Aulani twice or Aulani-DCL?

Which would you pick?

• Aulani twice (one alone, one with friends)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 7 night DCL alone and Aulani with friends only

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

justme0729

DIS Veteran
We have been on DCL twice in the past year- both Bahamian cruises and we have never been to Aulani. We bought DVC points at Aulani and we are considering using our points to go to Aulani during spring break by ourselves (2 adults) and then invite our friends (another couple) to stay with us 9 months later. But... I have a pretty good price on a 7 night eastern carribean cruise at $4200 with a verandah making it the same cost (including flights, food, excursions, etc.) if we were to do Aulani. I'm a teacher so this is one of the only spring breaks we have that happens to not fall during Easter making the cruise less expensive than usual ($6,000+ during holidays). But... part of me also wants to go to our newly purchased DVC resort ASAP and experience it alone first so we know what we are doing and can enjoy it sooner. But I do REALLY love Castaway Cay and DCL... I keep going back and forth!

Would you choose to do Aulani twice in a year (one alone, one with friends) or do a 7 night eastern carribean and then Aulani just once with friends? We wouldn't be able to make it back to Aulani again after the trip with friends for 2 years because we would be borrowing points.

Since both will be pretty new to you, I would go for 7night eastern then Aulani. You’ll be able to explore new ports and at the same time enjoy Aulani with your friends. Going on the 7night in DCL compared to the 3-4 night Bahamian has a different feel to it. It’s not too “rushed” and you’ll really enjoy your time in the ship. Aulani, on the other hand, is such a beautiful place. We own DVC points there as well and everytime we go, we make sure we stay at least a week to enjoy the beauty of the resort and the island as well. Have fun whatever you decide on!

We have been on DCL twice in the past year- both Bahamian cruises and we have never been to Aulani. We bought DVC points at Aulani and we are considering using our points to go to Aulani during spring break by ourselves (2 adults) and then invite our friends (another couple) to stay with us 9 months later. But... I have a pretty good price on a 7 night eastern carribean cruise at $4200 with a verandah making it the same cost (including flights, food, excursions, etc.) if we were to do Aulani. I'm a teacher so this is one of the only spring breaks we have that happens to not fall during Easter making the cruise less expensive than usual ($6,000+ during holidays). But... part of me also wants to go to our newly purchased DVC resort ASAP and experience it alone first so we know what we are doing and can enjoy it sooner. But I do REALLY love Castaway Cay and DCL... I keep going back and forth!

Would you choose to do Aulani twice in a year (one alone, one with friends) or do a 7 night eastern carribean and then Aulani just once with friends? We wouldn't be able to make it back to Aulani again after the trip with friends for 2 years because we would be borrowing points.

I’m guessing you are leaning towards dcl since you put it on the dcl board.

We've been to Aulani twice in 4 years and done many DCL cruises so hopefully have a bit of insight into this. I would compare your idea of doing 2 trips to Aulani in the same year to doing the same cruise with the same ports twice in a year. With or without friends you will be experiencing the same thing both times and possibly repeating activities. For instance, if you go to Diamond head on your first trip to Aulani will you do it again with your friends? Is that something you would enjoy or would you feel it's a waste of time as you just experienced it earlier in the year?

I would recommend doing the cruise and Aulani as it gives you the most variety and gets you places you presumably have not been before on both trips.

Also, if you really want some time to yourselves at Aulani you could look at booking a room for a couple of nights before your friends get there. On our first trip we actually did this but at the end of the trip. After 2 weeks touring Oahu and the Big Island with the extended family we returned for a couple of nights in a hotel room at Aulani just ourselves :)

Jim

I'd recommend going to Aulani twice. You didn't mention whether you've ever visited Oahu, so the first time you could experience just Aulani and when your friends visit you can also explore Oahu. There's so much to see/do on the island that even in two visits, you won't get to everything.

In either case (Aulani or DCL) you'll have a fantastic vacation!

I would definitely choose a solo Disney cruise and Aulani with friends. I've been on 10+ solo cruise and I've even been to Aulani solo. There is so much to do in Oahu aside from the resort that you and your friends will enjoy.

We love cruising and have points at Aulani. Went to Aulani (DH and I) and took my brother and SIL, 2 bedroom unit ocean view. It was great, did lots of things together (we walked Diamond Head and I got the T-shirt too) and separately. Two years later we brought them on a cruise (W. Caribbean). SIL was sea sick half the time, did totally different shore excursions and ate dinner together. Not as much fun as Aulani. From now on DH and I cruise and we'll bring family to places on solid ground.

Having done DCL enough to be platinum, including the Hawaii cruises in 2012 & 2015, and have been to Aulani 4 times, my first question is:

Where do you live ?(you need not be specific, just "east coast" or wherever).

The reason I ask is that for us, living in FL, Hawaii is a very long trip, which we make every single year because we love, love Hawaii! But we stay a good while on our trips, never less than 2 weeks for us. I feel super blessed to be able to do so, and owning DVC and another TS allows us to do this.

Aulani is a very special place, and for us, our favorite Disney resort anywhere. You have bought at a very wonderful DVC resort!

Having done DCL enough to be platinum, including the Hawaii cruises in 2012 & 2015, and have been to Aulani 4 times, my first question is:

Where do you live ?(you need not be specific, just "east coast" or wherever).

The reason I ask is that for us, living in FL, Hawaii is a very long trip, which we make every single year because we love, love Hawaii! But we stay a good while on our trips, never less than 2 weeks for us. I feel super blessed to be able to do so, and owning DVC and another TS allows us to do this.

Aulani is a very special place, and for us, our favorite Disney resort anywhere. You have bought at a very wonderful DVC resort!

We’re in WI so it’s about a 9 hour flight for us too! We would stay 7-9 nights

We’re in WI so it’s about a 9 hour flight for us too! We would stay 7-9 nights

Hmmm. PP's have made some excellent points. I really do not think you can make a "bad" decision here. Both your options sound glorious! pixiedust:

I will say that part of the beauty of Hawaii is having days to just "be". Not be running around sight-seeing, just sitting on the beach or with those views and letting it all sink in and rest your soul. 9 nights would be very nice. It will give you a little time to adjust to HST (Hawaii does NOT do daylight savings time), and really enjoy your new home resort! Congrats on your purchase! You will love it! Happy planning, whatever you decide! :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter