Availability reality at non home resort 7 months out

Also since our travel period is August and at BLT we would stay at a 1-bedroom LAKEVIEW since my wife loved it so much she does not want to reserve a standard room is my thought correct that even with all we liked about BLT buying there might not be necessary?

We purchased SSR in 2017. We have done about 12 stays since then. We have only ever stayed at SSR once and that was by our own choice. We have always either had our waitlist come through or changed at the 7 month window. We have had stays at AKL, BWV, CCV, OKW, BRV and upcoming BLT. I just book home at 11 and either switch out at 7 or put in a waitlist. Anyway SSR is a very nice resort so don't believe the hype about the resort of last resort. Thats just bs.

Last edited:

We just got back from our first trip and are planning for next year.

We enjoyed BLT and plan to stay again. We are extending our stay from a week to 8-10 days and also staying at a second resort.

Following some previous recommendations I would book 2 reservations at SSR with the idea that one would be modified at 7 months.

I would have to borrow from my August 2025 points unless I purchase a second contract by then which is unlikely.
Do I have that process correct?

That is correct. Book it as a split stay to start so you can easily modify at 7 months.

In terms of home resort advantage? That’s really up to you and how important it is if you can’t get BLT, even LV for all the days you want.

Your travel times and being a 1 bedroom make it highly likely it won’t be a problem. But who knows how things will change as more resorts come online and the 2042 resorts expire….

We own where we want to stay because we would not be happy elsewhere. But, if one is okay with lots of options, even if one is the top choice, then SAPs can make sense!

Last edited:

Dont take comments like that one from AstroBlasters to serously. Some people can't resist throwing shade on others. Everyone's situation is different. Enjoy your DVC. I know I have.
It’s not shade. I have read volumes of comments from people who buy into SSR and then are very frustrated when they can’t get the resort they actually want to stay at when they travel OR don’t want to constantly have to change hotels via “split stays”. Especially if they are looking at studios, which tend to go first.

In addition, past performance is no indication of future outcomes. I have read about how availability has only gotten worse in recent years as there are more points in the system every year to compete with AND members buying points specifically to rent out and book the most desirable rooms like ninjas at the 7m mark.

So, for someone who does not already own points I stand by my statement that most people should buy where they would be happy to stay. If they don’t care where they stay or are OK piecing together a stay where they change hotels or locations during the stay… then go with what is the most economical SAPs.

It’s not shade. I have read volumes of comments from people who buy into SSR and then are very frustrated when they can’t get the resort they actually want to stay at when they travel OR don’t want to constantly have to change hotels via “split stays”. Especially if they are looking at studios, which tend to go first.

In addition, past performance is no indication of future outcomes. I have read about how availability has only gotten worse in recent years as there are more points in the system every year to compete with AND members buying points specifically to rent out and book the most desirable rooms like ninjas at the 7m mark.

So, for someone who does not already own points I stand by my statement that most people should buy where they would be happy to stay. If they don’t care where they stay or are OK piecing together a stay where they change hotels or locations during the stay… then go with what is the most economical SAPs.
I am generally happy with most everything. I am easy to please.

I definitely want to try a split stay to see if we like doing that so that will be the plan for our next trip.

My wife and daughter spent two evenings at Disney Springs so they requested our next trip include half our days at SSR.

I thought they might want Boardwalk but they said they were okay just to visit they Boardwalk area and not stay there.

It is is all a work in progress to see what we like. Luckily as we experience different resorts we always have the ability to change if needed.

We are happy SSR members since 2014 and use our SAP in a lot of places. My experience is similar to Louis Morell, SSR does not limit you resort experience. We book CCV for Christmas week 7 months out. We like staying at a variety of resorts and DVC has something for everyone.

Also since our travel period is August and at BLT we would stay at a 1-bedroom LAKEVIEW since my wife loved it so much she does not want to reserve a standard room is my thought correct that even with all we liked about BLT buying there might not be necessary?
I’d expect Lakeview to remain tradable. BLT is very popular choice for 1BR between extra living space and 2 bathrooms so standard gets spotty even at 8 and 9 month marks for hot point months like Dec and May, but Lakeview 1BR should stay smooth sailing at 7 months.

D2B8F62E-0324-4117-B756-68F52D22C8B3.jpeg
1BRs are usually just the size of two studios, and 2 to 2.5 times the point usage. BLT is a sweet deal!

All DVC owners have to deal with the 7 month shuffle unless they plan sticking with home resort(s) year after year. I think important to keep in mind since families’ preferences often change, so where they started out becomes less crucial. It’s not a bad idea to enter DVC in stages. Get in at a resort and cost that’s comfortable, get the experience to decide ultimately where and how many points best fit your unique travel.

I’d expect Lakeview to remain tradable. BLT is very popular choice for 1BR between extra living space and 2 bathrooms so standard gets spotty even at 8 and 9 month marks for hot point months like Dec and May, but Lakeview 1BR should stay smooth sailing at 7 months.

View attachment 787992
1BRs are usually just the size of two studios, and 2 to 2.5 times the point usage. BLT is a sweet deal!

All DVC owners have to deal with the 7 month shuffle unless they plan sticking with home resort(s) year after year. I think important to keep in mind since families’ preferences often change, so where they started out becomes less crucial. It’s not a bad idea to enter DVC in stages. Get in at a resort and cost that’s comfortable, get the experience to decide ultimately where and how many points best fit your unique travel.
That is my thought I cannot imagine staying at the same resort 20 years in a row

I am generally happy with most everything. I am easy to please.

I definitely want to try a split stay to see if we like doing that so that will be the plan for our next trip.

My wife and daughter spent two evenings at Disney Springs so they requested our next trip include half our days at SSR.

I thought they might want Boardwalk but they said they were okay just to visit they Boardwalk area and not stay there.

It is is all a work in progress to see what we like. Luckily as we experience different resorts we always have the ability to change if needed.
I will throw out that if you like to try different resorts and are somewhat agnostic to where you stay then you can also look at buying direct right now at VGF as they have some pretty good deals. It will cost more than resale SSR, but the dues are lower and you will have more options (RIV, FW, VDH, BCV/BW post 2042 any future properties). The 10% savings on food/merch and potential discounted annual pass can add up over time as well if you get over 150 points.

I will throw out that if you like to try different resorts and are somewhat agnostic to where you stay then you can also look at buying direct right now at VGF as they have some pretty good deals. It will cost more than resale SSR, but the dues are lower and you will have more options (RIV, FW, VDH, BCV/BW post 2042 any future properties). The 10% savings on food/merch and potential discounted annual pass can add up over time as well if you get over 150 points.
That is a good thought. We were over at VGF twice this week and it is a beautiful resort. I have to be honest my entire family was impressed with the resort, but we actually could not see ourselves staying there.

I do see what you are saying about buying 150 to 200 points though.

So what if I want to use this year's points to book next year then I must thank them by March however that's past the 11 months away from my vacation in August from 2024. Is there any way I can use this year's points to book next year 11 months out? I guess I'd have to thank them right away and then once I Bank them I can use them next year 11 months out?. Thank you for your help I'm new to this

So what if I want to use this year's points to book next year then I must thank them by March however that's past the 11 months away from my vacation in August from 2024. Is there any way I can use this year's points to book next year 11 months out? I guess I'd have to thank them right away and then once I Bank them I can use them next year 11 months out?. Thank you for your help I'm new to this

I assume you have an Aug UY? If so, yes, you need to bank them into your Aug 2024 UY first if you want to use them when you book an Aug 2024 trip.

If you think you might want to travel before August, and don’t want to bank first, you can book with the 2024 points to start…as long as you don’t need to borrow.

Once you are positive you will not need the 2023 points, you can bank them and then have MS modify your trip to use the banked points and free up your other.

I assume you have an Aug UY? If so, yes, you need to bank them into your Aug 2024 UY first if you want to use them when you book an Aug 2024 trip.

If you think you might want to travel before August, and don’t want to bank first, you can book with the 2024 points to start…as long as you don’t need to borrow.

Once you are positive you will not need the 2023 points, you can bank them and then have MS modify your trip to use the banked points and free up your other.
Thank you so much for the information

That is a good thought. We were over at VGF twice this week and it is a beautiful resort. I have to be honest my entire family was impressed with the resort, but we actually could not see ourselves staying there.

I do see what you are saying about buying 150 to 200 points though.
Many people look at judging how economical SAPs are by dividing the purchase price by the number of remaining years and then adding in the dues to get a total price per point.

Direct has the advantage of being available at every resort now and in the future.

So, many people are finding VGF direct very attractive now for future proof SAPs.

(Caveat: This is if you are OK staying anywhere. I’m still a buy where you want to stay fan by default).

Thank you so much for the information
Just to go further with this information you can modify the reservation yourself after you've banked the points and then select the same contract, same dates, same room type and it'll automatically utilize the banked points. When you're booking and you get to the part about selecting the contract it'll let you know how many points you have that are banked and how many are from the current use year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter