Autism service dogs

CNN interviewed us for World Autism Day and here is our segment. The focus is on autism assistance service animals. http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2009/04/02/nr.cohen.autism.boy.dog.cnn?iref=videosearch

Hi Shannon! I am another 4 Paws family! We will be in the Aug 09 class. (This is actually our son's second dog. He had some bonding issues with his first dog who has since been placed with another boy.)
I watched your segment when you posted the link on the yahoo group! Great segment! I don't frequent the disAbilities threads regularly - spend most my time on the Disneyland threads. But someone (Thanks Laurie!:) ) let me know you posted about this over here!

There is a bit of controversy surrounding using service dogs for autism: specifically the practice of tethering the child to prevent running away. Some children can be very strong and this poses a safety risk for both the child and the dog. For this reason there is currently a debate about whether or not this is an acceptable use of a service dog. I have not heard debate regarding their other functions for kids with autism (helping to calm during meltodwns for instance).

QUOTE]

This is why it is called a 3 person team! The parent has a leash attached to the dog, the child is tethered to the dog's harness. As a nurse, I see no danger posed to both the dog and the child. The only danger I see is where you have the tether attached to the child. It should be where the child's center of gravity is and not some place that will throw off their balance.

Hi Shannon! I am another 4 Paws family! We will be in the Aug 09 class. (This is actually our son's second dog. He had some bonding issues with his first dog who has since been placed with another boy.)
I watched your segment when you posted the link on the yahoo group! Great segment! I don't frequent the disAbilities threads regularly - spend most my time on the Disneyland threads. But someone (Thanks Laurie!:) ) let me know you posted about this over here!

Thanks. We love Luke, he has helped Justin. Good luck at your next training. Tell Jeremy and eveyone else we said hello.

We have had an autism service dog for our DS for a little over a year now. We got Josie from ASDA in Oregon. I went with them over 4 pasw mostly for the training, I spent a week in Oregon training as the handler and then 2 weeks after I returned home with Josie, a trainer from ASDA came here for a week. I found the at home training very valuable, the trainer went to school everyday for a week and trained DS's para to handle them as well. We also opportunity to train in all the places we normaly go.
Are you thinking of getting a SD for your 3 yr old or 5 yr old?
IMO, I think 3 is too young to have a SD, but this can be a very long process, we started the application process in November of 06 and didn't bring Josie home until Feb of 08, it takes 18 months for these dogs to be ready to be placed so even once you finish your fundraising there aren't a ton of dogs just waiting to be placed.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions that I can answer!

What is the approximate cost of an autism service dog? We've been talking about the possiblitiy of obtaining one for DS7 for quite some time. I do not think fundraising would be very successful in the area in which we live, and would be willing to pay out of pocket if possible. I understand that the fundraising, beyond bringing in money to the training organization, also represents some "sweat equity" on the part of parents, and would be willing to volunteer in some other way if need be.

I'm not sure about an autism SD, but the cost to train mine ( she's a mobility assistance dog) was over 20K and that didn't include the $$ her foster family spent the year they raised her from a puppy, her basic obedience, food, shots, spaying, flea and tick meds, and heartworm meds. My ongoing costs are over $100 a month average including vet visits- but I buy a high quality food and pay for some extras that I want her to have. The organization doesn't charge me for the re-certification trainer/evaluator that sees us every 18 months and films us to see if she's still doing all her tasks or if I needed any retraining done or to work on a new task as my needs change.

Regarding the statement made above,some SD organizations do promote tethering the child to the dog without a parent also holding on, which is the reason for the controversy and concern for danger/discomfort both for dog and child. This is the reason I mentioned that parents should be aware then when doing the tethering, the parent is ultimately in charge and so the parent will be responsible for the dog as well as their child. I truly don't see much difference here between the parent holding the child vs. a dog in the middle, however if a parent gets distracted or the child responds better to the presence of the dog, then that would be a benefit plus it's probably more socially acceptable. In the home though there are tasks a dog can do which would relieve the stress of a parent of having to be watchful 24/7- IMO that is invaluable for everyone.---Kathy

Always remember do what is best for your child and family. It does not matter what others opinions are. Do your homework on the facilities training autism assistance service animals. What might be right for one family may not be for yours. HTH:thumbsup2

I just looked at the place in Oregon because of location. In my brain I was thinking I have 5K for a dog for DS. But the price is $13,500! I don't and will never have that amount of money.

We live in an extremely rural area and we are not of the prominent religion that dominates everything in the area. DS can't be in boy scouts because we are not part of the "church". It is weird and scarry but this our home. The point, members of this "church" would never help us with fund raising for SD.

So the idea is just a passing. I will continue to use ABA to help DS learn to stay close to me and keep praying he can socialize with others.

Our dog is Luke Skywalker. He is a 2 yr old black lab. What does he do for my son? He does behavior disruptions when he is having a meltdown, he comforts him when he is frustrated, he can find Justin up to 5 miles if he should run, he helps him with social skills, we tether Justin & Luke while out in public to keep Justin safe from a stranger, a moving car, or from running off. I will say it is like having another child, but the rewards far outway the headaches at times. Sometimes I think, what did I get myself into or I think I bit off more than I can chew, then Luke comes to Justin's rescue and helps him where he is needed. Then I think to myself, I am so glad we have Luke.

I am about to tell you a testimonial from a mom from 4 Paws for Ability on her son's autism assistance dog. This is what sealed the deal for me. Not to mention, I am a nurse and I have seen first hand what pet therapy can do, so I am a HUGE believer and advocate. Here is this little boy's story: *warning kleenax alert*:sad:

This little was diagnosed with Aspergers, by the time he was 7-8 yrs old, he was on antipsychotic meds, antidepression meds, adhd meds, etc. While his friends from preschool and Kindergarten were growing and developing normally, this little boy stayed in the same mental age as a 4-5 yr old. His friends no longer wanted to play with him anymore. So he began trying to play with his older brother's friends, which in turn teased him, bullied him. This little boy was so lonely and depressed, he tried to commit suicide twice! He tried to set himself on fire, and then slit his wrists. He even set up his bed like a gravesite. The mom was beside herself, she wrote in her testimonial "how could this beautiful little boy think that his life was so worthless that he thought he needed to end it?!" The mom found 4 Paws for Ability and they got Scooby Doo. When the boy was 12 yrs old, she wrote a letter to 4 Paws to thank them. She wrote, "my once very sad little boy is now a thriving 12 yr old, he is off all of his antipsychotic and antidepression meds, he actually has friends, and even better - he wants to LIVE!"

That was it! As a mom, nurse, and advocate I did not want my son to get to that point and I am glad I contacted 4 paws. This school year my son has been bullied, mistreated, and made fun of. He comes home tells Luke and then Luke gives him a kiss and all is better in the world, at least for the rest of the day. Luke does not judge him, make fun of him, mistreat him, or bully him. Luke is his best friend. Luke gives him something me or my husband can't give him most of the time. My worst day is my son's best day and he says at the end of the day everyday - "This is the best day ever!" I keep that philosophy locked in my head and heart daily and it wrings true for my son with Luke. I'm not going to lie, having a service animal is work, but worth all the work. I hope this helps you and anyone else thinking of getting an autism assistance service animal.

Disclaimer - I'm not trying to promote 4 Paws for Ability, that is just where we got Luke. Go with a facility you feel best suits your needs for your child or family member.

I just watched the video, bring out the tissue alert! It was so moving and I am happy your family has Luke. We live with the teasing at school everyday. It is heartbreaking.

What is the approximate cost of an autism service dog? We've been talking about the possiblitiy of obtaining one for DS7 for quite some time. I do not think fundraising would be very successful in the area in which we live, and would be willing to pay out of pocket if possible.

www.ecad1.org

When my kids received their dogs they were $6500 each. Now, they cost $20,000 + to train. We received grants for payment. My kids' dogs are highly specialized dogs. My daughter's is a ventilator alert dog.

my dd was dx last year when she was three years old. We have had her service dog since he was 5 months old. We fostered him through a program called Autism Dog Services in hopes that they would be a match. They are. Dd is the youngest in the program at now 4.5 yeas old with a service dog.

Autism Dog Services Head trainer and director is Wade Beattie. He was the head trainer for National Service Dogs and helped other countries bring in the Autism Service Dog program to them. Autism Dog Service's also a non profit charitable organization. A dog costs 18,000 and is a 12 - 18 month wait. There is no cost to the families but they ask if you could fundraise. If you can only raise 100 that is fine, that does not stop you from getting a dog.

What a world of difference Crosby has made for SOphie. He keeps we safe whne out in public they are teathered together. And if she starts to want to run we give the command to STOP and he will either lay down or sit and not move even though she is puling with all her might to get away.

he also helps as a calming deep pressure. SHe has many meltdowns and will scream cry and try to hurt herself. Crosby is given a comand to "go visit" and he will either lay on her or nuzzle into her. What used to be up to an hour meltdown is now a 10 - 15 sometimes less meltdown.

He keeps her moving forward b/c she loves to touch and tap things. He will nudge her to keep her moving if she gets "stuck"

All and all Crosby is an awsome dog. I would reccomend to people who want to get a sd for their child to do your research as there are some orgainzations that aren't all that great.

I have to say that it was fun to look back at this thread. I didn't know it was old one until I saw the dates.

We ended up babysitting my oldest DD dog while she was in college. It was a great fit for our family. Zion immediately bonded with DS and protected him from the creek by our home. Once he eloped from his bedroom window and what do I see, Zion and DS going out the in back yard. She didn't stop him but she would not leave his side. Even times he would want to go for a walk alone but Zion stayed with DS constantly. She was everything we could have wanted in a dog for DS.

Sad day when she had to go back to her real owner and our dog sitting was done. I know dogs trained in tasks are needed but we were very blessed to just have a regular dog who wasn't trained specifically but she watched over her master and took good care of him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter