Aulani Split Stay

Willow1213

DIS Veteran
Hey DISBoard Fam -

Planning our first ever Hawaii trip for our family of 3 (Mom, Dad and 7 yr old son). We are Disney lovers, so the idea of staying at Aulani is a dream for me. However my husband is leery of 1. the high cost of Aulani and 2. Wanting this to be a "non-Disney" trip

So my question is this, has anyone done a split stay with one of the more popular Waikiki hotels? What was your experience, and if you did would you recommend Aulani as the first half or last half of a 6 night trip?

We currently are booked in a 1 bed suite (not a villa) for around the same price per night as renting a studio through one of the reputable DVC rental companies. If we opted to rent, do any of the companies have any sort of cancellation policy, even 60+ days in advance?

You're going to get a lot of conflicting opinions on this, but my personal belief is that Waikiki is gross and I would avoid it at all costs. I don't even like to visit there, let alone stay there. It's just like any urban beach environment that you can find on the mainland. If you want Waikiki, go to Miami instead and save yourself a fortune.

If you really want to do something that's not Aulani, I would do Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore.

The magic of Hawaii is the time you spend "in the country," i.e. away from Honolulu.

I'd also recommend extending your trip if at all possible. I'd want at least 7 or 8 nights to make the flights worth it.

Tell your husband to rest assured. Aulani is a Hawaii resort by Disney, it's not a Disney resort in Hawaii.

Hey DISBoard Fam -

Planning our first ever Hawaii trip for our family of 3 (Mom, Dad and 7 yr old son). We are Disney lovers, so the idea of staying at Aulani is a dream for me. However my husband is leery of 1. the high cost of Aulani and 2. Wanting this to be a "non-Disney" trip

So my question is this, has anyone done a split stay with one of the more popular Waikiki hotels? What was your experience, and if you did would you recommend Aulani as the first half or last half of a 6 night trip?

We currently are booked in a 1 bed suite (not a villa) for around the same price per night as renting a studio through one of the reputable DVC rental companies. If we opted to rent, do any of the companies have any sort of cancellation policy, even 60+ days in advance?
This is extremely common practice among folks on these boards. Many people do split stays in Waikiki or on other islands. We've done both (other islands and Waikiki). Most recently, when we were there this past June/July, we stayed the first four nights in the Outrigger Waikiki and the last 6 nights at Aulani (we own there). We hadn't done Waikiki previously, and it was enjoyable. If we were to do it again, we'd probably do one less night there. We liked the Outrigger--we had an oceanfront room, and it was spacious. The location was great! I'd also consider staying longer if at all possible. Assuming you live on the mainland USA, it's a long and somewhat arduous trip to get there. You'll want to stay as long as possible. IMO, 7 days is the very shortest trip I'd consider.

I second Turtle Bay!
You guys must overestimate my budget! Turtle Bay is $900++ per night!

We were able to use points to pay for our flights with the Southwest sale (that ended yesterday) and are going during a spring break so we can't extend our time beyond what we have.

I'm not a Waikiki lover, but I do enjoy spending a few hours in that area. Since it is your first trip I would do a few nights in the Waikiki area (we stay at the Marriott Waikiki) and then go to Aulani.

khertz actually has a trip report here in the forum and they did a split stay. Here's the link: Experience the Aloha! June 2021 Oahu/Aulani TR

I think most people who do split stays prefer to go to Aulani at the end of their trip, as it is relaxing and lower-key. Of course, there's no hard and fast rule about it, but I certainly prefer to end at Aulani, rather than start there.

Waikiki is the Hawaiian version of South Beach.... A big commercial city with an ocean view. If you're into that, you could save money just going to Miami. If you can't tell, I'm not a fan. For a 6 night trip, I'd prefer to "camp" at a single spot and not have to move especially since Oahu isn't that big. Losing 1/2 a day on a 6 night trip just moving, doesn't sound like a good use of time.

For you husband, I once heard an imagineer, I think it was Joe Rohde, describe Aulani as big H little d, Disney in Hawaii. While there are some Disney pieces like characters, they're avoidable and the whole place is setup to emphasize Hawaii... Its hard to describe if you haven't been there but it is probably the least "in your face" Disney property I have ever been too.

As far as timing, I'd do your relaxing at Aulani and your touring from Waikiki. Most of the tourism spots either offer coaching from Waikiki or its a shorter drive. The question is do you want to lead off your trip with beach time or end it?

As far as timing, I'd do your relaxing at Aulani and your touring from Waikiki. Most of the tourism spots either offer coaching from Waikiki or its a shorter drive. The question is do you want to lead off your trip with beach time or end it?
This is a great point tankin. We were going to try and do our touring in a short span so we didn't have to pay to park at $50 per day for all 6 nights, but renting points would include parking. May be enough to convince him to swap to Aulani for the whole trip!

How about an AirBnB or something not in Waikiki? I like Turtle Bay too but understand the $$$$ aspect. I am with many others on here Waikiki can be found in Miami and LA for much cheaper. Personally I would find a place on the North Shore.

Stay at the Ko Olina beach villas,next door.Nicer accomodations and a lot more for your money.

If you've never been to Hawaii, I think Waikiki is a must-do, even if it's just to walk down Kalakaua or the promenade. (There's no real promenade per se - it's just the city's official name for the path that starts at Hilton Hawaiian Village and continues through Waikiki Beach and ends at the Natatorium.) It would be like going to Las Vegas and not driving the strip.

The Gold Coast hotels (Lotus, New Otani, etc.) are a good compromise for someone who wants to be near all the action, but finds Waikiki to be gritty. Gold Coast hotels are next to a quiet, ritzy residential neighborhood (Diamond Head) and about a 10 minute walk from all the action of Waikiki. The hotels front Kaimana beach where you'll find more locals than tourists. It's a boutique hotel experience and prices can range from about $150-$300/night.

I would save Aulani for the end of the vacation. Just spend a few days at the resort and relax.

I'd stay away from Turtle Bay for the time being. While the grounds have recently been renovated, the rooms have not. Completely unacceptable at the prices they charge!

DVC Rental Store has a cancellation policy where you can receive a credit that's good for up to 2 years.

You guys must overestimate my budget! Turtle Bay is $900++ per night!

We were able to use points to pay for our flights with the Southwest sale (that ended yesterday) and are going during a spring break so we can't extend our time beyond what we have.
Go on vrbo .
I just rented a condo in turtle bay.
Much cheaper. I just paid $1100 for 3 nights and that is over New Years holiday time.
I also would recommend longer if possible
Happy planning
Kerri

I'd do Aulani the 2nd half. The leeward side of Oahu is quieter and slower paced than the Waikiki area. We did a split stay several years ago, 3 nights at the Aston Waikiki Beach (AWB) and then 4 nights at Aulani. When we stay in Waikiki we like the AWB. Tiki's Grill & Bar has good food, views and live hawaiian music. The Waikiki Trolley's pink and red lines stop there and the blue line is a short walk away. Beach right across the street, a block from the zoo and a nice stroll up Kalakaua Ave for shopping. We loved our 4 nights at Aulani and still didn't get to do everything there! Do some shopping at Island Country Market across the street your first day at Aulani (why stock the fridge with $9 beers from Kālepa's Store when you can get a 6-pack for $10).

We just did this. Spent 2 nights in Waikiki (Sheraton) and 9 nights at Aulani. We've visited Hawaii 6 times now and really didn't have a reason to spend the 2 nights in Waikiki this trip other than some travel circumstances. Being retired, we have the luxury of time so spending a couple of more days in Hawaii isn't a hardship. ;)

However, to the specific question, no way would I split a trip 3 & 3. Spend 1 or 2 nights in Waikiki before going to Aulani.

I will echo the sentiment here. Were were just there. Did 2 Waikiki and 8 Aulani. Originally had 3 and 7... Sooo glad we switched to 2 then 8.

Just to elaborate on my comment. There really isn't that much to do in Waikiki. Yes, there is a beautiful beach with great views of Diamond Head. Yes, there are a lot of shopping opportunities (mostly high-end) but overall, you are in a city. You need to get out and see the whole island with its varied topology.

I am one of the people that likes Waikiki and even I wouldn’t recommend a true split of time. We did it for 2 nights after a week in Ko Olina. If you want a true split I would maybe see a second island (we have been to the big island a few times and love it).

Here is what we liked about it — we had two excellent dinners that we could walk to. The walk home had a fun buzz to it (like south beach a bit). I also loved the history of the Royal Hawaiian- it had the feeling of the Breakers in Palm Beach to me. The adventurous in our group took surf lessons there and had an amazing time and it was just a 2 minute walk from our hotel. The shopping was also great - but that is not something that interests everyone. The view of diamond head off our balcony was iconic and I will definitely always try to add a night or two in Waikiki going forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter