Autism tips for a sub

lorimc

<font color=green>Push the Button, Frank<br><font
Hi, just got called out to work as a sub in one of the area's high schools and the vice principal informed me that there will be a girl with Autism in my class.

Her mother is her aide and the VP raved about how wonderful she is to work with.

I just want to know what to expect. I know next to nothing about Autism and the VP did not specify the degree or level of her Autism. I just want to be prepared to be as helpful and as informed as I can be.

Thanks!

If you just want some general info. do a google search and you will come up with a lot. Autism Society of American and Autism Speaks are both good organizations that give the basic information.
it is hard to tell yo uwhat to expect. Every child is so different. Some children are very high functioning while others are profoundly affected. All will have difficulty with communication and socializing, but the range is huge.
Most have sensory issues.
Seems like the aide/mom will take the lead. Just ask her at the start of the day what modifications you should make to accomodate the student. I'm sure she will tell you. :)
You will have a good day. :goodvibes

Years ago I was a sub and I often got called for sp.ed. assignments. I understand your concern.

If she is mainstreamed, she probably can communicate verbally at some level. If she is verbal (and even if she isn't), be very direct and do not use euphemisms, metaphors, or slang when making requests of her. Our autistic kids usually are very literal and saying things like "Okay, lets wrap this up" doesn't always register. "It is time to finish our work now" will be much more meaningful to her.

Also, don't let any odd behavior startle you. Kids sometimes need to do things that seem odd from the outside (often to satisfy their sensory needs as mentioned by the previous poster) but it doesn't mean that they aren't paying attention or aware of what is going on.

Some kids get very overwhelmed. Humming lights, ticking clocks, rustling papers, etc. can often create a jumble that is almost painful. If she needs a break I am sure her mom will let you know. Or she may seek out stimulation instead of avoiding it. Each kid is different.

Eye contact can be tough but just because she doesn't seem to be looking doesn't mean she isn't learning.

Check in with her and her mom on occasion to make sure her needs are being met and you will be fine!

I have an Autistic son 9 who is in a regular ed classroom and a full time assistant that the district has provided for him. He is very high functioning and does well in school and is well liked among his peers. My son loves to get a sub because he loves change. Not always the case with other ASD children.This will probably be easy for you seeing the Mom is right there for you. ASD is so different with every child, there are really no instructions. Patience and good eye contact is the key. Let her be as independent as she can be then help out as needed. You will be fine!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter