Australian cruise protocols

Did they confirm no testing before boarding???
For now, it appears testing might still be applicable until the November 17th or 18th sailing, as it was already announced via email last month. They said unless/until an email has been sent out changing the information we have already been given, follow the protocols on the original email for testing and vaccination status. It doesn't look like people have to test after the dates in November.

I've spoken to Disney directly today. They will be continuing to encourage mask wearing on board and performing surveillance testing to both crew and passengers. Any passenger who tests positive will be isolated to their cabin (thankfully!). If there is an outbreak amongst crew, all crew will return to mask wearing and and announcement will be made to recommend masks be worn by passengers. In the event of an outbreak, you will no longer be able to serve yourself at Cabanas/ice cream ect either. This will apparently be the updated policy and was confirmed today directly with DCL. It's not great but it's a something in place, given what a petri dish Cruise ships are for viruses. Will be interesting to see the email they decide to send out.
I appreciate your concern on the issue but just to note... this "updated policy" is pretty much DCL's standard protocol (for dealing with onboard illnesses, like norovirus, covid, stomach bug, etc.). I'd be highly surprised if there is anything specifically posted or emailed about it other than something specifically stating that testing and special protocols for Australia will be dropped.

Phone CMs generally only know about as much as the public, and sometimes less. They have no actual insight to any changes DCL will make until it is announced.

Individuals do need to deal with it their own way - as long as they're not knowingly infecting others. I would hope if someone was on the cruise and knew they had Covid, they would test and isolate. I'd certainly report anyone I thought had Covid or any illness to crew and crew will ask people showing visible signs of Covid to test.
So you are going to report anyone who happens to cough? Many people have allergies or we all just cough once in a while.

I appreciate your concern on the issue but just to note... this "updated policy" is pretty much DCL's standard protocol (for dealing with onboard illnesses, like norovirus, covid, stomach bug, etc.). I'd be highly surprised if there is anything specifically posted or emailed about it other than something specifically stating that testing and special protocols for Australia will be dropped.

Phone CMs generally only know about as much as the public, and sometimes less. They have no actual insight to any changes DCL will make until it is announced.
That information didn't just come from a phone CM, that information came from someone higher up in the company. We called DCL as we were considering cancelling due to changes in their Covid Policy, despite being after our PIF date and they had a someone call us back within a different department. Obviously things could change but that's the information we have been given, on phone and via an email, because we have serious concerns about Covid while on board. I would expect an email to come out if their policies change in regard to masking, testing.

So you are going to report anyone who happens to cough? Many people have allergies or we all just cough once in a while.
Who coughs once or twice? No. Who is hacking up consistently or showing signs of illness? Yes, I'd report them to a crew member. I'd do the same for any viral infection but certainly one that places people at serious risk.

Who coughs once or twice? No. Who is hacking up consistently or showing signs of illness? Yes, I'd report them to a crew member. I'd do the same for any viral infection but certainly one that places people at serious risk.
Well, I had covid and had no cough. But one of my blood pressure medicines causes a cough. So not sure that is a reliable indicator.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I have asthma and can cough a lot. If while on a cruise, someone was concerned and a CM requested I take a test, I'd take a test 🤷🏼‍♀️ it's not that big a deal to help keep vulnerable people safe.

That information didn't just come from a phone CM, that information came from someone higher up in the company. We called DCL as we were considering cancelling due to changes in their Covid Policy, despite being after our PIF date and they had a someone call us back within a different department. Obviously things could change but that's the information we have been given, on phone and via an email, because we have serious concerns about Covid while on board. I would expect an email to come out if their policies change in regard to masking, testing.
I think the only thing you can reasonably expect is they will isolate someone who tests positive and the only way they will know if someone is positive is if they tell them or go to the medical center and report symptoms. If many of the crew test positive they will probably return to masking and make an announcement to the passengers. Probably things will not be self service anymore.

I’m expecting that Disney will come out with an email soon saying that testing and vaccination will no longer be required because they made a statement on their website that said the Australian government may drop the requirements. For many months before the change in protocols by the Australian government, Disney knew that the protocols existed but didn’t publish anything on their website. They were hoping it would all go away before they had to say something. Disney has been very good about allowing people to get a full refund if there has been a change in protocols. When that email comes out expect them to allow you to get a full refund.

For those of you that would report people for coughing that sounds like a good way to spend time on the ship when there are a lot of other reasons why people cough. As others have mentioned meds. Swallowing wrong. Going down the wrong way. I was had crumbs go down the wrong way ended up coughing quite a bit to get my throat cleared. I could just feel every one looking at me.

We are doing checkin next week. I hope we know what the new covid protocol is by then. If no new news, then i guess it is vaccine and testing as stated in a prior email.

To the OPs question. Everything is subject to change. I think we need to look no further than norovirus on cruise ships. Several ships currently have norovirus outbreaks, just like it was happening in the cruise industry in 2003 when they had norovirus protocols in place on our cruise on the Disney Magic. So the lesson with covid is, I think the possibility of covid prompting special protocols on cruise ships may also very well be with us for decades.

For those of you that would report people for coughing that sounds like a good way to spend time on the ship when there are a lot of other reasons why people cough. As others have mentioned meds. Swallowing wrong. Going down the wrong way. I was had crumbs go down the wrong way ended up coughing quite a bit to get my throat cleared. I could just feel every one looking at me.
Ayup. I have asthma which can be set off by someone's perfume, cologne, stress, gas fumes etc.

After all the bored Karens/cough police bullying during covid, cannot imagine going through that on an expensive vacation.

It's unfortunate. Thankfully you can still wear masks on board, which we will be doing and we will continue to test on board, prior to boarding and post cruise. It's a shame, given how many cruises are having significant outbreaks worldwide. Many cruise ships here are returning with up to 30% positive guests.
My friend left the Wonder on August 21 and tested + for Covid on the 22. Thankfully it wasn’t serious. But she definitely was + on the ship, no, she didn’t test. She didn’t think she had Covid, thought it was allergies.

Does DCL provide masks?

I will say I get coughing attacks a lot from allergies, yeah I had covid after a Back-2-Back on Wish in April 2023. I have Lupus as well and luckily is was mild. It was worth it. And If I had tested positive on ship I would isolate I tested positive day after getting off but felt it morning I got off.

To the OPs question. Everything is subject to change. I think we need to look no further than norovirus on cruise ships. Several ships currently have norovirus outbreaks, just like it was happening in the cruise industry in 2003 when they had norovirus protocols in place on our cruise on the Disney Magic. So the lesson with covid is, I think the possibility of covid prompting special protocols on cruise ships may also very well be with us for decades.
Well said. When cruising or doing anything I'll think anything is a possibility. Luckily or unluckily for me I have Lupus so have to be careful. Yeah I will still cruise and do things and get my vaccines and wear masks, with allergies it helps too. Mom started that in 2014 outdoors

My friend left the Wonder on August 21 and tested + for Covid on the 22. Thankfully it wasn’t serious. But she definitely was + on the ship, no, she didn’t test. She didn’t think she had Covid, thought it was allergies.

Does DCL provide masks?
I'd bring masks along. I did, and wore it in theatre, but not many other places and caught covid. It was worth it for me

Does DCL provide mask

DCL does not provide masks. On the 9 night alaskan sailing people were coughing the last few days. A lot of people tested positive after getting off the ship. They were reporting it in our cruise group chat.

*Most* people I know never developed a cough with Covid. And I can assure you, when I had covid no one would have known, nor would I have tested if it weren’t for the circumstances. Just time for the cruise industry to move on, everyone knows the risks by now.

We are on the Oct 13 sailing from Honolulu to Sydney and we’re told we needed to test beforehand. I’m hoping that is dropped. We have had Covid before. For all of us a mild cold that lasted a day or two. I hope to get the latest booster before we leave. While I believe Covid is still an issue for many, it’s impossible for the world to shut down again. We are learning to live with it and will have to, just like we live with the flu and noro. I’ve been on a few cruises where I soent 24 hours in bed and the bathroom from the noro virus. For me i would much rather have Covid.

Please don’t respond with angry notes. Everyone has to deal with it in their own way. Im not the least bit offended by those who wear masks or take other steps. I believe in Covid and vaccines. And I’ve known several people who tragically died in the early days. But I think the reality is such that the world has to adapt and move on. And we have to deal with it in our own way.
Hi, have you checked in yet, did DCL ask to see vaccine requirements?

*Most* people I know never developed a cough with Covid. And I can assure you, when I had covid no one would have known, nor would I have tested if it weren’t for the circumstances. Just time for the cruise industry to move on, everyone knows the risks by now.
Well, they haven't moved on from norovirus after 20 years, so not sure it is realistic. Besides, the restrictions are set most often by the ports the ship is going to, not the cruise line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter