Autism service dogs

Gaia

Earning My Ears
I have a 2 kids with PDD-NOS - DD who is 3 and DS who is 5. One of their therapists mentioned these to me. Can anyone who has one tell me how they have helped your child?

Thanks a bunch!

SD's can help a child who tends to be impulsive by sitting down and refusing to move if the child attempts to run away, and sometimes a child who can't bond with a human can do so with a dog, and I'm sure there are other things. I wouldn't recommend a SD for a child that young as they aren't old enough to handle a dog themselves, so you'd have to handle and care for the dog, plus your children- it might end up being more work for you. There can be concerns for the dog too if a child is aggressive. I would ask your children's therapist what tasks she thinks a SD could do to help mitigate their disability and take it from there.---Kathy

SD's can help a child who tends to be impulsive by sitting down and refusing to move if the child attempts to run away, and sometimes a child who can't bond with a human can do so with a dog, and I'm sure there are other things. I wouldn't recommend a SD for a child that young as they aren't old enough to handle a dog themselves, so you'd have to handle and care for the dog, plus your children- it might end up being more work for you. There can be concerns for the dog too if a child is aggressive. I would ask your children's therapist what tasks she thinks a SD could do to help mitigate their disability and take it from there.---Kathy

I totally disagree with you! My son has an autism assistance service dog and he is 8 yrs old. There are children getting dogs placed with them even at 3-4 yrs old. The parent is the handler and it is a 3 person team. When we were at training, there was a little girl that went and bit and pulled hair, tails, ears, or all of the above and all the dogs just laid there and took it. You should visit www.4pawsforability.org, they train service animals for those that need them, no matter the age or the disability. In fact, they were the first to train autism assistance service dogs. Karen Shirk, the owner and founder, was featured on CNN Heroes last summer. She is the BEST! 4 Paws has earned so many awards for their work with assistance dogs.

I have a 2 kids with PDD-NOS - DD who is 3 and DS who is 5. One of their therapists mentioned these to me. Can anyone who has one tell me how they have helped your child?

Thanks a bunch!

Our dog is Luke Skywalker. He is a 2 yr old black lab. What does he do for my son? He does behavior disruptions when he is having a meltdown, he comforts him when he is frustrated, he can find Justin up to 5 miles if he should run, he helps him with social skills, we tether Justin & Luke while out in public to keep Justin safe from a stranger, a moving car, or from running off. I will say it is like having another child, but the rewards far outway the headaches at times. Sometimes I think, what did I get myself into or I think I bit off more than I can chew, then Luke comes to Justin's rescue and helps him where he is needed. Then I think to myself, I am so glad we have Luke.

I am about to tell you a testimonial from a mom from 4 Paws for Ability on her son's autism assistance dog. This is what sealed the deal for me. Not to mention, I am a nurse and I have seen first hand what pet therapy can do, so I am a HUGE believer and advocate. Here is this little boy's story: *warning kleenax alert*:sad:

This little was diagnosed with Aspergers, by the time he was 7-8 yrs old, he was on antipsychotic meds, antidepression meds, adhd meds, etc. While his friends from preschool and Kindergarten were growing and developing normally, this little boy stayed in the same mental age as a 4-5 yr old. His friends no longer wanted to play with him anymore. So he began trying to play with his older brother's friends, which in turn teased him, bullied him. This little boy was so lonely and depressed, he tried to commit suicide twice! He tried to set himself on fire, and then slit his wrists. He even set up his bed like a gravesite. The mom was beside herself, she wrote in her testimonial "how could this beautiful little boy think that his life was so worthless that he thought he needed to end it?!" The mom found 4 Paws for Ability and they got Scooby Doo. When the boy was 12 yrs old, she wrote a letter to 4 Paws to thank them. She wrote, "my once very sad little boy is now a thriving 12 yr old, he is off all of his antipsychotic and antidepression meds, he actually has friends, and even better - he wants to LIVE!"

That was it! As a mom, nurse, and advocate I did not want my son to get to that point and I am glad I contacted 4 paws. This school year my son has been bullied, mistreated, and made fun of. He comes home tells Luke and then Luke gives him a kiss and all is better in the world, at least for the rest of the day. Luke does not judge him, make fun of him, mistreat him, or bully him. Luke is his best friend. Luke gives him something me or my husband can't give him most of the time. My worst day is my son's best day and he says at the end of the day everyday - "This is the best day ever!" I keep that philosophy locked in my head and heart daily and it wrings true for my son with Luke. I'm not going to lie, having a service animal is work, but worth all the work. I hope this helps you and anyone else thinking of getting an autism assistance service animal.

Disclaimer - I'm not trying to promote 4 Paws for Ability, that is just where we got Luke. Go with a facility you feel best suits your needs for your child or family member.

Be careful who you get an Autism Dog from, as there are some frauds out there. I think one is in Kansas. They don't train the dog to do any tasks - it is just a pet and has no legal status for the disabled person to bring it anywhere. It is just an expensive pet. Some places don't even train the dog in basic obedience very well! They just rob the disabled - SO sad!!!

So, please, if anybody is going to look into getting an Autism Dog (or any type of service dog, for that matter), make sure the place is reputable and trains the dogs to do at least two tasks that mitigate your (or your child's or spouse's) actual disability (i.e. if they tell you the dog can retrieve but you don't have any issues getting items on your own, the dog isn't a service dog for you even though some places try to pass it off as such).

There is also a service dog program that is under investigation/lawsuit from the state gov't that it is in, as the gov't believes they are frauds. So do your research carefully!

I have tried to keep “read up” on this area and while SDs for autism individuals started very much from the classic perspective it has been rapidly moving away from many of the classic rules and ideas about SDs. Obviously having very young children with SDs is new, and the long term therapeutic value, particularly in the social anxiety areas (as compared to the classic immediate (or ongoing) assistance or therapeutic alert or intervention) has been so successful that qualifications on that alone are being considered.

It is interesting that for younger children it appears that the SDs have that tolerant, protective and nurturing relationship very similar to that with a pup which helps with the sometimes rougher characteristics. This is an area, which will continue to evolve and hold amazing promise for both quality of life and economic impact moderation for individuals who are autistic.

bookwormde

I have a service dog for other reasons but also agree that dogs for autistic individuals, whether children or adults can be very beneficial. My only concern over dogs for young children were mentioned above, but that doesn't mean that those issues can't be addressed- you just need to be aware of them and know that yes, you will be a team and you'll need to take care of the dog and be aware of the dog's comfort and safety. Many dogs( even those that aren't SD's ) will ignore a young child poking their eyes, pulling their tail, etc. but it doesn't necessarily mean they enjoy having someone be rough- it will depend on the bond and the dog's training to realize that it's helping someone and needs to focus on the disabled person despite that person's behavior. Even though SD's for those with autism may be "moving away from the traditional qualifications"- to be a SD and have the ability for public access, a SD must mitigate a disability and MUST perform tasks, not just be there for comfort ( although that's a side benefit for all of us!). So legally, be sure you get a dog from a reputable organization who has trained the dog specifically for your child's needs and to do tasks and not is not just providing you with a trained pet. Legally one must still follow the definition of service animal to bring your dog with you in public.----Kathy

Anyone know of any grants or ways to pay for this besides fundraising? I have been looking into getting dd (she is a wanderer, a hider, and would go with anyone) one and there is no way that I could fundraise money to pay for one. We live in Michigan (metro-Detroit) and people around here are fighting to feed their kids.

This was a great segment!! :)

I had no idea that children with autism were able to get dogs! How cool!

I have a question about this particular organization...

When you raise the money, does it cover your travel expenses to the training site?

It depends on the fundraising. Some families not only raise money for the dog but for travel expenses too. We only raised money for the dog. My in laws lived in the area and they helped with some of the expenses. We stayed in a hotel in the area that gave all the families there for training discounts on their room. HTH.

Anyone know of any grants or ways to pay for this besides fundraising? I have been looking into getting dd (she is a wanderer, a hider, and would go with anyone) one and there is no way that I could fundraise money to pay for one. We live in Michigan (metro-Detroit) and people around here are fighting to feed their kids.

I have heard of somebody needing an SD who got a donation from their local Petco or Petsmart, so after you've been accepted into an organization, you could inquire there if they can help. Donations should be made directly to the organization, not to you, of course - I doubt Petco/Petsmart would do it any other way, anyway! Just so there is no doubt where the money is going/what it is being used for.

Some ppl make and sell things on eBay to help raise funds. Or have other Web sites where ppl can donate money to the organization in your name - ask the organization how to set that up.

Some ppl have gotten local restaurants to select a date and time range and a pre-specified portion of the proceeds from everybody who eats there then goes to the organization.

I'm sure whatever organization you go with will have plenty of ideas of how you can fundraise.

However, do be aware that the costs for SDs don't end once you have the dog. It costs $1,000-2,000+ per year for upkeep (food, vet, supplies, etc.) - more if the dog gets injured and needs emergency treatment, surgery, etc. (so you need a rainy day fund for vet expenses - you can deposit a pre-decided amount of money into a savings acc't each month for this purpose). If you can't afford that, an SD isn't for you, it's just a fact of life.

Also local churches or charitable organizations might be able to help with fundraising and perhaps your local newspaper could do a story with a link to a trust account set up to accept donations. You could do a raffle or even ask people to donate "stuff" for a yards sale. The SD organization that provided my dog does not charge the clients so I was very fortunate. Corporate and personal donations were given to fund Skye for me. Is that a possibility with your organization?---Kathy

There is a bit of controversy surrounding using service dogs for autism: specifically the practice of tethering the child to prevent running away. Some children can be very strong and this poses a safety risk for both the child and the dog. For this reason there is currently a debate about whether or not this is an acceptable use of a service dog. I have not heard debate regarding their other functions for kids with autism (helping to calm during meltodwns for instance).

I do think tthat is an important consideration about whether or not it is ethical or safe to tether a child to a dog. That would be something to discuss with the organization if that is your intent. Only you and the organization can decide that.

Also local churches or charitable organizations might be able to help with fundraising and perhaps your local newspaper could do a story with a link to a trust account set up to accept donations. You could do a raffle or even ask people to donate "stuff" for a yards sale. The SD organization that provided my dog does not charge the clients so I was very fortunate. Corporate and personal donations were given to fund Skye for me. Is that a possibility with your organization?---Kathy

Yes, that's true - many ppl have gotten funding for SDs (as well as other medical equipment like wheelchairs) from places like the Kiwanis Club and the others that I can't think of their names right now.

I've even seen somebody try to get money on eBay by selling ad space on their SD's vest and back of their wheelchair, LOL! I'm not sure they ever got any offers, though.

There are specific grants for those with autism. You might wish to call Lu, the owner of East Coast Assistance Dogs. They've received a lot of recognition for their autism dogs. They are wonderful. We have two service dogs in our house. We received grants for most of the cost for the dogs.

http://www.ecad1.org/
http://www.assistancedogunitedcampaign.org/vouchers.html

Some of the agencies don't charge the family for the dog or training - they get those things from volunteers and contributions. The family is encouraged to fundraise for the organization after they receive their dog.
I know some people who got service dogs (not autism related) from a Minnesota organization called Hearing and Service Dogs.

This is the page of autism information from the same organization. I have seen news stories about their program. There was one video series where they followed a child/dog/family team for the first few months after the dog was placed. They said that although tethering is something they do with the dogs, many children fight it at first, but soon get to understand the dog as a boundary and voluntarily stay close.

Besides the cost of dog, training and travel to get training, people need to keep in mind the continuing costs of having a dog. That was something we thought we knew, but all the the vet costs and stuff add up.

I agree with the others that you need to know about the organization - how reputable they are and do they actually know how to do what they say they do.

Since this is not about WDW or travel, I am going to move this to the disABILITIES Community Board. It will be more on topic there.

To check out the organization you should be able to go to Better Business Bureau or give.org if they are considered a charity. Also do an internet search. I know the state of Missouri is suing Heaven Scent Paws which trains diabetes dogs because they have had a truckload of issues with them. You want to make sure that the company you are getting it from is delivering on the product so to speak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter