Aulani must do’s

Mercdesman

Mouseketeer
I just booked our first trip to our home resort, Aulani. I am just starting my information gathering. What are the must do’s there? Where is the best place for the luau, I hear the one at Aulani is not the best. Has anyone taken a helicopter tour of the island? If so, any recommendations? I would love to hear everything there is to do there and what to maybe avoid.

we would like to do a luau somewhere, we are going to go to Pearl Harbor, and we want to go to the dole plant. What else is there to do there?

Actually I think the aulani luau is one of the best and most authentic. The food has always been great.
We dont go anywhere out of aulani anymore because we have been there several times and have been all around the island. But We have enjoyed Pearl Harbor, driving the north shore, Dole, kualoa ranch movie tour, waimia falls and garden. We have flown a helicopter on kuau but not Oahu.

I've only done the luaus at Paradise Cove and Aulani. We enjoyed the Aulani luau far more and will continue to do their luau in the future rather than an offsite luau.

For offsite activities, we haven't done any excursions. We've only been to Oahu during post-COVID reopenings, so some options were limited or required planning too far in advance. On a weekly Oahu trip, we visit one of the North Shore or Windward side beaches, a Pearl Harbor museum, and a quick visit to Waikiki for unique dining and shopping. Dole is a good pit stop on the way to or from the North Shore, but I wouldn't plan a day around it.

What else is there to do there?
Others will give answers with the main tourist stuff and the options near Aulani. But I will add one thing I did when my family was there earlier this summer. Drive across the island and visit Lanikani beach. It was simply the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Its not easy. You have to drive across the island (about 45-50 minutes from Aulani). And the ritzy locals make it hard to get to (the nearest public access is not very close to any public parking. But it was worth the effort. you will not regret it

This is going to very much depend on if this is your first visit, or if it is a repeat visit.

If it's your first visit, I would recommend Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl Cemetery, Haleiwa, Hanauma Bay, Waikiki, Leonard's Malasadas (actually, I recommend those no matter how many visits you have) among others. Also, make sure you carve out a few days just to spend at the resort.

This is going to very much depend on if this is your first visit, or if it is a repeat visit.

If it's your first visit, I would recommend Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl Cemetery, Haleiwa, Hanauma Bay, Waikiki, Leonard's Malasadas (actually, I recommend those no matter how many visits you have) among others. Also, make sure you carve out a few days just to spend at the resort.
This will be our first time there.

We love driving to the North Shore to swim, eat, shop etc. (Haleiwa, Waimea Bay, Sunset Beach etc.). As mentioned above, Lanikai Beach (near Kailua ) is beautiful. There are also some nice hikes along the ridge there (pillbox hike). I think everyone should hike Diamond Head once (must reserve now ). Going to Waikiki once per trip is plenty for us now - some nice restaurants, sunset mai tai, shopping at ala moana, beach walk etc. We have driven all over the island to try out different beaches, take scenic drives along the coast or through the various passes etc. Last trip we did a shark cage swim out of Haleiwa - it was a beautiful boat trip and amazing experience.

The UTV tour on Kualoa Ranch was a lot of fun. I also recommend taking a tour of the island with a tour guide. We had 8 people so we were able to book a private tour with Hi-5. It was nice because they took us to all different spots including Waimea Falls, Dole Plantation, etc.

We love driving to the North Shore to swim, eat, shop etc. (Haleiwa, Waimea Bay, Sunset Beach etc.). As mentioned above, Lanikai Beach (near Kailua ) is beautiful. There are also some nice hikes along the ridge there (pillbox hike). I think everyone should hike Diamond Head once (must reserve now ). Going to Waikiki once per trip is plenty for us now - some nice restaurants, sunset mai tai, shopping at ala moana, beach walk etc. We have driven all over the island to try out different beaches, take scenic drives along the coast or through the various passes etc. Last trip we did a shark cage swim out of Haleiwa - it was a beautiful boat trip and amazing experience.
Of all the beaches we’ve been to, what would you say are the top 3?

Tagging on to the OP’s question— does anyone know where I could find a comprehensive list of what activities can be booked in advance (and when)?

I second this. The North Shore is a completely different experience than Ko Olina and the Honolulu area. We went to both Kauai and Oahu, and the North Shore of Oahu is much more like Kauai. We really enjoyed that, though I understand that it's probably quite different in the winter when the surf season is in full force.

We've been to Hawaii at least 12 times - even long before Aulani was built. I ALWAYS visit the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor - it's something I have to do.

I recommend a drive along the North Shore and the Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC). Some like the Dole Plantation (not me, but the rest of my family liked it).

Visit some of the many other beaches to swim and snorkel (be aware and cautious of the sea state and currents, and NEVER leave anything valuable visible in your rental car at any time).

Check out some of the local food trucks or smaller restaurants serving local Hawaiian favorites.

I think a visit to the Royal Palace in Honolulu is worth at least one visit. Include a stroll through China Town.

Do a luau. It can be kind of touristy but they are lots of fun and when you've done it once you can decide it you ever want to do it again or not. I've done several luaus - not every visit - though I plan to do another this next upcoming trip. I've not done Aulani but I have done Paradise Cove next door (about 15 years ago).

The Nuuanu Pali Lookout is worth a visit. Has some great views (but be prepared for some strong winds which can also be a bit chilly).

My kids and I did a guided bus tour at Kualoa Ranch were films such as Jurassic Park, Jurassic World, Pearl Harbor, 50 First Dates, and numerous others, as well as Hawaii Five-O, Magnum PI and Lost were filmed. My kids really liked seeing the "log" from Jurassic Park.

Lots and lots to see and do. I recommend getting a guide book from your local library and see what they suggest.

Last edited:
We caught some of the Aulani luau from our balcony and I admit I found it boring. We had already attended a luau in Waimea Valley, it's the Toa Luau. Reviews were so good for this luau and the price was also super reasonable for the five of us. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in a luau other than the Aulani one. With your luau price you also get to visit Waimea Falls, my kids enjoyed swimming there before the luau. The food was delicious and plentiful and the luau and pre-luau activities were excellent. Everyone there was lovely, and the focus is definitely on family. The luau itself is not only influenced by Hawaii but by other areas in Polynesia.

I loved the visit to North Shore. Haleiwa is a super cute town with lots of small shops to visit for souvenirs, shave ice, ice cream, etc. We were there in March so some of the beaches were not really swimmable at that time (waves too big).

Tagging on to the OP’s question— does anyone know where I could find a comprehensive list of what activities can be booked in advance (and when)?
If you mean activities at Aulani itself, there are some on-property activities that can be booked through the Aulani app but in a weird way - you have to go to the Aulani app, click on Aulani Resort at the bottom, then choose "Resort Locations" at the top, and go to Pau Hana Room where then you'll see a link for "reserve your sport at Pau Hana Room" - this is for things like making mickey ears, ukulele lessons etc. It looks like you can book a few months in advance but in reality I think it's only about 30 days in advance. You can also pre-book Aunty's in a similar way.

We caught some of the Aulani luau from our balcony and I admit I found it boring. We had already attended a luau in Waimea Valley, it's the Toa Luau. Reviews were so good for this luau and the price was also super reasonable for the five of us. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in a luau other than the Aulani one. With your luau price you also get to visit Waimea Falls, my kids enjoyed swimming there before the luau. The food was delicious and plentiful and the luau and pre-luau activities were excellent. Everyone there was lovely, and the focus is definitely on family. The luau itself is not only influenced by Hawaii but by other areas in Polynesia.

I loved the visit to North Shore. Haleiwa is a super cute town with lots of small shops to visit for souvenirs, shave ice, ice cream, etc. We were there in March so some of the beaches were not really swimmable at that time (waves too big).

If you mean activities at Aulani itself, there are some on-property activities that can be booked through the Aulani app but in a weird way - you have to go to the Aulani app, click on Aulani Resort at the bottom, then choose "Resort Locations" at the top, and go to Pau Hana Room where then you'll see a link for "reserve your sport at Pau Hana Room" - this is for things like making mickey ears, ukulele lessons etc. It looks like you can book a few months in advance but in reality I think it's only about 30 days in advance. You can also pre-book Aunty's in a similar way.
Thank you! I did poke through the all and figure out how to book some of the activities (including kids club) in advance—but not as far out as November yet. Going to keep trying to check back weekly and see when we get closer to my arrival date. We were able to book surf lessons off property through the Aulani concierge recommended site.

I just booked our first trip to our home resort, Aulani. I am just starting my information gathering. What are the must do’s there? Where is the best place for the luau, I hear the one at Aulani is not the best. Has anyone taken a helicopter tour of the island? If so, any recommendations? I would love to hear everything there is to do there and what to maybe avoid.

we would like to do a luau somewhere, we are going to go to Pearl Harbor, and we want to go to the dole plant. What else is there to do there?
We are here right now. This is my family’s second trip to Hawai’i and my 20+ There have already been a lot of great recommendations, so I won’t repeat, but will add some thoughts:

1) We enjoyed Aulani luau and I recommend getting the preferred seating. Picture attached. Comparing it to watching it from a balcony room… my guess is it’s like the difference between watching a concert in the nose bleeds vs the VIP section. The audio is the same, but you have a much different connection with the performers.

2) If this is your home resort and you plan to come back every 1-3 years (as opposed to a “once in a lifetime trip”), then I would recommend not to overschedule other events on the island. Leave some time for a kick back resort day or two where you can get down early to reserve a set of prime chairs in the shade at 7am and enjoy the pools, ocean, river, food/beverage service.

3) We pre-booked a couple of Auntys days for my 9-year old, the sushi/sake class, the mimosa/macaron class, stargazing, and the luau in advance. If you want a private casabella or cabana you need to get that well in advance. The best ones are sometimes book a year out.

4) We planned to go to Kualoa Ranch, North Shore, and the Dole Plantation. But my FIL’s back started hurting and so we audibled to make those resort days. No one was unhappy to spend more time at the resort. We were able to go to Pearl Harbor, but the navy stairs on the Big Mo really wiped out the grandparents…

5) We went to Waikiki to do some shopping and have lunch at Dukes. Having to drive around there in the middle of the trip puts the relaxation of Ko Olina in perspective. However, Aulani is always hopping with people and lots of little kids… it’s like the Grand Californian on the Pacific Ocean.

Attachments

• IMG_0668.jpeg
    IMG_0668.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
If you want a private casabella or cabana you need to get that well in advance. The best ones are sometimes book a year out.
I was just poking around on the app and can’t figure out where/how to book the casabella and cabanas. It specifically states the beach ones are only available day of—but it looks like there are a very limited number at AMA AMA— are there any others?

Must do: go to front desk and demand the return of the breakfast buffet and the welcome lei.

I was just poking around on the app and can’t figure out where/how to book the casabella and cabanas. It specifically states the beach ones are only available day of—but it looks like there are a very limited number at AMA AMA— are there any others?
You have to give the resort a phone call. The private casabellas are in front of AMA AMA, the cabanas are all over the property.

ar old, the sushi/sake class, the mimosa/macaron class, stargazing, and the luau in advance. If you want a private casabella or cabana you need to get that well in advance. The best ones are sometimes book a year out.
Just wondering how you pre-booked the sushi/saki and mimosas classes. I can't seem to find them on the app. Do you have to call?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter