Autism Infommercial

s&k'smom

<font color=blue>I really do have to get a life!<b
I was channel surfing this morning before my work out and came across a "infommercial" regarding Future Horizens books. I missed the first 10 minutes but the woman was interviewing a man by the name of Jerry Newport who was diagnosed with Aspergers. Then she interviewed a woman by the name of Carol Gray from NJ who was a teacher and Dr. Tony Atwood. They were talking about Future Horizens-autism.com and the books you can get. They were talking about social issues etc. The exciting part was it really was educational as well as selling books. At the end of it they showed phone numbers and web pages such as the autism society etc. It was on FitTV at 5am this morning. Anyone else catch it?

but going to do a search right now...thanks!!:D

I didn't see it, but I have attended several of Future Horizons conferences (I'm a special education teacher). I've heard both Jerry Newport and Carol Gray speak (as well as Temple Grandin and others). They are by far the best conferences/speakers I've heard on autism.

Hey guys, it was just so nice to see the spectrum in a positive light. Have a great day.

I didn't catch it but I too have seen Carol Gray speak and she is fantastic. I wish we had someone like her around here in Maryland. She is one of the best speakers I have seen.

Jerry Newport is having a movie made about his life in case people didn't know.

Future Horizons also has a magazine you can subscribe to.
The web address is futurehorizons-autism.com and autismdigest.com.

Thanks for sharing.
I have not seen it, but it sounds really interesting.

Thank you for the links. It is really nice to see positive references to autism (or any reference). When my son was diagnosed 6 years ago my library only had one book on the subject.

I've just read a book that parents with older high functioning children might want to read and have their son's read written by a 14 yr old with Aspergers called Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers by Luke Jackson. It's helping my son see that he isn't the only one with struggles in socialization.

That book sounds interesting. Did you need to order it or is it pretty readily availble in the big bookstores?

I bought it from Amazon after reading about it on a message board. All my local chain book stores would have to order it for me because they didn't stock it. For me it was a wonderful book because I saw my son in it so much and was able to laugh at the how similar my son and this boy were. Luke also explained things my son did (like sleeping under 5 blankets even in the summer) and helped me to ease up a bit on certain behaviors. There was also a chapter on whether to tell the child about autism or not and it really eased my mind hearing what he had to say at a time when we decided we really needed to tell my son.

I really bought the book for my son but I read it first to make sure it was appropriate and now I want to get a copy for everyone who comes in contact with my son. My DS is outside right now reading the book and keeps coming in to tell me how much Luke is like him. The only disadvantage is Luke lives in England and some of the terms can be confusing for AS kids.

This is a link and you can read bits of the book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/184...116-6964762?_encoding=UTF8&p=S00E#reader-link

Thanks for the link. That young man has a very interesting way of writing.
I'm thinking my nephew who has Asperger's might like it. It would be really useful to give to teachers, etc to read when they think he is just bring "willful."
My youngest Dd has Cerebral Palsy, ADd and a lot of compulsive, sort of obsessive behaviors, similar to some Asperger type things, so it might help me understand her a little more too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter