Auto Train - Any Comments?

goofygal531

Always planning...
Im now considering taking the Auto Train since I was quoted a fare of $671. The regular train would cost us $587. I was planning on renting a car during our stay (we're going to Tampa for 5 days before WDW) and the car is $224 (SUV). So, the Auto Train will save me about $140. I'm wondering if it's worth it.

How long is the wait to get your car on and off the train? What is the whole experience at the station like?

I know you get two meals included in the price, but if the whole ordeal is frustrating and time consuming I know my husband will just yell at me and say you did all this to save $140!!!:) (He has the mentality that it's a vacation, it's ONLY $140 - no big deal.) But I'm trying to cut corners.

Also, is it a nicer train than the regular ones? I don't know if I should take the regular train or the Auto train? Does anyone have any pros and cons to share (besides the obvious "you have your car with you).

Thank you so much!

I love the AutoTrain! I would personally take the Auto Train over the regular Amtrak trains but I'm sure everyone has their own opinions on this. I love being able to have my own car with me. You can just pack it up before you leave and don't have to worry about taking bags, etc. out until you arrive at your resort. You don't have to worry about limited luggage space you may have on the train. With the auto train, you can bring as much as you can fit in the car. The wait time for the car can be very quick, or it may take up to an hour. It depends on where your car is loaded on the train. They begin unloading cars as soon as they are at the station. By the time you make your way to the car pick up area, they are already pulling cars around. The wait time never seems too terrible. These people move VERY quickly. The station experience is not bad at all. Another plus with the Autotrain is that you are not stopping to pick up additional passengers along the way. You get on in Lorton and you don't stop till you get to Sanford, Fl. With the exception of a stop in the middle of the night to change crew and such. As long as you don't mind the drive from NY to the Lorton station and back, it might be worth it for you to save the extra money. We are about 45 minutes outside of NY and it takes up approx. 3 1/2 hours to arrive in Lorton (with no traffic).

How long is the wait to get your car on and off the train? What is the whole experience at the station like?

You check your car in and they assign you a number and they videotape your car.

I ended up near the end once took me about 45 min.

I know you get two meals included in the price, but if the whole ordeal is frustrating and time consuming I know my husband will just yell at me and say you did all this to save $140!!!

Actually its less time consuming since the Autotrain doesn't stop along the way.

Also, is it a nicer train than the regular ones? I don't know if I should take the regular train or the Auto train? Does anyone have any pros and cons to share (besides the obvious "you have your car with you).

Pros
You can see a movie on the train
You get dinner and continental breakfast

Cons
You have to drive to Virginia

Also if you are doing coach you can request lower level reserved seating.

Lower lever is mostly used by elderly - anyone can request to sit there.
it has less seats the staff doesn't travel through there.

On my way home from FL last October my husband and I had the whole car to ourselves.

Cheryl

We've done the Auto Train the last three years and I have really enjoyed spending the time with my kids and not driving. It's real relaxing and the seats are really wide, wider than 1st class in a plane. You don't do too much sleeping because the train really moves at night. I stay up late with my older son to see "South of The Border." The dining car is really enjoyable and interesting. The staff is really friendly. The only negative is that the later it gets in the night the bathrooms start to get messier. But I kind of learn to deal with it because in the morning you'll be 30 minutes from Disneyworld....with your own car and not the hassels of renting from the airport, etc. Hope this helps.

We've only been on the train once. I liked it but I certainly didn't get any sleep. So I learned one thing, I would never book the family sleeper car again. It's on the lower level and at the end of the compartment and is way too noisy for me. The next time I'd spend the extra money and get two upper level bedrooms. I'm sure it will be a much more relaxing experience. My daughter had no trouble sleeping however and that was really all that counted. We fully enjoyed the meals, the movie and the whole experience of it. The longest that we waited for our car was about 45 minutes. The other time it was one of the first ones off. I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as far as what cars get off first. We were always very early arrivals to check-in for the train and you would probably reason that the later arrivals might get their cars off first, but that isn't so. It's just luck of the draw (and in what order they happened to put your car compartment on the train at the beginning)

I just posted on another thread ... We have taken the Autotrain many times, & it was fine. However, last summer we took it round trip & it was not fine. The train rocked back & forth constantly, so much so that it felt like the train was going to jump the track. Not many people got much sleep on either leg of that trip. After that we said it would be awhile before we take it again. Some friends took it northbound in October & had a similar ride :( . We prefer to drive :).

The autotrain for us has been a most pleasurable way to travel. We live in Northern NJ (Bergen County) and the drive to Lorton, VA is about 5 hours for us (4 1/2 actual driving with 2 pit stops along the way). We left on a Saturday around 7AM and arrived at the Autotrain station about noon. We were concerned that we'd hit the dreaded Saturday NJ shore traffic along the way, but we didn't - probably because we took the NJ Turnpike. It was completely enjoyable, starting with our drive down - getting there was half the fun!

Last July there were 4 of us traveling - Myself, husband, teen daughter and friend (both 15).
We travelled coach and there was enough room for us to spread out and have a double seat each. We were in a car with mostly adults and teens. The girls had a great time.
There was another mom there with 4 teens - she has travelled by autotrain for many years and had tried all the different types of sleeping car accomodations and her preference was to travel coach - and cost was least motivating factor. Sleep wise - she said she had just as restful sleeps in coach as she did in the most restful nights she spent in a sleeper. Food wise -her verdict was that the food presentation in first class was a little nicer, but the quality and certainly the quantity was not noticeably better than that in coach. Diversion wise - it was definitely much better in coach. She especially emphasized that - once the children were over 6 years old they were better behaved and were better travelers in coach since there was more room to move around and more to see.

Our girls planned to "stay up all night" - they didn't want to miss anything. For the most part, they did and planned to do it again on the trip back. My husband slept some on the way down because he was sure he wouldn't sleep at all (for the record, he sleeps very little as it is and always has problems sleeping in any bed that's not his own - it takes him a few nights in a hotel to get used to a bed before he gets a restful nights sleep). I probably slept the most and was more rested than I thought I'd be. The rocking of the train was actually helpful. I think your mindset has a lot to do with how much rest you get.

We met many interesting people on the train and had some great conversations. The girls both amused themselves and met others their age and spent some time talking with the others and observing the onboard "living coach theater" (and I don't mean the movie in the lounge car!. The ability to get up, walk around and be a part of the group made the short trip quite pleasurable. We figured that our time on the train was only 16 hours - with only a few that were really conventional "sleeping" hours. We never even considered a sleeper car and after talking to some of the coach passengers on the train who had travelled both in sleepers and coach and switched to coach we're happy that we didn't spend the extra money to do so.
We're going back by autotrain in August. Instead of a friend for my daughter, my sister will be joining us - we'll be going coach again.

The cost for the 4 of us - all adult fares - is a few hundred dollars less (a very substantial saving!) than 4 air fares and car rental for 12 days. It is definitely a very relaxing and comfortable way to travel. We've done the drive once (never again, even if we were to hire a driver!) and we always took airlines previous to last July, but even before September 11, air travel hassles were getting on my nerves. For the forseeable future, the autotrain will be our preferred mode of travel.

cherylp3 ... have you ever stayed in the lower level car? We've traveled a few times on the Auto Train and are again traveling in May (coach). I was just wondering if it would be less crowded on the lower level. The train doesn't seem to be sold out at this time, but just wondering. More space would be great, especially if staff doesn't walk through.

Thanks for your thoughts!

What time do they start loading on the cars? Traveling from NYC, I estimate about 4 hours to Lorton, VA. We're leaving on a Wednesday, any road tips or suggestions for driving to the Lorton Station?

Appreciate all your help!

Yes I have sat on the lower level.
When I went in October,
On the way down to Sanford the rest of the seats were taken on my way back to Virginia my husband and I had the car to ourselves.

When in May are you going? I'm going in May too!!

Also they start loading cars at 11:30 AM
oversized vehicles and motorcycles must arrive by 2pm
Cars must arrive by 3pm

Cheryl

Thanks! Amtrak told me they started loading cars at 2pm but that didn't sound right since they don't accept cars after 3pm. How can they get them all on in an hour??

11:30 sounds right to me!!

Thanks!

cherylp3 ... we're going on 5/3. We're sailing on the 5/5 Wonder.

Is there much difference between upper level vs. lower level seating?

Thanks!

I've never sat in the upper level so I can't tell you if there is a difference in the seats.

Cheryl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter