Australia

ACDSNY

Let the countdown begin!
I was so excited with the announcement of the Wonder going to Australia and New Zealand, but the more information that is revealed I'm disappointed in the itineraries once it arrives in Sydney.

I've been researching land tours and not finding anything that lines up with the repo cruise dates. I'm not real comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road and want something a little more then what the ABD Sydney does.

Any ideas?

I used to live in Australia - how much time do you have and what did you want to see? It's a huge country, as big as the States. I love Sydney - there's at least a weeks worth of things to see there. I drove when I lived there but it's not something I would advise. The cities are busy and the roads that aren't busy, you have to watch out for wildlife.

We're up for suggestions on what should be our top priorities and we could do up to 2 weeks. Thought about going up along the coast to Cairns stopping along the way. Not sure whether we'd have time to go to Ayers Rock area. Also don't mind flying to save time. We enjoy scenery, animals and want to see the Great Barrier Reef. We're not into the foodie/wine tasting stuff, but do enjoy nice places to stay and good restaurants.

I do like how the ABD does the Sydney Escape, but will want to add to that.

I'm sorry but I don't know what the ABD is? Are you sailing TO Sydney and then flying home? . It's 1500 miles from Sydney to Cairns. I actually would suggest Port Douglas which is a bit north of Cairns. The Daintree rainforest is pretty special. Great Barrier Reef is sadly failing.

These guys will take you out to what's left of the Reef from Port Douglas:

https://quicksilver-cruises.com/

With Sydney there are some excellent museums and I really enjoy the ferries - Manly Beach and Bondi are both beautiful. The fish market is fun and the aquarium out at Manly.

I LOVE the Outback. It's just so different from anywhere else. You can fly to Alice Springs and then take a bus (You can fly, too but the bus lets you see more) out to Uluru (aka Ayers Rock) and the Olgas.

I am not sure what travel is like post Covid in terms of the availability of flights at the moment but you could fly Sydney to Cairns and take ground transportation (50 miles) to Port Douglas. Then back to Cairns for a flight to Alice Springs (ground transport to Uluru) and then fly Uluru back to Sydney. Qantas does domestic flgihts, as does Virgin Australia and JetStar. Each flight isn't too long but by the time you get to and from the airports, it takes up one entire day.

In the meantime watch Crocodile Dundee and read A Town Like Alice to get in the mood!

Uluru - Outback.jpg

Last edited:

Yes sailing to Sydney from Honolulu, then will fly home to California. I've been to Sydney, Melbourne, and Hobart, but my husband hasn't so we'll do a few days in Sydney before heading north. Thanks for all the info, its very helpful.

Thank goodness we're retired so we can have the time to see some amazing places.

We are heading down under this December and spending almost a month. Land trip plus two cruises. Will chronicle the experience here on the boards for others.

Meanwhile, if you have two weeks and can travel efficiently, spend one week in Sydney + Melbourne (+ a possible side trip to either Hobart or Ayers Rock), and then one week in Queensland. The Queensland leg could be a week-long cruise to GBR/Whits out of Brisbane.

Last edited:
I can't wait to follow along on your adventure Intr3pid. The only time frame we're locked into is we'll arrive in Sydney October 27, 2023, well and maybe how long my family will watch our furbabies. Lol

I just wanted to point out, to those who don't know, that there is actually an Australian section on the boards;

https://www.disboards.com/forums/australia.177/

Lots of locals who can give you a heads up on possible travel itineraries and things to consider.

Two weeks isn't a huge amount of time, but if you're flying between Sydney, far north Queensland and Uluru then you should have enough time. However keep in mind that flights are expensive. Webjet.com.au is a good place to check for possible Airlines that will take you where you want to go.

As an Aussie if you had 2 weeks after the cruise I’d suggest 3/4 nights Sydney with a day trip to blue mountains. Stay around darling harbour if you can. 5/7 night cairns or pt Douglas (both are easier if you have a car but there are lots of tours too). Fly direct to Uluṟu/Ayres rock for 3 nights. I’ve been to all those places and Ayres rocks is my fav! Super amazing to see!

I’m hoping to get on the Hawaiian to Sydney cruise so hoping all you platinum and gold cruises let me 🙏

AGDSNY - Then you have a pretty good understanding of how big the country is. Tasmania is pretty special too . . . but a car would be helpful there, I think? And maybe the only place I would personally still consider driving.
I forgot about Taronga Zoo, which is reachable by ferry from Circular Quay (the main ferry terminal in Sydney, right near the Opera House). Have you been there?

https://taronga.org.au/sydney-zoo

There is also Australia Zoo, run by Steve Irwin's family, on the Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane.

https://www.australiazoo.com.au/

If you take the bus from Alice Springs to Uluru, they stop at a camel farm. You mentioned wanting to see animals?

I wonder if the WONDER will get the one berth that's across from the Opera House?

Camels OZ.jpg

I was so excited with the announcement of the Wonder going to Australia and New Zealand, but the more information that is revealed I'm disappointed in the itineraries once it arrives in Sydney.

I've been researching land tours and not finding anything that lines up with the repo cruise dates. I'm not real comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road and want something a little more then what the ABD Sydney does.

Any ideas?
The Itineraries aren't for Americans, they are for Australians. The point is not the stops or destinations. This is more of the "magic at sea" like they did in the UK last year.

One would assume they are trying to test the waters/see how things go for future sailings.

Oh, you mentioned animals! Have you been to the Taronga Zoo? Easy ferry ride from Circular Quay, the main ferry terminal in Sydney, across from the Opera House. I wonder if the WONDER will get the coveted berth between the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge? What a photo that would make.

Taronga Zoo:

There's also the Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast, north of Brisbane:

If you take the bus from Alice Springs out to Uluru, they usually stop at a Camel Farm. Uluru has a little complex of various levels of hotels, shops, a couple restaurants and of course lots of tours you can take.

https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/accommodation

Camels OZ.jpg

Loved the Taronga Zoo in 1999 so I'm sure it's changed alot since then and definitely on our list to go to. Thanks for all the links Girl of the South.

The Itineraries aren't for Americans, they are for Australians. The point is not the stops or destinations. This is more of the "magic at sea" like they did in the UK last year.

One would assume they are trying to test the waters/see how things go for future sailings.
And if you follow any groups on facebook apparently the Aussies are going bonkers over them.

Oh, you mentioned animals! Have you been to the Taronga Zoo? Easy ferry ride from Circular Quay, the main ferry terminal in Sydney, across from the Opera House. I wonder if the WONDER will get the coveted berth between the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge? What a photo that would make.

Taronga Zoo:

There's also the Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast, north of Brisbane:

If you take the bus from Alice Springs out to Uluru, they usually stop at a Camel Farm. Uluru has a little complex of various levels of hotels, shops, a couple restaurants and of course lots of tours you can take.

https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/accommodation

View attachment 702536
Thank you for this info! The zoo is on our To Do List now!

I'm not real comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road
We're up for suggestions on what should be our top priorities and we could do up to 2 weeks. Thought about going up along the coast to Cairns stopping along the way. Not sure whether we'd have time to go to Ayers Rock area. Also don't mind flying to save time.
I can relate with not wanting to drive on the opposite side of the road, my husband and I tried to cross the big island from Aulani to surf at one point my husband just pulled over till no one else was on the road and immediately gave the hire car back after one trip.

The transport around the cruise terminal at Circular Quay in Sydney is amazing, there is no need for a tour there really.

Definitely fly from Sydney to Cairns the drive is 27 hours without stopping, hence no tour would go to both Cairns and Sydney by road. Adding Uluru (Ayers Rock is on old name for it) would be too long and dangerous, while I have met people who have driven from Uluru to capital cities people generally fly there.

I would:
  • Stay in somewhere like/near the Four Seasons Sydney. The Four seasons is a bit dated, but corner suites have amazing views of the harbour and its within walking distance of the cruise terminal and opera house.
  • spend 4-5 days navigating Sydney from Circular Quay using public transport, no need for a tour. You can walk to the postcard spots, catch a ferry to Taronga Zoo, catch a bus to Bondi.
  • The train leaves from there to the Airport, it is insanely easy, and fly to either the Whitsundays or Cairns.
  • If Cairns for 5-6 days you could get an airport transfer for $200 to not drive. I would stay in the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas, like the 4S it is a little dated but because it is beachfront. Book a swim up room. From there you can get a tour pick up to go to the Reef with someone like Quicksilver, they will get you from the resort. Also do a day tour of the Daintree and the Kuranda Express is cool.
  • If Whitsundays, I would look at Hamilton Island, like Cairns you can do tours. The Whitsundays are beautiful islands.
  • Then I would fly to Uluru for the last 2-3 days, there are direct flights from Cairns. I think from the Whitsundays you would need to come back to Brisbane, but that would be a short flight. At Uluru stay at Sails in the Desert.
  • From there you could fly back to Sydney to go home.
Another place you haven't mentioned is around Darwin where Kakadu is which is beautiful, I expect there are tours there, but it would involve another flight and more time.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter