Aulani in 11 days any tips?

MonsterWDWmom

DIS Veteran
Hi, everyone, my family and I are going to Aulani in 11 days on a Make A Wish trip! I did not plan anything about this trip so I am a little nervous, to say the least. I will get the itinerary on Monday but beforehand any tips on what to do when we are there. It will be myself, my husband and my two daughters who are 7 and 9 years old!

What to do in Hawaii or at Aulani? What do you guys like - activities, outdoor stuff, sightseeing, beach?

One thing I'd recommend regardless of your answers is Kualoa Ranch. Seems to be something for every age there.

While at Aulani, my son enjoyed Aunties Beach house, the kids club. He enjoyed being able to hang out with other kids and we enjoyed adult time.
Pearl Harbor is great, even if you don't go out to the memorial.
Aloha Stadium Swap Meet is great for cheap souvenirs.
Paddle Boarding in the cove at Aulani is fun. You can rent the boards from them.
For my family, the Dole Plantation was disappointing. It seemed like a tourist trap to us. Other people on here have enjoyed it though.

Our favorite excursion was Hanauma Bay before it opened. We followed someone else's tip on not acclimating to the time change, which was the best tip ever! We were up early for everthing! We missed all the crowds at Hanauma Bay by arriving at 5:45am and stayed till about 9. We had the beach mostly to ourselves, got in free, and were leaving as hoards of people poured in. I think it was my favorite beach there (the lagoon at Aulani was second.) We bought snorkel gear at Costco there as the rental shop at Hanauma Bay wasn't open that early, and I wished I had bought it at home and packed it...Costco online was cheaper than Costco in Hawaii. Snorkeling in the beautiful morning sun, seeing thousands of fish, and having the place to ourselves was the highlight of our trip. Amazing!! Our second favorite excursion was the Jungle Expedition tour at Kualoa Ranch. It was stunningly beautiful, and our whole family loved it - our teens, our 4 year old, and us! We did not like the Atlantis Submarine at all. The north shore was fun to see too. Would definitely do that again. The Polynesian Cultural Center was just ok....something to do...probably only once for us. Their luau was good - the opportunity to eat poke was awesome! I would try the Paradise Cove one next door to Aualani next time. At the resort, the entire family really, really loved the ukulele lessons and hubby and I loved the morning paddleboard fitness classes. If you get a chance, the spa at Aulani is seriously a piece of heaven on earth. It is worth the splurge, and if you go, give yourself a good 4 hours or more. The spa was a highlight of the trip too!

Following closely since I'll be there in 17 days! Has anyone done either of the Big or Little Adventure hiking tour expeditions (Huaka‘i Iki or Huaka‘i Nui)?

Our favorite excursion was Hanauma Bay before it opened. We followed someone else's tip on not acclimating to the time change, which was the best tip ever! We were up early for everthing! We missed all the crowds at Hanauma Bay by arriving at 5:45am and stayed till about 9. We had the beach mostly to ourselves, got in free, and were leaving as hoards of people poured in. I think it was my favorite beach there (the lagoon at Aulani was second.) We bought snorkel gear at Costco there as the rental shop at Hanauma Bay wasn't open that early, and I wished I had bought it at home and packed it...Costco online was cheaper than Costco in Hawaii. Snorkeling in the beautiful morning sun, seeing thousands of fish, and having the place to ourselves was the highlight of our trip. Amazing!! Our second favorite excursion was the Jungle Expedition tour at Kualoa Ranch. It was stunningly beautiful, and our whole family loved it - our teens, our 4 year old, and us! We did not like the Atlantis Submarine at all. The north shore was fun to see too. Would definitely do that again. The Polynesian Cultural Center was just ok....something to do...probably only once for us. Their luau was good - the opportunity to eat poke was awesome! I would try the Paradise Cove one next door to Aualani next time. At the resort, the entire family really, really loved the ukulele lessons and hubby and I loved the morning paddleboard fitness classes. If you get a chance, the spa at Aulani is seriously a piece of heaven on earth. It is worth the splurge, and if you go, give yourself a good 4 hours or more. The spa was a highlight of the trip too!

Can you give more details about getting to Humana Bay early and getting in free? I have not heard about this. We are going next week and plan to go to Humana Bay. Thanks!

Can you give more details about getting to Humana Bay early and getting in free? I have not heard about this. We are going next week and plan to go to Humana Bay. Thanks!
Even if you don't get in free, it was the best $30 (for 4 of us) that we spent on the trip. Amazing place. And also don't be deterred if you don't "go early!" We had to pick either Diamond Head or Hanauma Bay to do early; the other would have to be in the afternoon. We figured hiking early and swimming later would be best, and it was. And many of the people who arrive at HB early leave around mid-day, and parking spots free back up. I believe @nkereina gave that advice, and it worked great for us. You will LOVE HB!!

Even if you don't get in free, it was the best $30 (for 4 of us) that we spent on the trip. Amazing place. And also don't be deterred if you don't "go early!" We had to pick either Diamond Head or Hanauma Bay to do early; the other would have to be in the afternoon. We figured hiking early and swimming later would be best, and it was. And many of the people who arrive at HB early leave around mid-day, and parking spots free back up. I believe @nkereina gave that advice, and it worked great for us. You will LOVE HB!!

Depending on if you or any one else with you gets chilled easily, you may want to go in the afternoon anyway. I find that on a cloudy day it can get pretty chilly in the early morning water there, even though it is a shallow bay.

Also, keep in mind Hanauma Bay is closed on Tuesdays

My wife and I just got back from 7 days and it was very relaxing. We spent most of our time at the various pools, the beach, and especially the lazy river. I can recommend both Ama Ama and Makahiki. The buffet in particular has a wide variety and is definitely a cut above most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter