AutoTrain Fare Sale

Credit Man

<font color=teal>Love the shark reef<br><font colo
We have been looking at AutoTrain fares for our trip this August. The fares were constant until today when the fare droped from $843 to $696 for the 4 of us and our car.

If you are interested in trying the AutoTrain, this may be of benefit to you.

We loved the Auto-train. We took it down in August and had a wonderful time.
Is this fare including the charge for your car also? Is this coach or sleeping compartment?

No sleeping compartment. Just 2 adults and 2 children in coach, including the auto.

I do not know what the deal is, just that the fare went down about $150 from the day before.

Unfortunately the auto train is probably not covered by the H255 code. It's usually not included in any of Amtraks specials, however it wouldn't hurt to try. I suspect it went down because they cut many fares this past week hoping to attract new riders.
The fare does cover quite a decent dinner (complimentary wine, OK) and a continental breakfast. It's great leaving Virgina at 4:00PM arriving in Sanford, Fl the next morning around 8:30. Don't expect to get a wonderful nights sleep but it beats all that driving and you're near all the action upon arrival. If you decide to do it, I would suggest either your own pillows or those travel neck pillows. In August you might be lucky enough to be able to each have a double seat.
Good luck.
ginnie

Actually it is believe it or not. Unfortunately I can't convince my husband to go so quick after my Feb trip !!=)

Thank you so much for this information--I got 2 adults/2 children in coach for $576 this July. That's half the price they were charging when we looked into this our last trip.

Credit Man, I don't know if you booked already or not, but they allowed my friends who booked this morning without the code to cancel without penalty and book with the code. With the code, the tickets are non-refundable.

How many of you have done the trip with kids - in coach. I've read several posts highly recommending getting a family sleeper - but this boosts the price to over $1300 for a family of four with a car.

Is coach really comfortable overnight? For kids 4 & 8?

We have done it 2 years in a row. Our kids are now 10 and 8. They sleep great. My DW and i sleep OK. The kids love it and consider it part of the vacation not just transportation.

I have taken the Auto Train 5 or 6 times...always in coach. My kids were 10 and 13 the first time we did this and they loved it. We had taken the regular train about 3 years earlier and that I cannot recommend. Just as you were finally getting to sleep it stopped at another station with all the bright lights in your eyes. And for us in NJ this was a 22 hour trip.

The Auto Train is wonderful way to go. I like having my own car and not having to worry about how much stuff has to be carried or searched when you fly. I do bring my own pillow and always get a fair amount of rest, if not actual sleep. We do not plan to go to a park on the day of arrival, however, and enjoy the FREE activities we love.

We're thinking about taking the auto-train in March (very reasonable compared to airfare for 4). We would be driving from Pgh & was wondering how the drive to Va. is & if we should maybe drive the night before & stay 1/2 way. Any comments/suggestions?

We drive from NY, down 81 thru Pa, at Hagerstown get on I-70 to I-270 to the Capitol Beltway (I-495) leading into I-95S. Lorton,VA exit is about 6 to 7 miles down 95. We start at about 5:00AM, leaving us plenty of time in case of car trouble or traffic problems. Usually there around noon which is way early. Their Lorton station is quite new and very comfortable. Of course the snack bar is REALLY expensive so consider bringing sandwiches and goodies. Once you get on the train there is complimentary coffee, and usually some snacks.
Don't know how far you'll need to drive so staying over the night before is an option but you'll have a lot of time to kill in the morning.
Have fun.
ginnie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter