming out.

Apparently, there is already something called The Avatar Experience in Singapore. It looks like a sort of walk thru sensory experience with some plants, figures, and animatronics. They could try to fit this in somewhere at the parks (fantasyland theatre, tomorrowland, stage 12 in DCA)? I just don't know what the draw for something like that would be....

Avatar is actually more popular in International markets, but clearly is still popular here. It doesn't quite have the fanbase of a Star Wars and such, but it only had one movie. Actually, I think the attractions as Animal Kingdom helped keep it alive, an now with a new series of films, I think it will generate a pretty decent fan base. There are comics and other media for it now too, as well as a AAA video game on the way, so all that will contribute. Will it ever be Star Wars? Probably not, but I think it's a healthy franchise at this point.

Avatar doesn't have a huge fandom like Star Wars or the MCU, but to me, that's a GOOD thing. I loved the first movie as well as the second. Am I clamoring to read Avatar books like I did with Star Wars? No. But I also haven't enjoyed all of the Star Wars content lately, and feel like they rushed to release too many movies. No one can ever accuse James Cameron of rushing. :D

Thanks for the info.

Apparently, there is already something called The Avatar Experience in Singapore. It looks like a sort of walk thru sensory experience with some plants, figures, and animatronics. They could try to fit this in somewhere at the parks (fantasyland theatre, tomorrowland, stage 12 in DCA)? I just don't know what the draw for something like that would be....

This (or a version of it) is what I'm thinking is coming to DL. No idea how big the exhibit in Shanghai is, but I'm sure they can tailor it to fit in the old CoP building.

I don't know what the draw would be either. It reminds me of those traveling animatronic dinosaur exhibits...looks cheesy and cheap, IMO.

If it's something like this, they are gonna have to advertise the HECK out of it to generate any interest. It could be popular in DtD, but where is the return on investment with that if people can see it without a park admission. If they try to charge to enter it, that will totally backfire. I can't imagine people paying money to see something like this.

Is the one in Shanghai free to enter? Isn't it in their version of Downtown Disney?

This (or a version of it) is what I'm thinking is coming to DL. No idea how big the exhibit in Shanghai is, but I'm sure they can tailor it to fit in the old CoP building.

I imagine it would go in that large Soundstage in DCA if they put it inside the parks.

Avatar is actually more popular in International markets, but clearly is still popular here. It doesn't quite have the fanbase of a Star Wars and such, but it only had one movie.
Star Wars was a phenomon after the first movie. It developed and held onto its following based on that one movie. It only took one movie for Star Wars to develop its passionate devoted fanbase. Avatar had its moment, and then that was it, until Disney decided to do Avatarland instead of Beastly Kingdom.

Star Wars was a phenomon after the first movie. It developed and held onto its following based on that one movie. It only took one movie for Star Wars to develop its passionate devoted fanbase. Avatar had its moment, and then that was it, until Disney decided to do Avatarland instead of Beastly Kingdom.

And how does that affect the fact that there is in fact a fanbase now?

I don't know what the draw would be either. It reminds me of those traveling animatronic dinosaur exhibits...looks cheesy and cheap, IMO.

If it's something like this, they are gonna have to advertise the HECK out of it to generate any interest. It could be popular in DtD, but where is the return on investment with that if people can see it without a park admission. If they try to charge to enter it, that will totally backfire. I can't imagine people paying money to see something like this.

Is the one in Shanghai free to enter? Isn't it in their version of Downtown Disney?
It is actually in Singapore, which doesn't currently have any Disney Brand parks. It looks to be located in a modern greenhouse, and yes there is an admission fee. I'm not sure how much demand for something like this there would be. I don't see it making any kind of driver of attendance like what they did at AK. Who knows if this is the direction this "experience" is going... I just thought it was interesting that he used that word, and there is something already called The Avatar Experience overseas.

It is actually in Singapore, which doesn't currently have any Disney Brand parks. It looks to be located in a modern greenhouse, and yes there is an admission fee. I'm not sure how much demand for something like this there would be. I don't see it making any kind of driver of attendance like what they did at AK. Who knows if this is the direction this "experience" is going... I just thought it was interesting that he used that word, and there is something already called The Avatar Experience overseas.

My bad, I read as Shanghai.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter