Aulani - Starlit Hui Question

wvhokie

Earning My Ears
We are going to Hawaii in over a month and we are spending part of the trip in Kauai and part of the trip at Aulani. We have never been to a luau but I heard that the Starlit Hui show is just as good as a luau show. Show we go to a luau in Kauai or should we just skip the luau and go see the show at Aulani?

Thanks!

The Starlit Hui is wonderful and fun. We loved it. It is not a substitute for a full-on traditional luau.

- Dreams (returned from Aulani yesterday and wishing she were still there)

I have not been to the Starlit Hui but hope to do so in February. I have been to 3 different luaus, including the highest rated ones on Oahu and Maui, and I guess I am just not a luau person. I don't like the food, am not that fond of rum drinks. The only reason to go is the entertainment but I would rather see that in a non-luau venue. We will be going to the Polynesian Culture center again this year. I prefer that to a luau. JHHO. YMMV.

Do you need to book for the Starlit Hui?

No. It is a free show and it is available to all guests staying at Aulani. No booking required. You will want to get there early if close up seating is important to you.

- Dreams

I have a bunch of Starlit Hui videos on You Tube. If you want, I can post the links here. Suffice it to say I think Starlit Hui is VERY well done. We've been to many luaus over the years, and most are hugely overrated. I thought the Hui show was so well done and so authentic, that I wouldn't spend the money on a luau unless you have never done one before. The Luau should be about the food, anyway, and very few are even moderately good in that department either. FYI, the best Luau we have done was the one at the King Kamehaha in Kona, and we've done that one twice.

We are going to be at Aulani soon - what nights are they currently running the Starlit Hui, and is there any way to tell in advance what nights it will run the week we are there? The sample 'Iwa on the Disney site looks like Mon/Thurs only but I wasn't sure if that was accurate on a weekly basis. I'd be curious to know if the other listings in the sample 'Iwa are spot on also for planning purposes.

We were at Aulani last month and yes, the Starlit Hui is currently only Mon and Thu nights. Monday's show was rained out, so the Thursday show was really crowded. I enjoyed the show, but the kids (11 and 9) complained (they really just wanted to go back to the pools). I was glad we didn't pay for a luau given how much they complained. The show is nice, but I agree it is not a replacement for a luau if you think that's something you will enjoy. It is about 30 min tops, and then the characters come out for a dance party.

In my opinion the Starlight Hui is a fun show, although not really traditional hula. I enjoyed the little crafts and games they had on the lawn before the show more than the actual show. Given the fact that you don't pay extra for it, it's a great little show. If you want to see a more traditional polynesian show check out the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Heidi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter