Autotrain with a wheelchair?

PattnFmly

Dis Veteran
Has anyone taken the autotrain with a wheelchair recently? DBro has CP and is confined to a wheelchair. Usually DMom & DDad drive so they can carry all his gear with them. But DDad is getting older now and the drive is exhausting for them. I suggested we look into the autotrain, :idea: since they could still pack the car with his stuff, but would only have to drive from MA to VA. Does anyone know how the handicapped rooms are? I looked them up on the Amtrack site but was looking for some first-hand experiences. Thanks. princess:

It has been several years since I last took the AutoTrain. If I recall correctly, the accessible rooms are on the lower level and they will serve your meals in the room.

Here is a link to more specific information.

You would probably want to do an overnight stop somewhere in Delaware or Maryland on the way down, since they start accepting cars after 1:00 in the afternoon.

After 911 we took the AutoTrain twice. We've since gone back to flying.

The accomodations are tight. We had the "deluxe" accomodation which consisted of a cabin the width of the train, x 7feet. The couch folds out flat, and there is an upper bunk that fold down. They will deliver your meals to you (When they can fit it in...) which is good because you will not be able to move to the dining car with a wheel chair. There will be a restroom in your car, down the hall. I do no recall if it was HC accessible.

If your alternative is driving....This may be a good way to break up the trip. The train leaves Lorton at 4:00 PM and arives approx 8:30 AM in Sanford FL. Sanford is approx 45 minutes from WDW. Keep in mind it will take from 15 minutes to 2 hours to get your vehicle off the train. (15 minutes on our first trip, and almost 2 hours the second time, for us)

One positive note.....The food on the train was excellent !!! A pleasant surprise.

Good Luck

I've always thought the autotrain sounded fascinating.

The handicapped/wheelchair accessible room is located on the lower level of each sleeper car. There is only one such room on each car, so you need to book early. There is a lower bed and an upper bed. There is room for the wheelchair and each of these rooms has it's own sink and toilet. Your attendant will deliver meals to your room with no problem.

We've done it when my husband had a knee injury and couldn't climb the steps and I was bringing all the food back from the dining car until the steward told me he would have done it for me. It was a nice trip. Best we had on the auto train.

It was nice to have the bathroom in the same room, but some people might be squeamish about using it with others who can hear. We didn't have a problem. There is a curtain to pull around it.

My olny complaint with the auto train trips I've taken is the way the trains were always late for arrival and then late for leaving because we were stuck several times without power on the way and just behind traffic at night.

Thanks everyone! We're still in family discussions..... My DDad will be 77 next year and not only is it a hard drive from MA for him (he seldom will let anyone else drive), but they always take three days to drive due to stopping a lot. We usually fly and meet them in WDW. I thought a nice middle ground would be for us to drive to VA & take the train. Less driving for him, fun train ride for my DS's and DBro for that matter!, and less stress overall for DMom who has to deal with all of us! :rotfl2:

Just returned from WDW last weekend. Took the Auto-train down and back. On our trip down, we were basically on time until right outside of Sanford--had to wait for tracks to be cleared, and unloaded c. 30 minutes late as a result. On the return trip to VA, we actually arrived an hour early. Departure both trips was slightly early/ahead of schedule (because all passengers and vehicles had been successfully loaded). I believe some of the delays that occurred earlier this Springtime were a result of the situation with wildfires in GA/FL. We did see at least one burned out area where fires had advanced right up to the train tracks at some point.

There are wheelchair accessible accomidations not only in sleeper, but also in coach. In both cases, they are located on the lower level... and the staff will bring meals to your car for everyone in the party (since dining is located on the upper level, and one would need to walk from car to car on the moving train in order to get to the dining car). In coach, the wheelchair accessible restroom was just a short distance from the seating area (right next to the coach doors, and just across from the private seating area). Sleeper is probably more comfy, but I wanted to let you know that coach was also available. Special needs passengers also load and unload first, so that you don't have to worry about dealing with lines of other passengers.

Just one note for those looking to take the auto train with their wheel chair lift van. They have a max van height of 88" (7.5'). I have a full size van that is a hair under 96" (8'). Therefore we have to drive from SE PA when we go in the fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter