• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Autistic grandchild

Sadie,

I go to a site for Asperger's, but I think there are links to other sites that can help you out.

www.aspergersyndrome.org has links to the dephi site for the forums. Take a look at the O.A.S.I.S page...

Suzanne

http://www.kitchencollection.com/tempproducts.cfm?sku=00821588&catname=As Seen On TV

This thing is a little quirky to get to turn off somethimes when it isn't in use but it works well when you want it too. WE had a few nights in our room that it would chirp at 2am LOL.
You clip one part of it to yourself and the other part to your child. When they wandeer away the thing beeps on the adults end. It also has a panic button which my son would press non stop while waiting online. It is supposed to be the kids way of telling you they are in trouble. BUT our son just played with that feauture which I guess is good since he liked to wear it.

This link above is where it is the cheapest.

Carrieberry said:
.....Now if i could just think of some great ideas to keep him buisy during the 4 hour plane ride.........!

GameBoyAdvance!!!
And we have bought the video cartridges...for about $30, you'll get a full hour of SpongeBob episodes...Jimmy Neutron, Dora...you name it.

We were going to buy a portable DVD player this trip too.

And I have to admit, we give our kids a decongestant that makes them sleepy...along with scheduling the longest flight portion for the early afternoon (they will nap:)...and the time just - no pun intended - flies!!:)

Our boys have blankies too, and we tie them around their heads for that sensory feedback...they like thinking they look like football players::yes::

....and!! this is a long post - sorry:)

We toilet trained at WDW with PECS too..worked like a charm::yes:: Just don't forget to hold your finger over the flush sensor, or bring sticky notes or a bandaid to stick over it...the flush is pretty traumatizing for our boys!!

HTH!!
:sunny:

You will have a fantastic trip with your grandson. I just wanted to highly recommend a stroller. Though DS did not want one this year we did rent a wheelchair one night. His friend in school has one and he thought it was fantastic. I have to say I had a good experiences this year. ONe night at the fireworks there was a lost child and I noticed the CM's went right into action. Luckily the child was reunited right away. And of course one night at Epcot I lost track of DD, she wondered over to something when I turned around it took only seconds. so using my big mouth started yelling for her and folks around me immediately started looking around with me. I tell yeah it's very heartening to see people jump to action when they think a child is missing.

As a special ed teacher, I have dealt with many students who like to "wander". To keep them safe I have used a wrist leash. Most will not wear it on their wrist, so I made sure they wore pants with belt loops on field trips. I put one end of the wrist leash through a back belt loop and the other on my wrist. They didn't fight this and I didn't lose them! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter